Myk JL

Dark Souls

I finally (& easily) beat The Asylum Demon. After finally looking up the easiest way that would also give me its Demon's Great Hammer.

All it takes is 5 Black Firebombs.

Seriously that's it.

It kind of takes the point out of getting any of the other gifts instead. Part of me still wants the Binoculars. But I'm certain I can find them.

Now I'm leveling up my character's strength. I really want to one hand the Demon's Great Hammer. And someday I'll have Ornstein's Armor.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I haven't had a Sad Affleck Moment yet.

However before defeating The Asylum Demon I had a lot of Hero Boy Moments.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I feel like making a journal of my experience so far.

Funny Deaths

• On the bridge in The Firelink Shrine where I pillaged a Ring Of Sacrifice I was afraid I didn't have enough room to jump back over. So I pressed B before I started moving as a safety precaution. My Female Thief then jumped back & fell to her death.
  • I wasn't in the mood to kill the 3 Firebomb hollow Warriors in Undead Burg on my way back toward a Bonfire. So I ran across the bridge. For a moment I let go of B, panicked & quick pressed B again. My Female Thief then once again jumped to her death. Though this time around it reminded myself of the last Graboid in Tremors.
  • In the Valley Of Drakes I felt the need to goofed around an Undead Dragon. I knew pillaging its stuff would awaken it so I originally didn't. I tried to get into its mouth, but an invisible wall prevented me from doing so. Then I went behind it's head toward the armpit thinking I would make a gesture like I was about to hug it. Apparently it didn't like that idea & woke up. Before it killed me I decided I had enough time to at least pillage a Soul Of A Proud Knight. I went back & intentionally lost over 14,000 Souls just so I could pillage Astora's Straight Sword & Dragon Crest Shield.

Personal Goals Achieved

• I defeated The Black Knight in Undead Burg. Though that 3rd time wasn't my original intent. That time I just wanted to pillage the Blue Tearstone Ring it was guarding. the first 2 times I tried I had 31 in Strength. The 3rd time I had 43 Strength. I kept running away until I ultimately decided to defeat it at the Bridge where I first saw The Hellkite Dragon. I got a Black Knight Shield from this defeat but I can't do a Shield Stab like that black knight could.
  • I farmed enough Souls to get my strength up to 46 so I can now one hand the Demon's Great Hammer. It currently does 234 damage but it's too big to wield everywhere.

Current Goals

• Get my Faith up to 14 so I can properly wield Astora's Straight Sword.
  • Defeat Haval The Rock who can currently kill me with one blow.
  • Defeat Undead Dragon in the Valley Of The Drakes.
  • Upgrade my weapons & armor.

Current Weapon(s) I'm using

• One of the various Battle Axes I got from farming Souls.

My dislikes with Dark Souls so far.

• Not being able to sell all of these so called "rare" drops. I have enough of the same weapons & armor for a small army.
  • Having to restore my Human form so I can kindle bonfires. I killed myself after being told I was being invaded. It was probably an NPC. But I'm not in the mood to have other Online Players bother me.

Personal Goals Achieved

• Though this should've been an edit I did get my Faith up to 14 on the day I posted it here.
  • I got my Thief's Armor up to +3, but I'm uncertain if I'll upgrade it more due to needing a large Titanite Shards.
  • I defeated Haval The Rock after I was getting tired of leveling my dexterity at 20. My Strength is 57. I did this by running back upstairs to the door in Undead Burg. Haval will try to stay in the tower. So I was usually able to attack him without worrying of counter attacks.
  • Thanks to some Twinkling Titanite I got from murdering a Crystal Lizard nearby the fog door in Haval's tower I was able to upgrade Astora's Straight Sword to +2. And after defeating Haval once I got into Darkroot Basin I found another Crystal Lizard to murder. That Twinkling Titanite would get my Astora's Straight Sword to +3.
  • I defeated The Black Knight in Darkroot Basin. I was able to do this by heading up toward Darkroot Garden. One area of the path gets too narrow & causes this black knight to run away. that then leaves enough time to use an Estus Flask.
  • I'm now able to enter the Valley Of Drakes from Darkroot Basin instead of just New Londo.

Personal Goals Set Aside

• I've decided to set Defeating the Undead Dragon in the Valley Of Drakes aside. There are plenty of Bosses & Minibosses in Darkroot Basin that I also intend to save for later.
  • Until I get a weapon that requires Intelligence I'll probably move on to leveling up Endurance, Vitality, & Resistance. When I do level it up I might stop at 27, 31, or 49. Basically one level before Moonlight Greatsword, Tin Crystallization Catalyst, or White Dragon Breath.

