DeathscytheX

Death Stranding

Two thoughts came to my mind when watching that....

1. Was that guy going to become the male version of those violated pictures & how many people would be offended by that?
  2. Black Fish 2: Rise Of The Oil

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Apparently Kojima likes naked Reedus XD

Even though I understand nothing of whats going on in that trailer I'm intrigued enough that I might have to buy this. I did love how everyone went nuts when he came out during the Sony Press Conference, can definitely tell people are happy to have him back in the saddle.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Using Reedus at the high of his popularity is genius... even women that never play games will probably buy this. XD I'm looking forward to seeing more. His first trailers are always super cryptic... but this is likely a cut scene found in the game.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I read they still haven't decided what game engine they're going to use. I bet this game wont even be done until at least 2018 and all we'll get from now until then is more odd videos like this to cause internet conspiracies to generate hype. PT generated hype. I thought I deleted it but I still have it on my PS4. That was the creepiest damn thing I ever played and it was only walking through the same 5 rooms over and over in a big circle. PT had no plot, no instructions and caused mass confusion until someone beat it and got a title screen for Silent Hills, then it kind of made a bit of sense. This follows along the line of that PT experience. We get all these segments of clues that leads us to the title of the game. But with Silent Hills you have backstory.

Heres my theory:

The Death Stranding trailer is basically an idea generator. Hideo Kojima has a variety of things he has an interest in making a video game about but cannot decide on what he wants to make yet. So he literally puts every idea he wants to work with into a single trailer as subtle hints or easter eggs and lets the internet do the entire creative process for him. He can then pick and choose some of the more creative ideas, weave them into other theories and then combine it all with his predetermined characters into a plot he wants. Then he'll make a great game out of it. And people on the internet can claim: "I knew it! I guessed it right! Called it! etc." All the while Kojima doesn't have to give anyone credit because 'thats what he decided to do to begin with. Obviously. It was in the trailer.'

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Yeah, I'm not looking for this game for another 2-3 years. I'm fine with that. Its realistic, because the ink is still fresh on the deal with Sony. I'll be curious if this is going to be his new flagship series, or will he do many different projects? He's a great universe builder. the world of MGS is so vast, I remember the huge database that came out with MGS4, you could read it for hours. Norman Reedus is really doing it all for his career. Movies, TV, and now Video Games... he's build himself a nice resume in case one industry becomes stingy will roll availability.

This is going to be a mindfuck of a game. I'm looking forward to it. As much as I liked MGS5, I really hope he goes a little old school with long ass cut scenes. I know a lot of people bitched about them in MGS4, but I enjoyed the intense 30 min of gaming and a relaxing 15-20 min cutscene.... Hell I remember sitting through the long ass codec convos on MGS1. XD Kojima games were always like playing a movie with a controller. Its was such a cinematic experience, and you could press buttons during the cut scenes to find easter eggs too. I'd really like to see a little of that aspect back. 

Makes sense, why spend 2-3 years developing a new engine from scratch when there's one that can do what you want for free (well not exactly but I'm sure he'll get full use of it without spending a penny). That's the reason a lot of developers use the Unreal Engine, the licensing costs come out to be less then what you'd spend on software engineers to develop one from scratch (and you're talking senior level software engineers at roughly $80,000-$90,000 a year salaries (he'd be looking at 5-6 of those at least to develop a new engine)). Plus considering he had to leave his baby behind at Konami this is just easier (plus I'm sure there is some pressure on Sony's end to get this game out and see if it's worth the investment they put into Kojima (yes he has a great track record but still, a new IP is a dangerous thing especially right now in an industry where original IP's are failing in the AAA category and Kojima doesn't do Indie)). Honestly from what we've seen of Horizon I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima gets exactly what he wants and more out of the engine (I mean that footage is amazing).

Onto the actual footage, I honestly don't know if I'll pick this up or not. I'm into games that fuck with your mind but this one just doesn't look like it's something I'd enjoy. As Phil put it in the new Spacebar episode, Kojima has done weird and we've come to expect it out of him. Every game he's ever worked on has been weird (look at the MGS series, you can't tell me a lot of the stuff going on in that game isn't weird), its about time he does something more than weird to sell a game (I honestly don't think the guy can do normal, which isn't a bad thing but it'd be a nice change). I'll keep an eye on it but I doubt I'll buy it (considering my current backlog and the rate at which I've been playing games other then FFXIV and BF1 it'll be a few years before I find the free time to play anything else (I've still got to beat DA: Inquistion, Skyrim, Mafia III, and start MGSV and FFX/X-2 Remake not to mention finish Watch Dogs, AC4, and Shadows of Mordor. God I really need to let go of my MMO addiction and get shit done)).

Speaking of weird games.. The Silent Hills games looked like alot of fun back in the day, but I never played any of them. The new Resident Evil doesn't look like something I'd play alot of either. I haven't played a MGS game since 2 (crappy ending) even tho I kept telling myself I would. Maybe after my dogs stop barking at random times I could enjoy a game that requires 100% attention while a 20 minute codec conversation is going on. But until then I don't feel like I've missed much on skipping anything Kojima has made. Death Stranding so far isn't even in a concept phase yet. Its just some cgi clips with a bunch of fan theories. It could be an RTS game at this point with a bunch of cgi cut scenes like we've already seen, but over half his fans will pre-order the game without even knowing that. XD

9 minutes ago, Strider Hiryu said:

God I really need to let go of my MMO addiction and get shit done

lmao. Isn't that the truth. *turns on guild wars 2 again* XD

Edited by Sledgstone
added a part

What's sad is after that abomination Konami makes bombs, they'll just sit on the FOX engine and do nothing with it. Outside of some smaller projects for handhelds and some input on a Castlevania game. Kojima has done MGS and ZoE... but mostly MGS. He kept saying it would be his last one since MGS3, so its probably a blessing in the end he was able to get away from it. The Hype Machine will roll for this game and it will probably come out late 2018/early 2019.

Personally I'll know I most likely enjoy the hell out of it, but there will be legions of people expecting an MGS clone and get disappointed that it will be something completely different. I don't have a backlog of games because I guess I can't bring myself to buy a game I know I can't play or beat at the time. I haven't bought watchdogs 2 yet, and I probably will wait for it to become dirt cheap. I'm juggling OW/BF1/GW2 as it is right now. XD

ZoE kills me, its by far one of my favorite games but sadly Kojima can't do another one because Konami has the rights to it and it didn't sell well to begin with. It's one of the few mech games out there that actually played well (extremely well considering some of the other mech titles out at the time) and had a great story (well the first one was ok but it really pulled at your emotions, the second one had the better story but sadly not the emotional impact of the first). I really wish he could create another one but Konami won't give the rights up and he already said if the HD collection didn't sell well he wouldn't put the time into another one. Sigh, I'll just have to play the HD remake when I get nostalgic (at least there are rumors of a new Armored Core game coming out and I hope they're true, From Software owes me a great AC title after the disappointment of 5).

Sadly I wouldn't have this backlog of games if I could step away from FFXIV long enough to play one (once my Ninja is in full i270 gear and I've completed my Anima weapon I'll have roughly 4-5 months before Stormblood releases to get caught up on games (then again I am a master procrastinator and I'll probably not touch them)). I miss the days before I got a computer and got into MMO's, when all my free time could be thrown into playing a game and completely beating it. Sadly I haven't been able to do that since ME3 and Assassin's Creed 3 (the last time I spent any real time in a game because FFXIV: ARR wasn't out yet and I couldn't play SWTOR due to internet problems). Then again back in those days I had a normal job where I worked 8 hours a day instead of 10 and I was only working 40 hours a week and not 40+ hours a week (plus I was working nights which meant I had no social life what so ever and could spend my days off mindlessly grinding in games). Sigh, this adulting shit sucks. I would say you'd be smart to wait on getting WD2, I hear nothing but bad things about the game and while they fixed a lot of what made the first one boring they introduced more stuff that made the game worse off.

I'm quite sure a lot of MGS fans will be disappointed in this game but that's to be expected. It's something different from what Kojima is known for and that will probably haunt him more than help him years from now. He'll always be the father of MGS, the man who brought us an extremely expansive story that has entertained and frustrated gamers for almost 20 years (Metal Gear was released in 1987). Anything he does from now on will always be compared to the MGS series. Then again this game might just be his next MGS and launch him even further into industry fame. Only time will tell.

Ah yes the 10 hour grind. I worked 1-11 5 days a week, played GW2 from 11:30-4am just about every night. After 2100+ hours my interest has dwindled a lot as i've accomplished the vast majority of what I've wanted too in the game. I'll always come back for Living World episodes and Expansions, but I'll have time to play other things. The downgrade to 8 hour shifts has opened up a lot of time for FPSing again now that decent titles are out to play. Mass Effect Andromeda is going to take attention away from all other gaming for me when it hits.

11 hours ago, DeathscytheX said:

What's sad is after that abomination Konami makes bombs, they'll just sit on the FOX engine and do nothing with it.

And then Nintendo swoops in, buys the engine outright and makes an epic Zelda game with some of the best graphics ever, with stealth mission side quests. Nintendo would become the biggest game company all over again. XD

It looks so stupid to me. XD This is something I'd expect to see at a film festival. One large celebrity figure in an odd unexplained situation with no revealing plot lines and multiple shots of random things and events that people will make hour + long video breakdowns of on youtube like how Wooden Potatoes can turn a 2 minute trailer into an hour long hypotheses on what it all means. XD I still can't wait to see this actually be an RTS game to go with all these cut scenes. XD

I can't wait for this weird ass game. XD As I said last year, I think the coolest part of all this is Lindsay Wagner. I use to watch Bionic Woman on the Sci-Fi channel when I was a kid. Its neat to see these older performers be able to recapture their youth in gaming. They nailed her look.