Pchan

Your top tier anime ...

So everyone discovers old anime or new anime all the time but what do you consider is your favorite anime series or top 2 or top 3, not beyond that because then it becomes a hey check out these 10/ 15 series that are good. No, the purpose of this thread is to narrow it down to get to the top. 

This could be a movie or a series or an OVA. 

I admit I haven't kept current with many anime series that came out in the past 3 years but I check out the best rated ones from time to time and skip the rest. So far, none have impressed me to a scale where I can safely say I'd be a life long fan. 

The one series that comes to mind that I still watch as it comes out (or try to)  is One Piece. Sledge and I have discussed this at length and I can't get myself to like the current animation style when it comes to fight sequence but it's varied from arc to arc. Thriller Bark marked the switch to a bigger resolution and better art style, supposedly, but I preferred everything from character design to art direction, music theme and more importantly - pacing - from Post Enies Lobby arc and before. The story outweighs the design and it's executed well in the anime vs the manga. 

There's a lot of detail I can go through but I don't want an overkill first post, so I'll end it now. 

Akira would be my choice of top tier anime movie, for many many reasons. I'm a fan of Ghibli or other classics by non-Ghibli studios but if I had to choose 1, I'd pick Akira. Want to know why? Hit reply and find out :)

That's two of my choices, I would have to think of my last/ final choice or leave it at this. 

Edited by Pchan

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Akira will always have a special place in my heart because it was one of the two first anime I've ever watched when Sci-Fi channel aired it along with Vampire Hunter D in the 90s. Before that, I had never seen such violence in animation, or even a serious story in that format.

If I had to choose my favorite anime movies I'd go with Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky... I love Miyazaki's work. The story and the art work behind his films are always amazing whether its something he did in the 80s or something hes done in the past 10 years. I can't say I've disliked anything I've watched by him.

My top 10 favorite anime series is in a constant state of change now that I have access to so many series, I'll stick with a series that has been completed.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I was a huge fan of the original anime, and I still like it for what it was. Compared to the actual magna, the direction they went was kinda oddball when they surpassed it. Brotherhood is so much better. I love the story, and I love anime in which every character matters, (Unlike DBZ where only Goku matters). With as many important players both protagonist and antagonist, I like how they kept them all relevant. Each death mattered. The animation style, the fight sequences, and the sound track are all well done. The ending was complete which is always important to me.

I'll get to One Piece one day, but before I commit to that many episodes, I'm still checking out shorter 12-24 ep series before I delve in.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

The original FMA series has a much better soundtrack in comparison. But the plot stays true to the manga in the latter series, so it's my pick too between the two of them. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I love One Piece, Its probably the best anime I've ever seen. I agree about the pace being slow in many parts now. Thriller Bark seemed to last forever, but thats probably because Oda had that arc last over 1 year of manga chapters. If Bleach ended at the Soul Society arc, I'd say it ranks up there pretty high for me, but that anime ended up going on and on and eventually canceled because of a poor manga writing. For completed series, my top three are Gurren Lagann, Gungrave and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. For movies, my favorites are Princess Mononoke, Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Battle Angel.

And of course there is Berserk. I loved the original series in english. Probably because its how I was introduced to it. I'd list it as a complete series favorite, but it only covers one part of the actual manga and it leaves too much unanswered. I wish they would remake the entire series from the beginning and follow the manga like how FMA Brotherhood did.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Considering how much anime I've seen this is a tall order to ask of me (643 series, OVA, movies, and specials completed (according to MAL, that's somewhat off)). My tastes have changed considerably over the last couple of years (more so in the last 6) and whereas in the past it might of been action packed series or harem/fan service series now-a-days it's hard for me to choose my top 2 or 3 anime (also, like DX, my top 10 fluctuates as I see more and more series). My top 3 have stayed pretty consistent over the last couple of years so I'll list them and it's safe to say these will always be shows I find myself watching, even 10 or so years down the line.

My number 1 choice would have to be Aria (the whole of the series, no just one season or the OVA). A series that has found it's way into my heart and refuses to leave. I love everything about this show. The art is amazing, the soundtrack is superb (I listen to it everyday while I sleep), and the characters are lovable (especially President Aria, you just can't help but love that cat). Yes, it's one of those cute girls doing cute things shows so it's not everyone's cup of tea (especially since there is no action and the story character driven). This is one of those very few shows that I watch when I'm in a foul mood, it immediately puts me into a better mood and completely relaxes me. I highly recommend this show to everyone as long as your okay with slice-of-life shows.

My number 2 show is a show I never thought I'd like but after watching it at a friends urging fell in love with it immediately and that's Mushishi. Much like Aria I love everything about this show. The art (imo) is amazing, I love the soundtrack, the characters are amazing (Ginko is the man, no one can tell me differently), and the episodic nature of the show makes every episode enjoyable. Again this is another show that is on the slow side so don't go into it expecting great action sequences and what not. The show is centered around the relationship between Mushi and how they interact with nature. Like Aria I highly recommend this show to everyone and the second season just started airing here three weeks ago (much to my happiness, I never knew how much I missed this show still I started watching the second season).

Those are my top two anime on my list at the moment. The third one would be a hard choice as it's tied between quite a few series and movies and I really don't want to choose between them. More so because I love all the shows equally and don't want to demote the others just because I had to choose one. As I said there's no action packed series or mech series here (surprising to a few I'm sure, being the huge Gundam and Mecha fan that I am) but as I said before my tastes have changed a lot in the last 6 years and shows like those just don't interest me much anymore (the exception here being Kill la Kill, this show is absolutely amazing and I don't care what anyone says. Those of you who enjoyed Gurren Lagann (a show I still have yet to see) would most likely enjoy it since the same studio did Kill la Kill). I never really got into the whole shounen genre mostly because shows that last more than 50 episodes are usually start taking a turn for the worst after that point (no I have not been watching One Piece, I still mean to get around to it but who has the time to watch 600+ episodes just to get caught up (I don't even know what ep number it's up to)).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Aria, Strider's making me all nostalgic with this series. I loved loved Aria The Animation and Aria The Natural. Watched them both as they were coming out. Laced with personal, touching and real like scenario feelings, it won me over. I regret not checking out other seasons, just looked it up and there's a season 3 and an OVA. Man ... if you're a fan of Haibane Renmei or Sketchbook, check it out. It's like Ah! My Goddess without the supernatural but in terms of what it can do to you emotionally as you watch it. 

Aria, Strider's making me all nostalgic with this series. I loved loved Aria The Animation and Aria The Natural. Watched them both as they were coming out. Laced with personal, touching and real like scenario feelings, it won me over. I regret not checking out other seasons, just looked it up and there's a season 3 and an OVA. Man ... if you're a fan of Haibane Renmei or Sketchbook, check it out. It's like Ah! My Goddess without the supernatural but in terms of what it can do to you emotionally as you watch it. 

Check out Aria The Origination when you get a chance GG because it's full of awesome moments (I'm not afraid to admit I cried twice during the season, two parts are extremely heartwarming that you just can't help but cry). My only complaint about it is that it's the last season (so very very sad, this show should of never ended but then again it ends exactly where the manga ends so you really can't complain). The OVA is quite nice as well, a nice little addition to an already awesome show. O.o Sketchbook, another great series (I really need to get caught up on the manga) as is Haibane Renmei.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589