DeathscytheX

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

http://kotaku.com/the-man-behind-bloodstained-talks-konami-and-kickstarte-1796262208

This is a kickstarter funded game from the lead producer of the Castlevania series. It looks neat, but needs a bit of polishing. The game is still a year out so there is time. I'd like to see a quick swap mapping on the D pad or a quick menu for weapons. The claymore is very situational, I don't see myself ever using it if I have to pause to swap weapons every time. The whip looked like the best weapon from what they had access too, but they barely used it.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I honestly think the game is pretty polished for a Kickstarter game. Graphics are relatively good, combat is pretty much a copy-paste out of almost any side scroller (not a bad thing, don't fix what's not broke), menu system is a little clunky but not something I can bitch about (I'm used to more convoluted systems), and honestly it looks rather fun compared to Castlevania (I never got into Castlevania, couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. Odd for me because I actually like side scrolling games (Strider and Strider 2 being my absolute favorites)). The only real gripe I have with it is how unbalanced the weapons seem. I honestly thought the Rapier looked to be the best weapon, fast attack with moderate damage. Get off more hits before the enemy can hit you (more risk but it honestly seemed to pay off for him in the video). They were trying to show all the weapons in the video, hence why he didn't use it that much. Plus it seemed like he preferred the Rapier over everything else most likely for the same reasons I think it's the best weapon.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

The kung fu shoes look so bad. XD I get he was trying to show off the weapons, but he used the whip so little compared to the others... well the Kung Fu shoes were pretty short lived too. Even in its current state I'd still buy this. I just hope a few QoL things get added in before launch, It's due in March next year.... So I doubt they're done with polish.

Castlevania was a love hate with me. I remember how much I enjoyed Lament of Innocence for the PS2... and then God of War came out and blew it out of the water mechanically, while offering the same violence and puzzles on a higher level. It felt clunky as fuck after that and I never bought another Castlevania game again. God of War owned my heart for hack/slash/platformers.

I'll be getting this for the switch. Just about any side scroller that comes out I'll get it on the switch. I have a lot more use for mobile mode on the switch than I thought I would. If the power goes out (And its hurricane season) I'll get a few hours of entertainment out of it. Or if I'm stuck at Firestone for car maintenance. I have Blaster Master Zero, and I'll be picking up Sonic Mania as well. As long as they keep them coming I'll keep building my library.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!