Current Goals

• With my Strength at 57 I won't be leveling that up again until I get Smough's Hammer in NG+1. So I'm still getting my Dexterity up to 24 (one level before Dark Silver Tracer & Gold Tracer). I'm uncertain if I should stop leveling up my Faith by one level at 29 (Grant), or 49 (Sunlight Spear).

Currently debating with myself

• I'm don't want to defeat the Taurus Demon any time soon. So I'm trying to pick between going through Darkroot Garden or Blighttown.
  • Whether or not I will ever use magic.

5 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

What kind of magic is there in the game? The only thing I've seen in clips are spells that give temporary stat boosts. Is it possible to get spells that can incinerate an entire room of enemies? 

I get most of what I know from http://darksouls.wikidot.com/.

If you start out as a Sorcerer you will find the Sorcerer's Catalyst after using the Undead Asylum F2 East Key. If you forget it you can always buy it in New Londo.

If you start out as a Pyromancer you will find Pyromancy Flame after using the Undead Asylum F2 East Key. If you forget it, it'll be awhile before you can get it as a Gift.

If you start out as a Cleric you will find a Canvas Talisman after using the Undead Asylum F2 East Key. If you forget it you'll have to settle for a Talisman you can find at Firelink Shrine.

-

From what I can tell out of the 3 Pyromancer doesn't need Faith or Intelligence. I had a quick glance at the Pyromancies & didn't see any that could incinerate an entire room. All 3 also benefit from having Attunement up to 50 as magic isn't infinite. You will have to rest at a Bonfire to restore all magic used. Sorceries require Intelligence & Catalysts. Miracles require Faith & Talismans.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, Sledgstone said:

I always wanted a game where I could pull a Lina Inverse and use a "Dragon Slave" spell to incinerate half a village with a small a-bomb explosion. XD lol. If I could do this in Dark Souls I'd go and buy it asap. XD

If you could do that in any game weapons would probably be obsolete. Plus I wonder how would that impact Dark Souls Story & Gameplay.

Story wise if humans could create such fire then why would anyone worry about the end of The Age Of Fire?

Gameplay wise you probably defeat everything & indirectly cause a lot of Sins. PvP invasions would more annoying as you'd have to be the first one to kill someone with that power. And raises questions like if you destroy a certain painting how does that impact the Painted World Of Ariamis?

After doing all that research on magic my current weapon stats goal will be

• Strength: 57 (Complete)
  • Dexterity: 24 (Complete)
  • Intelligence: 27 (After Faith)
  • Faith: 29 (Next Goal)

If I ever work on magic it'll probably be when Attunement is the only stat I have left to level up.

Personal Goals Achieved

• I got a new Armor Set that isn't a starter set or from someone who isn't a (mini) boss. The Elite Knight Set in Darkroot Garden. I already got it up to +3 with Titanite Shards.
  • I easily defeated every Mini Boss in Undead Parish. I only remember dying once to the Prowling Demon there. I got a Tower Shield & a Black Knight Greatsword. I didn't get A Fang Boar Helm like I wanted. But such a Helm would've been temporary for me until I got Ornstein's Armor Set.
  • I met Andrei & Oswald.
  • Shortcut wise I now have an Elevator that goes between Undead Parish & Firelink Shrine. I also got that ladder down that leads to the first bonfire you can find in Undead Burg.
  • I learned the hard way that I now have a bridge to farm 555 Souls from. Because I lost over 10,000 Souls trying to run in the opposite direction that the Hellkite Dragon is perched.
  • I freed some guy who was going to escape anyway....
Edited by Myk JL

Don't you have to fight other players in the game when they die? They invade your game and try to kill you or something? Are those players as difficult as some of these major enemies? And what if you die.. does your stats and upgrades help you in your dead state to kill people to get resurrected?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

In the first Dark Souls you can be invaded by other players once you Reverse Hollowing. And you become a Hollow again once you die. You need to Reverse Hollowing & offer humanity in order to kindle Bonfires. Currently I can only kindle Bonfires once. (Minus the Firelink Shrine Bonfire which was already kindled once as far as I know.) Only Kindled Bonfires will restore Estus Flask used.

I haven't actually fought anyone yet. As far as I know by killing my after being informed that I'm being invaded I probably just lose all my humanity to the invader. I did also escape a fight by quitting through the console menu. I got a different message about how I quit when I started Dark Souls again but I didn't read it.

