Sledgstone

Music Recommendations?

This may sound odd to some of you, but I have more or less taken a break from music for about 2 decades. I used to listen to a variety of music in the past (mostly in the 90s) when I was in high school and mostly when I was driving my car. I used to enjoy car stereo hardware back then too. I installed my own systems, I had an amp in the back with two 12 inch subwoofers in my trunk. But I only listened to music when I was driving because I have some concentration issues when listening to music while doing work that requires concentration. I was a bad multi-tasker. Anyway.. I sit at a computer and type all day and I there is a coworker that sits near me that now drives me insane with coughing.. three months now of constant deep, guttural, bronchitis coughing. Its like a bullhorn going off randomly every 1-5 minutes of every hour of every day.

I recently borrowed Lady's MP3 player and with my skull candy earbuds, I have been able to silence the coughing woman with blaring music in my ears. And guess what! I was still able to concentrate. I believe this woman's cough has broken my concentration wall completely. Loud music is nothing compared to listening to her coughing. Now that I can listen to music again outside of a car, I honestly have no idea what music I should listen to. So I started listening to whatever she had on the mp3 player. Turns out I still like a large variety of music and just about everything outside of the 90s is all new to me.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I should listen to? I've currently been listening to Journey, The Police, Fleetwood Mac, anime soundtracks for Air Gear, Naruto, Fairy Tail and a bunch of other songs. Anything anyone recommends, I will listen to it. I need to figure out what I like again and I won't know unless I check out a variety of songs. I think I'm leaning more towards rock and anime soundtracks at this point, but I'll listen to just about anything.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

My taste in music ever since I stopped watching TV has come from mostly whatever video games were licensed to play. I don't even have FM radio at the moment. And I haven't really listened to any new music since Saints Row The Third.... Since Saints Row 4 lacked any form of Hard Rock.

If I had to focus on any type of music in particular it would probably lean toward Metal with its own political innuendo like Otep's Rise Rebel Resist. (Which also shockingly made me realize the innuendo for KoRn's Twisted Transistor.) I also listened to Rage Against The Machine, but nothing that really feels memorable at the moment.

Back in the early 2000's until they split I was into most of System Of A Down's music. (Although SOAD's Song, Science, Is a bigger turd than ICP's Miracle.) I find it shocking how SOAD's song Prison might reflect a different time in a decade or so once the drug war is over. They also do some really bizarre songs like Peephole. Their lead singer still makes songs but it doesn't feel right without an actual band there.

My taste for Rap is very limited due to losing interest or out right hating it at a particular time. Such as nWo's The Wolf Pac Theme, Eminem's Under The Influence, Mannie Fresh's Real Big which was the theme for MidNight Club 3, & Kanye West's Power which was the song used for Saints Row The Third's trailer.

Despite my Fallout with Fallout 3 & New Vegas over there Morals they have a lot of good but old songs. I enjoyed listening to Ink Spots, Bob Crosby, & Roy Brown.

The closest I get into J-Pop or whatever it is, is Caramel Dansen.... The hips to whatever animated character I'm watching is very distracting....

Then the rest of the songs I listen to have been Earworms that I've attached to various Video Game Ideas that I write down & may never finish fleshing out at this rate. Such as Country Joe's & The Fish's I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die, Evanescence's Everybody's Fool, & Staind's Outside.

*Edit*

Forgot to mention some Earworms are stuck in my head based on character ideas. Well 2 currently. Vermilion Part 2 by Slipknot. And Pieces by Sum 41.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Straight from Saints Row the Third my favorite jam to drive to..

Classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRsqM78WiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNataLbqMbY

Love it..

If you didn't like TLC in the 90's you're a damn liar

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Recommending music has never been my forte, mostly because people don't like the same music I like since I tend to listen to the darker shit out there (huge Death Metal Fan but I listen to just about anything as long as it's not country or rap (I make an exception for Eminem)).

