DeathscytheX

Spring 2018 SimulDub review

I'll probably start reviewing these based on what I've watched each season. If I watch one later that I just didn't have time for I'll update the corresponding post. I'll also review them before they're completely done because they all wont end at the same time, and if the ending is a catastrophe I'll update my review. These will be spoiler free as well.

My Hero Academia Season 3 (Will carry over into Summer 2018) 5/5

So far this season has been the best. Two high octane arcs have completed and they've kept an incredible pace since season 2. As I heard from an analysis video before, MHA shows what a shonen jump series can achieve when it takes proper seasonal breaks rather than pumping out episodes endlessly for weeks. The series stays focused and there are no fillers. I can't say enough with how quality the animation is for its action sequences. Its one of the few left that keeps intricate details with very few short cuts.

Black Clover 3/5

This has been going on for a few Funi seasons now. I just caught up and we're in the 40s on ep count. This series had major hype for being the next big thing. Honestly it hasn't really delivered until the current arc. The animation is good, the fights were spotty until this arc, and they cheat you out of a good 3 min of animation by putting up the same pre-opening monologue about the first wizard king killing a demon. I mean 40 episodes later, that little segment needs to go. My main problem with the series is the main character. Hes ultra obnoxious and screams and yells constantly... and its both in the dub and sub (inb4 dub lulz). Asta is like that weirdo that should have been a funny side character that was good in smaller doses. There is plenty of cliche in this series. The lore, the other characters, and just about everything else is what makes this series watchable... just not the protagonist.

Tokyo Ghoul:RE 3/5

Like WTF is even happening here? Like I said before, this season is way more enjoyable than the previous ones, but its so disjointed from the end of season 2. They're really butchering the shit out of the manga, and throwing together arcs they think will look good as an anime, but they aren't doing anything to bridge the gaps. With a bit more work, they could have done it with some proper flashbacks. But no, they just expect you to know what is going on from the get go. The action and gore is superb though.

Steins;Gate 0 5/5

Feels train. The first series was a mind fuck that was so crazy, it was kinda hard for me to pay attention the whole time. I liked it enough to have an emotional attachment to all the characters. This one just makes sure to gut punch you in the feels non stop about the end of the original series, and the latter half of it at that. I would actually recommend the first to anyone that hasn't seen it, just to watch this series. 

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory 5/5

I could almost dock a point for excessive recap eps, but damn this season keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is the most tense anime I've ever watched just about. I think all of but one or two eps end on a crazy ass cliffhanger so far. Overall, the animation quality is good minus the cringeworthy CG car chase scenes. Those are really REAAAALLY bad. But the story, and the ongoing suspense is incredible. The action has been solid, and damn there is some brutal violence. They really got that head shot blood splatter/mist perfected.

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls 2/5

I loved the original Basilisk, It was a well thought out drama tragedy akin to a samurai Romeo + Juliet. The story of this one is pretty weird. It takes place many years after the first. I don't really even understand why anything is happening. The animation style is interesting, and some of the fights are good.... but overall very little makes sense about what is going on and why the conflict is happening.

DARLING in the FRANXX 4/5

This anime is weird, touching, dreary, and crazy. While I have really enjoyed it, I could see other people not doing so. The pacing is a bit wonky in the middle, but the character development is really good, I have a feeling I'll have to redo this review when I see the end. They could leave a lot unanswered, even though they had a huge plot twist last week. They have some pretty wild battles the first half, and then there are a few eps devoid of any action at all, and now we're in the midst of some more crazy action. The influence of the Gurren Lagann team can be felt, but don't expect anything as epic and over the top. This series is much more down to earth and serious. On an emotional tone, its actually pretty dark and f'ed up.

Dances with Dragons 2/5

This is casual watch, when there is nothing else to do. The world building is incredibly weak. Some of the comedy is good, and the fights are pretty entertaining, but kind of like Ouka Ninja Scrolls, its not really clear whats going on. The motives aren't really explained well. Oddly enough this anime opens with the Universal Studios jingle and logo. Maybe that has something to do with the weak story.

