DeathscytheX

Indivisible

I picked this up today after being fed facebook ads for it. At first I thought it was just some mobile game so I ignored the ad for the most part then as some sites posted about it I looked into it. It was $39.99, only 5gb, and 30 hours of content? The artwork was so beautiful I bought into it. So far its a lot of fun. The hybrid turn base-action combo is pretty interesting to where I can bear it. Level design is what also made me take the plunge it's pretty much exactly like DUST: An Elysian Tail. Secret areas inaccessible until you get the right ability/tools. This will feed my gaming needs until COD comes out.

EDIT: there is a demo for this on PS4 as well.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Deep into it, this game is fantastic. I'm glad I discovered it because without some random ad i would have never even known about it. Now that I have a lot of party members, the diversity of set ups you can have is awesome. There are multiple support characters, heavy hitters, jugglers, and well rounded characters. The main character has middle of the road on everything but shes powerful in that she has 2 super moves. One is a powerful beam, and the other allows self revive along with mass healing of everyone that is down or low. This can only proc if she or someone else is down though. You really have to mix up your party. You technically can go without a healer, but you def can't go with all power or everyone with the same attack type. Certain enemies will only take damage if launched, while others need to have their break bar busted by a combo of low and launch attacks. Not every character has a launch or a low attack because their specialty may use the button sequence for the move. For instance, My favorite party member charges up his next attacks by using the low attack button, so he cannot break anyone's defense, while 2 of my healer characters use the launch attack buttons to heal the party. Each character has various attack types, magic projectiles, physical projectiles, and physical attacks. Some enemies can be immune to physical projectiles and others can heal off magical attacks... so even if you have a favorite party set up, you'll still be forced to change it out now and then. Even on top of that, many characters may have similar skill sets but bring different things to the table. Like three that excel at launch attacks, one just does more damage when their target is juggled in the air, one can launch multiple targets and charge the super meter faster, while the other can grapple and throw airborne targets to the ground so one of your stronger characters at ground attacks can set up. Team synergy is everything.

The abilities you get make for some pretty fun platforming, but at times it can be flawed. I've only had some minor frustration with it because it COULD be a little more responsive at times. Not because of bugs or bad programming, its just the way they designed it where some things just have a little too much of a delay than I care for. But for $40, is a solid purchase, for anything less its an absolute steal.

After beating this game today and learning it was a kickstarter/indigogo type release here are my final thoughts.

You'd think this was made by a big triple A company. This game was polished. It suffered from a few minor issues, but overall it was a seamless enjoyable experience. The voice acting was excellent, and while the cut scenes and conversations were mostly old skool still pics with limited motion, It was still done in a superb way to where you're impacted by the emotion of it. The amount of characters in the game was apparently based on how much money it raised. I think they hit a nice limit because although there were many. There were some I never used. And thats even when the story took half my party away temporarily. I had my favorites of each attack type I stuck with, and only swapped out between them as needed.

My only gripe is I would have liked to see a little more platforming. For the most part it was pretty basic and the game waited almost til the end to where you can fully upgrade your offense, defense, and have the full set of areal moves. I guess this may have been because there was a planned game+ but that funding goal wasn't reached. They basically blew their wad on the last map when it came to stringing moves together to traverse the area. The joystick was a little wonky with the directions at times as it would make you go up instead of diagonal. The best remedy to this was using the D pad and pressing the up and left/right buttons.

While the game theoretically lets you back track to older zones, there wasn't much need too. As you gained new abilities that allowed access to previously inaccessible locations, the main quest funnels you back to those areas naturally. This is great because the fast travel system is very limited, as it only allows you to go to the end or the beginning of a map. Some of the areas are huge and fighting your way back to a spot can be tedious if you don't have a reason to be there outside of just finding the currency to upgrade with. But without the back tracking, I'd say I spent a good 40 hours playing the game start to finish. For a 2D side scrolling adventure, that's pretty remarkable. I never felt like the game wasted my time at any point.

In the end its a interesting ARPG, with a fun but flawed story that will keep you entertained for hours on end. The most unique aspect is the hybrid hack and slash turn based system for people like me that hate turn based games.

Spoiler

Why'd they have to go an kill my boy Dhar 3/4ths in tho. 😭