I started using Windows 8 tonight.. I watched the "Getting Started with Windows 8" videos and I now know how to actually navigate, switch and close apps, get to the control panel, etc.. and honestly, this OS would be fine on a phone or a tablet. But on a full PC, this OS sucks balls compared to Windows 7. To see what apps are all open and to be able to right click and close those apps, you have to move the mouse to the top left corner of the screen and then move the mouse down the side in a kind of crappy emulated swiping gesture. This also applies to the right side "charms" menu. The "metro" tiles that everyone knows as Windows 8, is a menu of apps that can be modified to have different tiles, but it cannot be removed or even have the computer boot to the desktop. On a tablet this would be fine, but I'm currently not interested in accessing Window's app store, installing apps and other programs that want to harvest my data.. I simply want a powerful PC for work and gaming. Without a touchscreen for a PC, this operating system is horrible. The shittiest part is that all the settings, control panel, etc. that is the core of Windows 7 is there, but Windows 8 wants you to ignore the hardware and potential of the system and instead sign into your Microsoft account and keep up to date with your friends and tiles.

I'm currently doing all my windows updates and then I'll be upgrading it to Windows 8.1 which will allow me to boot to desktop and it'll have a start button with quick access to the control panel and all the other administrative options I actually used the start menu for. However, it still doesn't have an "all programs" list in the start menu, which means I'll have to use the search function to find my programs if I don't have shortcuts on the desktop for them.. and I will still have to turn on the "Metro" tiles, right click on a blank area and then click "all apps" to see the apps which are separate from normal programs.

Once I get these updates done, I'll try to change some settings around to see if I can get this computer running more to my liking.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I would've forgiven or forgotten about Window 8 & 8.1 by now if it didn't scare Gabe Newell. Because now I'm at a point where I'm getting very impatient waiting for the Steam OS & Steam Machine. Because if this threat is as real as Gabe Newell declares it to be then I'm going to have to wait to learn how to make PC games instead of doing that right now. And no I don't expect my PC Games to be profitable. Especially when Net Neutrality might get destroyed & cause more debt than they're worth.

And I'm still not looking forward to Windows 9 as MS is also planning something called Windows 365. Which has been implied that their next OS or OSs might be have subscription plans for a type of software I'm not use to having a subscription plan. And thus blocking all the content not owned by MS just because it would be running on their OSs.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Glorious Console Master Race. XD

I'd agree with this if Consoles didn't have a fear of games made for people 18 & older. Ouya would've but they decided it was best to bend over backwards for brick & mortar than stick to their promise of allowing any game.

It's not like The Console Industry is more Mature without it. Kratos's off screen sex mini games are by far one of the most immature things I've seen on a console. The down fall being that I've seen better pay offs from half ♥♥♥ flash games on the PC.

Then there's still the reality that what Gabe Newell fears about Windows 8 is what the console already is.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

If Ouya was made by HBO, I'd have believed their claims of allowing all adult content. lol. :P

I used Windows 8 for about 1 hour yesterday and I hated it. Here are my biggest complaints about it:

1) Tiles, there is no way to avoid that damn screen even if you don't use it.

2) All programs, settings, etc. all run in full screen. Windows was originally called Windows because you could run applications in "Windows" and not full screen. Not with Windows 8. Open the control panel and its all full screen. Same with everything else, except for IE when it was launched from the desktop.. because the desktop version of IE is actual IE, while the version you launch in the tiles screen is actually an IE app that runs full screen. And while everything is full screen, there is no minimize button.. no x to close the window. The only thing you can do to exit a damn full screen app is to hit the windows button on the keyboard to go back to the tiles/metro screen or keep swiping that left menu to switch between applications. The desktop is pointless because nothing can be minimized to it except for the non windows store programs you install yourself.

3) No windows button. No quick access to the things I use on a PC. Instead I have to swipe a menu on the right side of the screen, click on settings.. but no.. these settings are for the tile/metro menu and windows store app settings.. Which would be fine on a tablet because on a tablet you don't have after market parts installed, or you don't have to change a resolution setting for some classic compatibility mode game, etc. But if I want to access my PC settings, I have to swipe that menu, hit settings, hit PC Settings, then I can change basic settings, and it still doesn't give me a link to the control panel. To get to the control panel, I have to go to the tiles menu, click all apps, then click on control panel.

4) I finally found where to make Windows check and install windows updates on command.. I looked for the Windows 8.1 update and it wasn't there. I had to get all current Windows 8 updates first. I did all that, and the 8.1 update was still not there. Oh.. how stupid of me.. that update is in the windows store which is accessed through the tile / metro menu. WTF. Why MS? Why did you put a significant update like Windows 8.1 in the store instead of actually having it in the actual Windows Update menu? I also could not download the update because it said I wasn't an administrator. wtf.. so I found out I could not get the update until I removed an old windows update file that was pre-loaded by dell, reinstall that update through the windows update program, and then I finally got 8.1... and it was a download around 3.6 GB and it easily took an hour to update after the download was complete..

There are many more things, but I'll leave it at that for now. Long story short, Windows 8 is obviously the key reason to the declining PC sales over the past couple years. This is not an operating system for a PC.