Being forced into PvP when I'm enjoying PvE has gotten me aggravated. I should probably unplug my Xbox 360 from the internet when playing Dark Souls. But I rather not as I enjoy reading messages left by other players.

-

Personal Goals Achieved

• I found the Eastern Armor Set in Darkroot Garden. While part of me wishes I could wear this with a Fang Boar Helm with it.... Well.... I saw a bonfire ghost with it on and.... it looked cartoonishly huge.
  • As far as I can tell I have all the loot from Firelink Shrine including The Binoculars.
  • After returning to the area I got Elite Knight Set I got a Stone Shield. (Which makes a clank sound when hit.)
  • While I was still their I murdered some breathing trees that were blocking a hidden path that lead me to the Wolf Ring.
  • I got my Faith up to 29.

Current Armor & Weapons

• The Eastern Armor despite it being weaker than Elite Knight +3 Set.
  • Astora's Straight Sword. (I've been wielding it ever since I got my Faith up to 14.)
  • A Black Knight Greatsword, but I never really use it.
  • A Stone Shield because it's the best I have for blocking.
  • A Black Knight Shield because I use to use it. And because maybe I'll use it again with that Black Knight Greatsword.

Basically everything I'm using requires Twinkling Titanite.... Because I'm afraid I might accidentally use my Large Titanite too soon.

Current Goals

Part of me wants to take a break from Dark Souls. I could set some goals. But none of the goals I can set really interest me. I put 99:56:01 of time into my Female Thief named Jenny. So while restarting to make a female thief named "A Piñata" would make me more comfortable with PvP.... I just rather not start from scratch as I like a lot of the rewards I've gotten. Plus I rather not go back to collecting Hollow Armor & Weapons again.

Since you have 99 hours in, then I'm guessing you've already beaten the game? And all the stuff you're doing is the end game content of beating high end pve bosses and getting the best gear in the game? Do any of these end game bosses expand on the plot of the game? Or are they there purely for the challenge?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:57 AM, Sledgstone said:

Since you have 99 hours in, then I'm guessing you've already beaten the game? And all the stuff you're doing is the end game content of beating high end pve bosses and getting the best gear in the game? Do any of these end game bosses expand on the plot of the game? Or are they there purely for the challenge?

The majority of time I've put into the game has been Soul Farming so I could raise my Stats. As Stats get higher my (overall) level gets higher which then makes any stat I want to raise cost more souls.

After getting Cursed by a Basilisk in The Great Hollow (hoping to farm for Twinkling Titanite from Man Eater Shells at Ash Lake) I finally had my Sad Affleck Moment. I thought Curse & Transient Curse were the same; They aren't. I kept getting myself killed by Ghosts while trying to find Ingward in New Londo.

I have ultimately erased my Thief, Jenny out of pure boredom. I don't find Dark Souls "hard" but I just don't have the patience to level up anymore. Also I can't name my next Dark Souls character "A Piñata" because spaces & accents aren't available.

I'm back to playing Dark Souls as of today.

I thought about naming my new female thief, Rodham after Hillary Rodham Clinton. But that seemed like an insult to thieves. Perhaps Rodham will be the name of my Dark Souls 2 female.

My new female thief is now named Mjoll. She is named after Mjoll The Lioness from Skyrim. It also serves as a reminder that my ultimate goal is to get Ornstein's Armor. Though if Mjoll were real she'd be insulted as she hates The Thieves Guild.

The major difference between Jenny & Mjoll will be the fact Jenny was a Glass Cannon.

Personal Goals Achieved (Again)

1. I defeated The Asylum Demon again & got it's Demon's Great Hammer. Though this time around I won't be leveling up my strength to wield it for a long time.
  2. After raising my Faith to 14 I went back to the Valley Of Drakes to pillage the corpses around that Undead Dragon. (I decided to permanently lose 6 Souls.) I'm glad to have Astora's Straight Sword again. I don't remember using it last time but I'm also glad to have the Dragon Crest Shield again. Then I used the (consumable) Souls on me so I could get my strength up to 10.
  3. I easily bought all of the key items of the Male Undead Merchant in Undeadburg again. The Bottomless Box is a necessity when you don't have a way to sell items.
  4. I once again murdered a Crystal Lizard in Undeadburg for Twinkling Titanite. Upgraded Astora's Straight Sword to +2. Now I just one hit kill all Hollows unless I need to shield break them first.
  5. I bought a Spear.... Because I might need it later & didn't want to wait for it to be a "Rare Drop". Had to raise my strength to 11.

Current Personal Goals

1. Raise Vitality to the 30 or 50 soft cap.
  2. Raise Endurance to the 40 soft cap.
  3. Upgrade spear then armor if I get enough Titanite Shards.
  4. Go through Blighttown. Most likely defeat Maneater Mildred. And upgrade spear then armor if I get enough Large Titanite Shards.
  5. Remember to equip the Crimson set I will find once I'm at the first bonfire in The Great Hollow. If it doesn't prevent curse I'll hopefully have enough health to fight ghosts in New Londo. Where I will hopefully find the Cursebite Ring & remove curse.
  6. Hope that raising my Strength to 11 to equip a Spear to fight Basilisks was worth it.
  7. Farm for Twinkling Titanite at Ash Lake. (Maybe I'll need to defeat that Hydra there so that might be my first mini boss fight in this play through.) And maybe Tail Cut the Stone Dragon for a sword I won't be using anytime soon.
  8. After all of that I guess I debate whether I defeat the Undead Dragon in the Valley Of Drakes, Haval The Rock in Undeadburg, or both. (Both seems like a great idea for making victory laps around the areas!) Also remember to defeat Halberd Black Knight in Darkroot Basin as it's near a Bonfire I'll be using.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:11 AM, Sledgstone said:

How is the female armor in dark souls? Is it all boob plate or cleavage or can you deck out your character in some heavy plate gear to look like a huge mass of metal?

Armor is gender neutral. And there is no sexy armor as far as I know. I doubt you would want to see a Hollow in such armor if it existed in the game.

Mini Bosses Defeated (Again)

1. Havel The Rock - Yeah.... I'm too scared to go to Blight Town, The Great Hollow, or even face The Hydra at Ash Lake. I got my Vitality up to 30 & my Endurance up to 19 once the next level up would cost over 10,000 Souls. As boring as this fight looked it was a lot easier thanks to having enough Stamina to block Havel's strikes if I got hit. I got his ring.
  2. Prowling Demon at Undead Parish - Strafe Right, Attack from behind, repeat.
  3. Heavy Knight at Undead Parish - I got a Greatsword from that fight that I will probably never use.
  4. Channeler at Undead Parish - I got nothing from him. Then went upstairs to free that guy that was going to escape anyway.
  5. Oscar Knight Of Astora - Elite Knight against Elite Knight! Astora's Straight Sword against Astora's Straight Sword! Dragon Crest Shield against Crest Shield? An almost identical face off. I got his Crest Shield after defeating him.

I didn't lose once to any of these mini bosses as Mjoll.

Some items found or upgraded (Again)

1. I did fully level up that Spear I bought with Titanite Shards that were rare drops. After that I eventually got some Spears that were rare drops.
  2. 2 Twinkling Titanite & some form of regular Titanite from Murdering a Crystal Lizard between Darkroot Basin & Darkroot Garden.
  3. Obviously found The Elite Knight Armor Set in Darkroot Garden which is what I was wearing when I fought Oscar.
  4. I got The Wolf Ring!.... After having to retrieve my Souls & Humanity from being killed by a Giant Stone Knight.
  5. I got The Rusted Iron Ring in Undead Asylum. I can't believe I would've gone into Blight Town without this.

I had 10 in Humanity, but I dwindled it down to 3 because I didn't want to unplug my Xbox 360 from the internet or face players.

Current Personal Goals

1. Don't defeat the Armored Tusk in Undead Parish until I have The Covetous Gold Serpent Ring & 10 Humanity. Even if that means never going over there.
  2. Upgrading Armor with Titanite. Especially now that I can buy Titanite from Andre Of Astora.
  3. Maybe get back to leveling up my Endurance once I'm done leveling up Armor Sets (& maybe weapons I won't use).

I think I might've gotten more done with Mjoll in 37:22:55 than Jenny in 99:56:01.... Or not as there are certain places I have avoided as Mjoll. Like an entire area of Blight Town that leads up to a locked door to the Depths. At least 2 Bonfires when counting the other one in Blight Town & the one guarded by a Black Knight in Darkroot Basin. In fact I haven't killed any Black Knights as Mjoll.

Oh well on to personal goals achieved.

