DeathscytheX

Metroid Prime 4

XD I get why they did it. Fans have been bitching about Nintendo's lack of support for this series since Metroid Prime 3. I never played that one because it was Wiimote controls only. 1 and 2 were some of the best if not the best games released on the Gamecube and for the series as a whole. I remember playing 10 minutes of it at Babbages and instantly buying a Gamecube with MP1 and Mario Sunshine. Metroid seems all but dead. Another M apparently was a terrible game that sold horribly and Nintendo used it as an excuse not to make any more games. But it was like saying because DK bongo didn't sell well, we'll never make another DK Country game ever again. -_-; Thinking about it, thats what they've done actually.

Nintendo is listening for once. BOTW was amazing, Odyssey looks really good and now we get a traditional Metroid Prime and Kirby game. Make me a DK Country and Earthworm Jim and damn I'll be completely satisfied with this generation of Nintendo.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I never beat Metroid Prime 1. It burned me out with back tracking. lol. I was going to get back to it some day but it never happened. I think the biggest problem with Metroid is the sexualization of Samus with her zero suit. They took the first and strongest female video game character of all time and turned her from a bad ass in armor into spank material for young teenage boys.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

It ruined her mystique for sure, but it wouldn't get in the way of making a decent Zero suit game, or a mechanic where she is without her suit for part of the game but can still kick ass. There is def a lot more female gamers now than say 10-20 years ago. But the market is still dominated by males and sex sells. 25-38 is actually the biggest consumer of gaming as of a few years ago when I read up on it. Basically us that started with Atari/NES, we are the biggest consumers. Samus was well ahead of her time. I want to say it wasn't until Lara Croft when another big female star was born, but she was very sexualized, which they managed to tone down with the latest series. But visually shes still very attractive.

I think Overwatch has done an excellent job with Female diversity. They got a lot of flak at first when Windowmaker, Tracer, and Phara were the first female characters to be introduced. There was actually a really interesting article I read recently where during development, Blizzard approached China about Mei to make sure she wasn't culturally offensive. They scoffed at the character and wanted her to have a big butt and small waist like Widowmaker, but Blizz put their foot down and said no, eventually they gave the character the go ahead. Zarya is probably the strongest character meta wise in the tank class.

But back on subject: WTF, Every Metroid game was about back tracking dating back to Super Metroid. XD

Super Metroid was the last really fun Metroid game for me. I could handle the back tracking in it because it was fun, but in Metroid Prime it felt like a way for the dev to artificially inflate the game's completion time. :P Rise of the Tomb Raider had alot of back tracking in it, but it worked because of the active plot, new npcs to talk to and new upgrades that allowed access to new locations. But from what I remembered of metroid all I kept doing was double backing for 15 minutes to go blow up a wall, get an orb or something and then go all the way back to where I was before. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but it felt boring. XD

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

lmao, I think you're remembering Super Metroid wrong, because it was the exact same thing. XD You'd always have to come back and go back to get new abilities and power ups to access the next tier of the level. metroid's design has always been that way to gate you from getting to bosses that were too strong. The final boss was absurd in MP1. I remember having 12 levels of HP/Shields and I beat it with 1 layer left. The only thing that was annoying about MPP compared to SM was back tracking involved fighting annoying mini bosses over again. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 that had those ghost monsters that made the whole room go dark. I hated going back into those rooms because I knew it was going to happen almost every time.

I think you suffer from selective nostalgia, because I do it too. When I bought the Mega Man collection for PS3 a long time ago, after I died on the first boss I picked, I never touched it again. XD I'm too old to have the patience for that shit. But I did play a Super Metroid rom maybe 2-3 years ago and I remember admiring how advanced it was for its time to have just one giant level with no "loading" or what ever cartridges did back in the day when it transitioned from level to level. There was a ton of going back, just so you could roll through a small crevasse or bomb jump to get some random item. XD