DeathscytheX

Ready Player One

This movie was a blast. All the call backs and cameos made this movie what it is for sure, as the story has its generic moments. The premise is solid, the love angle is cheese, but honestly I think it works because it's actually as corny as an 80s-90s movie at times. They did a great job of mixing a metric shit ton of cameos for all generations since the 70's at least. It comes at you so fast that the ones you don't get or miss just meld in with the story. My eyes were frantically searching the screen for any little hints I could find. The KRULL glaive made a super subtle appearance that was so quick, if you didn't know what it was, you wouldn't have gotten it because it wasn't a dramatic whip out and look at it before throwing it... but it was my favorite small cameo. The big one I'll save for the spoiler tag as it was a big moment in the film.

Spoiler

Mechagodzilla vs Gundam was fucking awesome even if it was super short. The whole theater went ape shit when RX-78-2 popped. The whole Mechagodzilla spawn itself was awesome making short initial work of Iron Giant.

The end result is you basically have a futuristic action packed version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with a villain. Sorrento's avatar was great too, it was never shown in the trailers and I never read the book so I don't know if it's the same thing. The profanity was pretty wild for a PG-13 film though. I guess TWD's Negan has made the constant use of the word "shit" an ok standard because they said it a lot along with the one allowance of the F bomb. XD

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!