Now.. as for Windows 8.1.. this is a definite improvement over Windows 8, but it is still inferior to Windows 7. In 8.1, it boots to the desktop. Yay. All full screen apps now have a minimize and close button. Yay. The windows actually minimize to the desktop task bar so I don't have to swipe a left menu to switch between apps anymore. And the best thing is the start button. Its nothing like the start menu of previous windows, but at least I can right click it for quick easy access to the control panel, shutting off the computer, etc., without having to swipe menus anymore. Windows 8.1 will be useable for me now.

Anyone that was running Windows 8, I feel sorry for you. That OS was complete garbage for PC use and I can understand why Steam decided to make their own OS for gaming. Its like MS decided to make a Wii U (windows 8) after having released a PS4 (windows 7). Instead of something made for power users, they made something for a completely different target audience. Windows 8.1 is a large improvement, but it should have been the original Windows 8. Its hard for me to believe that people were swiping with their mouse for over a year until this update came out. WTF was MS thinking with that decision. Its reminding me of their flip flopping on the Xbox One. Whoever was in charge of the final decisions of Windows 8 and Xbox One should be fired. Microsoft completely shot themselves in the foot over the past year. I hope other competitors make their own OS, but from what I've seen of Google, I don't like those chrome books at all.

If MS makes an online only operating system with a subscription fee, I'll pass. I know the current trend is to have tablets and smartphones, but I hope that doesn't become the new standard. Power PC users and PC gaming needs a shot in the arm and I hope Steam OS does that for gaming at least.

The more I'm using Windows 8.1, the more it feels like an upgraded version of Windows 7. The best improvement I'm noticing now is that the task bar is always present in full screen apps. As long as I put the mouse at the bottom of the screen I can then click on the open window to minimize it. If Windows 8 was initially what 8.1 is now, it would not have been a disaster. Now MS has to rebuild its Windows OS's identity from garbage to good. MS screwed themselves. They seem to have the mentality that they are Apple and whatever they make, everyone will enjoy and adapt to. But nobody wanted to emulate swyping with their mouse on a PC, just like nobody was wanting an always online Xbox One. MS needs to fix its public relations and start making their products according to what their user base actually wants as opposed to forcing their failed concepts onto people because of their market share. The end result is low end Xbox One sales, and horrible PC sales.

Anyway, Windows 8.1 is much better. I just wish I could turn the tiles menu off completely and set the start button and windows logo button on the keyboard as a quick desktop button only. Also.. Microsoft.. stop trying to force everyone to have a Microsoft account. I can understand the features you are trying to give everyone, like having all my files, bookmarks, etc all synced between any computer or device I use Windows 8 on.. but I don't want that, because it means you would have all my data. I don't want you having all my data and I did not like the fact that when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 I saw no option to log into Windows with a local account until after I put a fake username / password into the Microsoft account login. I thought Facebook and google were the worse data horders, now MS wants copies / "Backups" of absolutely everything you own or do on any device or computer on their servers. No thanks.

Ok.. I can honestly say I hate the "apps" altogether. I'm using a PC and not a tablet. MS should remove all the app crap off of Windows 8 / 8.1 for PC and add an all programs list back to the taskbar by default. Here are a couple examples of why apps are pointless on PC.. I wanted to use a calculator a few weeks ago.. where is the calculator? I have no idea because there is no start menu that shows all programs. So I go to the apps, there it is! A calculator.. and its an app version that fills my entire screen (1600x1200), wtf. On a tablet this would be fine, but this thing is massive on my monitor. I had to go on google to figure out how the f*ck to use a calculator on my own PC. Turns out I had to use "Search" to find it.. really MS? I have to search for every single basic program? Why not just give me a list of all programs *coughSTARTMENUcough*. Going to the tiles menu is pointless on PC, you can click on "all apps", but that lists just apps and a few programs but not all programs. Because if it listed all programs, both of the Windows calculators would be in there but they are not. There are sometimes duplicated programs like IE and Calculator that show up in the search, the app version and the desktop version. Please MS.. remove all the apps off my PC. For f*cks sake.

Also, I couldn't remember the name of the Sniping Tool.. a basic window's program. I don't use the apps list because I'm used to only finding bullshit full screen apps in it, so I tried to "Search" my own PC for it and typed in "cropping tool".. no results. So yep.. I had to google search again to find out the name of the program so that I could in turn search my own PC.. of course I could have easily found it if there was a f*cking start menu.

Anyway, thats my rant.. Here is my solution. I found this link that gives me my all programs list back.. but unlike the nice Windows 7 start menu version, this list acts more like the start menu of Windows XP.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-add-an-all-programs-button-to-the-windows-8-taskbar

Microsoft seriously needs make Windows 8.1 even more PC friendly. All of the apps are pointless on PC. If they changed the tiles / apps list to show all desktop applications only, then at least the start button would actually be usable except for just a right click menu. If they could remove these apps or at least give me the option to remove all apps, and give me a Windows 7 style all programs list, then yes, Windows 8.1 would be a superior OS.. but until then, these apps wastes space and an entire menu system for me..

Pfft, this is why you reformat the computer and put Windows 7 on it. Fixes all your problems.

I still refuse to upgrade to Windows 8. My friends has been harping me to do it because "it's so much better then 7." Yea, I'll pass thank you. Sadly this is what happens when you take an OS designed to be used by tablets and try and re-purpose it for use as a desktop OS.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589