DeathscytheX

Dualshock 4 Back Button Attachment

There is a lot to digest here.

The current product

Why wait to the end of the generation to make this? I have my thoughts on that later. Its interesting, but I have questions about it's ergonomics. That being said, this is a step in the right direction. Xbox has had its elite controller for years now. A $30 add on is nice rather than a $200 controller. Scuf and Cinch are great concepts but the quality is notorious. These 3rd party companies take a controller and mod it for you. Its not original hardware, its stuff compiled on top of the DS4's hardware, making it do things it wasn't originally intended to do. The paddles and buttons fail after less than a year. For the price you pay its unacceptable, but for the convenience it provides, people pay up.  Nacon and Astro makes controllers but they're not faithful to the DS4 design, and are often large, clunky, and cheap feeling. With something made by Sony for their product I'd hope this lasts. But I have a feeling this will drain your battery even faster.

Again, why?

I have a feeling this is just a test run, or a preview. Maybe this OLED screen on the back is what is actually on the front of the DS5? Maybe the DS5 has programmable back buttons? Maybe they're trying to perfect the DS5 version by putting this out there? Scuf isn't exactly competition right now, They're paying Sony for a licenses to be the official "pro" controller of PS4. But Sony could make way more money with this accessory if its a success, or moreso with their official controller next gen.

Should you get this?

It depends. This is a niche accessory. If you're playing mostly single player games don't bother. If you like to play FPS and want to be super sweaty? I couldn't recommend looking into this enough. Having back buttons is a huge advantage. Being able to reload and jump without ever taking your thumb off the right stick is something you won't be able to live without once you taste it for the first time. And if you're the ultimate MLG pro try hard, this thing has 3 profiles that you can swap on the fly. Scuf will charge you an extra $15 for a similar feature that you need a weird tool to adjust and can't be done on the fly mid game. 

This is the evolution of the controller we need. Not motion sensors, game functional screens, touch pads, or light bars. More buttons that can be programmed the way you want them to be.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Thats a nice piece of hardware. I hope that screen goes into hibernation or that battery will get sucked way too fast. But yeah.. why now? All these years later. The only thing I can think is the PS5 will have backwards compatability with PS4 controllers, and the PS5 controllers will have this feature by default? It could be sony's way of letting people upgrade their existing controllers for the new console so they're not missing out on features exclusive to the PS5 controllers.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg