DeathscytheX

Godfall

6 minutes ago, Sledgstone said:

That music does not match that trailer at all. XD the combat looks good but I'm getting a Destiny vibe from this game.. like instead of a shooter it's a fantasy hack and slash.

Unfortunantly using rap to make trailers is a norm now. Even Mortal Kombat did it. -_-; Its def going to be a looter slasher. Gearbox who makes Borderlands had a heavy hand in making it, so we'll see.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

The first 20 seconds of that video I couldn't take my eyes off the sword clipping through the cape. XD just like guild wars 2. XD

That was a much better video, but I'd like to see a HUD, mini map, etc. I'm guessing they'll make this multiplayer only like Destiny and Anthem. It's the best way for them to sell microtransaction armor and weapon skins if everyone can show off to other players how much they can whale. This is a game I'd never buy first without seeing some solid reviews about it.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

No microtransactions or DLC. I'm surprised. I assumed every looter game was designed to have DLC come out every three months to wipe all your gear progression and make you start the grind all over again to keep everyone playing endlessly or be left behind. I like that Godfall won't be doing that. It actually makes it more interesting to me now. I like the shield combat. As long as there is a good campaign I would like to play this now. I hope they implement a decent UI, I noticed there's no map, no hit point indicators for enemies and no screen to equip gear. Regardless I like where the game is headed now.

I believe this is this studios first major game, and it is surprising since Gearbox has apparently helped them... but being a big release like this without being a major named studio, they probably don't have the resources to run a game as a service. It will be interesting to see the longevity of this game. They'll really have to make it in the spirit of Diablo 2 where there is enough variation to keep coming back.

Although this is early stage development footage, and there probably is all of that.. the lack of UI might be the way of the future. If you ever play Ghost of Tsushima you'll get to experience a game, that in my opinion, is the first to successfully implement the environment as the UI. The lack of clutter on the screen while not having to check a map or objective every 3 minutes really added to the experience. It wasn't perfect, but I'd like to see this strategy for more non competitive games. Tsushima had the HP/Resolve meter in the bottom corner and that was it, aside from special objectives progress when doing camps/strongholds. Any abilities/weapon menus only popped up when you pressed the button to switch, and there was no need for a minimap with the the guiding winds, and ludicrous draw distances you could see. Maybe it was a little less convenient at times, but climbing a tower or cliff and looking around, or seeing a smoke plume, or other type of signal from ground level, really enhanced the experience rather than looking at menus and symbols.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Sadly though I think Ghost is going to be an odd outlier for the minimal to no UI approach (plus it's very obvious that SP designed the game this way because they were going for the Kurosawa feel and aesthetic). The gameplay and the sheer vast openness of the map and environment made it so a UI would hamper you more than help you (plus the game is breathtakingly beautiful and marring it with anything more then they did would be an atrocity). Plus, as you noted, they implemented a vast variety of things to hide what wasn't needed until you actually called upon it (I love the guiding winds mechanic and think more games need to implement something like it). Based on that little bit of gameplay footage I'm of the opinion Godfall needs a UI or they're really going to have to figure out how to implement some sort of minimalistic hp tracker because this type of game needs some way of tracking that stuff (I mean I'll dump on Destiny any day of the week but there UI implementation is crisp and, imo, the ideal way of going about a UI in a looter type game (though I don't like their quest tracker in the least as I think that's garish as hell and right in your face)).

Then again I'm still not all that impressed by what I see. It looks fun and I'd definitely be all about those dual blades but quite honestly I think it looks rather meh. Then again looters in general just aren't my thing anymore and I blame Destiny for killing that passion in me. Ever since playing it I just can't get interested or find joy in playing anything remotely of the genre (old school looters like D2 and Torchlight are exceptions because that's my jam, it's these new ones that lack anything remotely interesting for me).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I'm definitely going to play Ghost at some point, but aside from the clips I've seen of it the only other minimalistic UI game I've played is Dead Space. I'm about 5 hours in on it and it has no minimap, or anything cluttering the screen. The health bar and statis charge level is visible on the back of the armor and ammo is displayed as a virtual popup screen for each gun when being aimed. I didn't think I'd like this but I've gotten used to it and almost prefer it now. There is no clutter on the screen at all and instead of opening the menu to see my map, I click R3 and he does some objective homing scan on the ground to point me on the right path. More games should do this. And if godfall can implement it like Ghost or Dead Space in some way then it'll be nice to be able to see more of the action and environments without having to stare at dot on a minimap.

I say that but for some games it's not practical to have a minimilast UI. They toned down alot for BFV and that sucked ass. I'd rather shoot at red doritos in the background than try to see enemies in the mess of environmental destruction, bad lighting and particle effects.