1. Defeated Maneater Midred (again).
  2. Raised both Elite Knight Set & Thief Set with Titanite & Large Titanite (found killing Leeches in Blight Town). I don't know what I'll do with my Titanite Chunks. I also raise the Hunter Set I found in Dark Root Basin with Titanite.
  3. I have finally explored Lower Undead Burg. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
  4. Freed some guy who was locked in a room. He now appears at Firelink Shrine & still in the room in Undead Burg.
  5. Found the Undead Female Merchant who sells Humanity.
  6. Unlocked both shortcuts to Lower Undead Burg.
  7. Gotten my Endurance up to 30.
  8. Had a hard time defeating a Knight from The Clan Of Forrest Protectors.
  9. Got the Eastern Armor Set & decided to not go back through the Crest Of Artorias door for a long time.
  10. Went to The Catacombs & found out that Astora's Straight Sword can prevent Necromancers from resurrecting Skeletons.
  11. Killed the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 5th Necromancers. I have left the 6th Necromancer live for now.
  12. Murdered a Crystal Lizard that gave me the final 2 pieces on Twinkling Titanite I needed to fully upgrade Astora's Straight Sword.
  13. Left The Catacombs after finding a spell I won't use, Tranquil Walk Of Peace.

Awkward Deaths (Technically died more than this but those were more Obvious than Awkward.)

1. This one doesn't belong to me but that 4th Necromancer unintentionally committed suicide.
  2. I did get myself killed by the Armored Tusk & some Hollows when I well down near it. Second time around I killed all the Hollows & was able to escape fighting the Armored Tusk.
  3. I fell off the Elevator twice when leaving Blight Town. First Time looking in the wrong direction panicking, falling when I assumed I didn't notice when to get off. Second when I tried to get off too soon.
  4. I got myself killed by the Capra Demon when a gut feeling insisted there wasn't a boss behind that fog gate in Lower Undead Burg. I went back in to get my Souls & Humanity. Then through Xbox Guide I exited the game by selecting Xbox Home. I went back into Dark Souls now back on the other side of the fog gate.
  5. I told Patches I wasn't a Cleric. He was a little late on trying to kill me when crossing a bridge. So on my way back I had Mjoll kill herself. The next question Patches asked me I answered Yes & he gave me a Humanity. I didn't have to kill Mjoll that time around if I just didn't assume that Treasure message was Fromsoftware trolling.

Despite these deaths I always manage to retrieve my Souls & Humanity.

Current Personal Goals are all boring....

1. Raise my Endurance up to 40 Soft Cap.
  2. Raise my Vitality up to 50 Soft Cap.

These were also the first times I unplugged my modem instead of killing Mjoll. First in Blight Town & second in The Catacombs.

So when you died by falling off an elevator is your loot left at the point of impact or where you fell off? Like is there a way to die that screws you so bad that you can't get your stuff back? Maybe falling off a cliff that you can't access the bottom of? And what if you turn the game off after death but before reclaiming your stuff, does it disappear the next time you turn the game on or is it still there to get?

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, Sledgstone said:

So when you died by falling off an elevator is your loot left at the point of impact or where you fell off? Like is there a way to die that screws you so bad that you can't get your stuff back? Maybe falling off a cliff that you can't access the bottom of? And what if you turn the game off after death but before reclaiming your stuff, does it disappear the next time you turn the game on or is it still there to get?

My experience with retrieving my Souls & Humanity has had it always appearing on a flat non-moving surface. In the case of the elevator in Blight Town they appear right before getting onto the elevator.

In the case of bottomless falls I have & seen others fall to their deaths. This is because the way you retrieve your Souls & Humanity also doubles as a way for other players to see how you died.

I think the only way you could permanently lose your Souls & Humanity is if you died again before you could retrieve them. The way the games saves it always remembers what you were doing before you quit. So if you quit the game surrounded by dead bodies you will reload that game surrounded by dead bodies.

Personal Goals Achieved

1. My Endurance is at 40 Soft Cap
  2. My Vitality is at 50 Soft Cap
  3. Going back to The Catacombs to collect the Great Scythe
  4. Remembering to wear the Crimson armor set in The Great Hollow
  5. Finally visited Ash Lake

Killing Basilisks & Mushroom Parents was pretty slow. So slow that I rather not try to fight The Hydra at Ash Lake yet.

More boring Personal Goals

1. Getting my Strength back up to 46 so I can one hand the Demon's Great Hammer again
  2. See if I need to raise Dexterity with any of the weapon I have collected
  3. Recollect a lot of items in the area of Blight Town I was avoiding