HINAMATSURI 4/5

LOL! This series is adorable. Its a slice of life anime that delivers some touching moments, and some great comedy. Its not gut busting funny like Ben-to or My Bride is a Mermaid. But it has it's moments. The dub voice work is pretty fantastic. Since its based on a little girl with super powers and a low ranking yakuza, they can get away with some pretty absurd scenarios. Based off the description, I figured this was going to be an action comedy, but even though it wasn't, I've enjoyed this one very much.

Toji No Miko (Katana Maidens) 4/5

I don't know what made me watch this one. I think it was because I was waiting on another series to pop a new ep. Pleasantly surprised that this was actually pretty decent. I was expecting a Bewbs and Blades or a power girl children's anime. It does lean toward the children's side, but its actually got a pretty complex social and political structure to it. The fights are pretty good, but they really cut corners when it comes to character's battle animation. Its almost ingenious how they did it. The whole premise is these girls fight in a some what holographic but powerful state. They have a glow when they do this to cover up the fact that when they fight they are being CGI'ed rather than drawn. But there are a lot of times when their awkward motions and close ups give it away. It can be pretty jarring at times. I don't get why this decision was made because literally everything else is drawn, including the monsters. Either way, pretty solid story dividend into two arcs. Its worth watching.

Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These 4/5

After watching a few comparison videos, this seems to be just a complete update of the original. The story is the same, and even some if not a lot of the scenes are the same verbatim. It's a mostly political drama with some epic space battles here and there. I love political drama when the world building is solid. There are so many characters, its kind hard to keep up with at times, but I'm getting the hang of it. This is definitely not a series you can watch with one eye on your phone, or playing it in the background. You'd probably get lost pretty fast.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Steins:Gate 0 has been a fucking trip so far and it's only getting more intense (emotionally). Honestly I have to say I'm enjoying this a lot more then I did the first season (though some of the new characters are rubbing me the wrong way (I'm looking at you Kagari)), which reminds me they had the game (first one, not 0 sadly) on sale for the Steam Summer Sale so I picked it up. Will be traversing through it on my vacation in two weeks (can't fucking wait, I hear it's more of a mind trip then the anime was).

Full Metal Panic IV has been a fucking hell of a ride so far, kinda worried considering episode 10 came out last week and I don't feel we've progressed toward a good stopping point yet (really hoping they are gearing up for another season since episode 12 will be the last one). You think things are intense now wait until episode 8 and then 10 (shit gets fucking real man, this is probably the darkest season by far for FMP (and I say this after what happened in the last 4 eps of TSR)).

Based off of what you and my co-worker say about My Hero Academia I'm really going to have to sit down and watch it now. I've been holding off because I generally hate shounen titles (too much emphasis on action with little thought to story and character development) but you two have really been selling me on it. Maybe I'll start it next week after I finish re-watching Trigun (if I don't get side tracked again, I was going to start it this week but Trigun was calling my name, haven't re-watched it in ages).

Heh, I've always considered doing something similar to this but I don't watch enough new shit for this to be relevant (fuck I only picked up four shows from this round of shows (FMP, S:G0, SAO: GGO (which I would review but if you're not a fan of the original you'll definitely not like this), and Amanchu (which is definitely not up your alley, Slice-of-Life and Cute Girls Doing Cute Things at it's finest)). Look forward to seeing more reviews from you going forward.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

My Hero Academia is a very different shonen. You'd definitely like it I believe. The first season focuses on character development and world building with a fist pumping finale. The main character doesn't have a grasp on his power and injures himself using it (sometimes severely), it can almost be frustrating at times wondering when he'll ever get full control of it, and they make you wait a good while until he can finally grasp some of it. Its a long game that's paying off. Instead of some OP main character, its quite the opposite and he often has to rely on wits to get through situations. Once season two hits they go into overdrive with the story arcs. It can be campy at times, but its an anime about super heroes, so it works. There is very little fan service, the comedy is well done, and as I've stated so many times the animation and soundtrack are just awesome in a day and age of cost saving CGI.

I just finished Ep 8 of FMP yesterday, god damn the start was fucking savage (no pun intended on the mech). I def did not expect want when down in the first 10 min. I guess I won't get to see anymore for 2 weeks since you warned me of 8.5. They need to make another season for sure. I agree about the stopping point, There is just too much going on even where I am at, to finish up in 4 more eps. It feels like we're headed for some type of cliffhanger or open ending.

This season has been pretty damn good being full of entertaining shows. Sadly Summer 2018 looks like a bewb fest. I mean I'm not gonna deny I indulge in a fan service anime from time to time, but I can't take the constant bombardment. This season has been refreshing to see a hiatus of them outside of DxD. I've taken a long break from heavy anime watching for almost year now, only picking up a series here and there because of the options we were given. Season 3 of both Attack on Titan and Overlord are my only locks on the next rotation. I hope they continue making Legend of Galactic Heroes. Now that I've been spoiled by the utterly beautiful animation of Die Neue These, I can't bring myself to go watch the original with its 70s style animation. XD 

As for slice of life and cute girls doing cute things.. XD it all depends really. I enjoy a good slice every once in a while. Haganai, Welcome to the NHK, Chobits, HINAMATSURI, are a few of my beloved series. I never thought I'd enjoy a same-sex romance drama, but Citrus was pretty good. I dunno if Sankarea: Undying Love falls under Slice of Life... hell Chobits probably doesn't either since they have supernatural aspects too them, but I consider them to be since they're devoid of substantial action and focus on character relationships in an everyday setting. I have a broad array of tastes, although its dominated by action/fantasy/sci-fi. I have my guilty pleasures like My Bride is a Mermaid and Baka and Test.

Heh, lets just say unless you're into the whole "Girls going about their daily life in the most mundane means possible" then Amanchu and Amanchu Advance might be a hard sell for you (about two girls joining a diving club and the daily goings on of the club and their lives). Sadly it doesn't have a simuldub so I can't exactly say watch it and give it a shot (it's not licensed yet and if it does get licensed it'll probably be by Right Stuf/Nozomi, look up Aria (one of my all time favorite shows) if you want to get a taste of Amanchu (though Aria currently does not have a dub, I helped back it on Kickstarter to get it produced (because I wanted BD quality, $480 well spent) so a dub will be out by fall of this year for the first season. Same manga artist so the feel of both shows is roughly the same). I wouldn't really consider NHK a slice-of-life, more like demented slice-of-hikikomori life (oh the jokes Epples and I used to come up with for the show). Citrus was good, wish they'd of gone further since the manga takes quite a few more turns from their but it was still good. I really enjoyed Haganai, more then I thought I would. Was a cute little show. My love for Chobits knows no bounds but I also started with the manga so I was a fan going into the show to begin with. Sankrea has been on my backlog since it was airing, I really need to find time to sit down and watch it. Oh and supernatural shit is like the bread and butter of Amanchu so yes it counts as slice-of-life (you'd be surprised how many SoL's have supernatural aspects to them).

Only thing I'll be watching this summer is Overlord as nothing else interested me. I'm more worried about getting my backlog watched (which is roughly 5 years of shows to watch). I'm slowly getting through it but I keep getting side tracked by re-watching older shit I own or shit I've already seen multiple times. I'll definitely start to watch My Hero next week (though it'll have to fight with me re-watching Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome, just picked it up from Right Stuf yesterday and it should be here by Friday/Saturday. I really need to quit buying anime, such an expensive hobby).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Darling in the Franxx ended and it was pretty much a letdown. The wildly inconsistent pacing I could deal with, but when I thought Trigger wasn't going to be able to help themselves and give us a epic Gurren style space ending, what we got instead was WTF. Pretty bizarre stuff. This was a lost opportunity for sure.

Toyko Ghoul:RE ended strong, If they don't skip to some random future part the next season it will be worth keeping up with.

Legend of Galactic Heroes  ended in a big cliffhanger... like Legend of Legendary Heroes. XD I hope there is a season 2!

Katana Maidens ending was satisfactory, Not much more you can expect from a series like this.

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls ending was cliche as it gets. This was a let down for me. It didn't hold up to the first. The character deaths were lame and meaningless at times, which is a shame because some of the characters I really liked.

HINAMATSURI was a joy. It's open to another season so I'm all for it.