That said lately I've been listening to a lot of Korn, Rob Zombie, Scar the Martyr, In Flames, Lacuna Coil (my all time favorite band), Five Finger Death Punch, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse (like I said, darker shit), old school Godsmack (don't like their new stuff), Staind, oddly enough Daft Punk, Eminem, and a few other bands. I highly recommend any of the bands I did mention, the ones you haven't heard of check out on Youtube (I will warn Cannibal Corpse is not for everyone, I blame my friend for getting me into them). I'm sure they might have one or two songs you might like.

I do listen to a lot of anime soundtracks (and j-rock) but those are really hard to recommend, especially since it usually takes watching to show to determine whether you'll like the song or not (plus I have so many anime soundtracks on my harddrive I'd have no idea where to start recommending (though any Macross soundtrack is worth listening too, they always have great music (especially 7 and Frontier)).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to check me and lady's old CDs and mp3s to see what we already that some of you have recommended. I'll get try some random groups that have been mentioned in here and try to see what I like. When I find my old CD binder I'll post some pics of what cds I owned as a teenager. :P

If you don't enjoy Deathmetal, skip Cannibal Corpse. Macross Frontier's music is pretty good. What other Deathmetal bands do you listen to, Strider? Post some of your go-to albums or bands for me ... or maybe your best of 2013? 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I've fallen out of touch with Death Metal over the last couple of years, mostly due to my renewed interest in old school bands I used to listen to (Korn, Rob Zombie, Godsmack, etc (plus my obsession with Lacuna Coil (new album in April))) plus my renewed interest in other metal sub-genres. About the only real death metal bands I listen to anymore are In Flames, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, and recently been getting into Trivium (they're more along the lines of In Flames (melodic death metal)). Outside of those I really don't even know whats going on in the death metal scene anymore.

I see I see. I listen to a lot of Deathmetal (old school, brutal, technical), Blackmetal, Doom. It also depends on what album you pick from a band, like we take Cradle Of Filth for instance, outside of their first 4 albums they're just not good at all. Can't get into Melodic Deathmetal or Power metal, period. Outside of metal, I listen to a lot of ambient stuff, 80's and 90's synth/ electro. 

Were you able to check what older music you have on you, Sledge? 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Didn't think I'd like Melodic Death Metal either until my best friend introduced me to In Flames. Fell in love with them instantly (though I will admit they're last album was a little hit or miss, a lot of good songs but it just wasn't what I came to love from their earlier stuff). Not going to say I like all Melodic Death Metal, a lot of the bands in that sub-genre kinda suck (Trivium is the exception outside of In Flames). Power Metal I never really got into (outside of Iced Earth, though they've played just about every metal sub-genre there is).

Yea I did notice Cradle of Filth has been getting worse (I own most of their albums and really only have enjoyed the first four, though I did enjoy a few songs off Nymphetamine), but really I've only been listening to their older stuff (as I said fell really out of touch with Death Metal over the years). Any recommendations on bands I should check out GG? Been looking into getting back into the music again and I really just don't know where to start (my first intro to death metal was Cradle of Filth and Children of Bodom).

Ai yai yai ... Nymphetamine. Expect a longer post from me later tonight or tomorrow. I'll break it down for you with the stuff that's worth it. 

I'm going to try to list anything accessible to you, new and/ old across different genres, Strider. 

Meshuggah - start with Obzen, then Catch 33 (this entire album is based on 1 primary riff), Nothing, Destroy Erase Improve, Chaosphere, Koloss, Contradictions Collapse. Meshuggah is the best 'djent' band around, hands down. Bands try to ape their style, every djent band is influenced by them and they're always 2 steps ahead of the game. Good time changes and very technical. 

Immolation - Failures For Gods, Here In After, Close To A World Below, Dawn Of Possession. 

Fear Factory - Soul Of A New Machine, Obsolete, Demanufacture.

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina.

Summoning - Dol Guldur, Stronghold, Oath Bound.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within, Despise The Sun, Human Waste, Effigy of The Forgotten.

Skepticism - Lead and Aether, Stormcrowfleet.

Deeds of Flesh - Portals To Canaan. 

Disgorge (California) - Consume The Forsaken, She Lay Gutted.

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, Gateways To Annihilation, Covenant. 

Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, IX Equilibrium, In The Nightside Eclipse. 

Numinous - Numinous.

Devourment - 1.3.8

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God, MoRT.

Darkened Nocurn Slaughtercult - Nocturnal March, Necrovision. 

Shape Of Despair - Shades Of...

Evoken - Quietus, Antithesis Of Light, Embrace The Emptiness.

My Dying Bride - As The Flower Withers, The Dreadful Hours, The Light At The End Of The World, Turn Loose The Swans, A Map Of All Our Failures.

Wormed - Exodromos, Planisphaerium, Quasineutrality. 

Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire, The Destroyers Of All, Of Fractures And Failure. 

Defeated Sanity - Passages Into Deformity.

Gorguts - everything, start with From Wisdom To Hate. 

Katatonia - first 7 albums.

Bolzer - Aura.

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus, Drought, Fas, Kenose.

Anathema - Judgement, A Natural Disaster, We're Here Because We're Here.

Alcest - first 3 albums and Les Discretes (the band) is better so check them out too.

Amorphis - Tales.

Carcass - Tools Of The Trade.

Birdflesh - Night Of The Ultimate Mosh.

Incantation - first 3 albums.

Rotting Christ - Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers, Non Servium.

Dissection - first 2.

Burzum - Filosofem.

Darkthrone - first 5.

Obituary - Slowly We Rot, Cause Of Death, The End Complete.

Deicide - Once Upon The Cross.

Vader - De Profundis, Litany, Revelations.

Sinister - Cross The Styx, Diabolical Summoning, Hate, Afterburner.

Cryptopsy - first 4.

Monstrosity - first 2.

Nile - Among, Black Seeds, Annihilation. 

This isn't the basic stuff, it's just something off the top of my head and should give you some time to go through, plus depending on what you like/ don't like, I can throw in more recommendations specific to that sort of style/ genre/ whatever. There's much more. Thing is, like anime or movies, there's a lot out there but it's key to skip the bad stuff cos you don't want to waste your time with it. 

I've been listening to pretty much exclusively MC Frontalot, Frank Zappa, and Ted Nugent for the past..... while, at least. Is that a weird combination of musicians? I think it is, probably, but a good one by the standards of my ear-holes at least.

I listed to some Queensryche the other day.. Operation: Mindcrime. I thought it was a crazy album and I liked it. Its my first time really listening to a rock opera before. ^_^; Its interesting to hear every song follow a storyline. Anyone have other rock operas they'd recommend?

I listed to some Queensryche the other day.. Operation: Mindcrime. I thought it was a crazy album and I liked it. Its my first time really listening to a rock opera before. ^_^; Its interesting to hear every song follow a storyline. Anyone have other rock operas they'd recommend?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/09/top-14-greatest-rock-operasconcept-albums-of-all-time?page=1

Opeth anyone?

King Diamond?

Type O Negative?

Want to get hyped up?! What about some F*cking Pantera?!

I love this song so much, Dime's guitar work is out of this world

Only because it was the second harderst song on Guitar Hero behind Dragonforce.

DRAGONFORCE!!!!!!!!

I started listening to Nirvana and The Who and I realized I don't actually like Nirvana. I can only understand maybe 5 words in every song. Its like Kurt Cobain had his own language. Considering I listen to anime songs in a language I have no comprehension of.. I still can't seem to get into Nirvana. Their music videos are better than the actual songs.

The Who is good so far. Their music has that old classic feel to it and the live recordings are good. I going to listen to the album Tommy to see how that is before I move onto something else.

I started listening to Nirvana and The Who and I realized I don't actually like Nirvana. I can only understand maybe 5 words in every song. Its like Kurt Cobain had his own language. Considering I listen to anime songs in a language I have no comprehension of.. I still can't seem to get into Nirvana. Their music videos are better than the actual songs.

The Who is good so far. Their music has that old classic feel to it and the live recordings are good. I going to listen to the album Tommy to see how that is before I move onto something else.

Does this sum it up for you?

XD

What songs or album of Nirvana's did you listen to? Maybe it's not about the lyrical content but the music sounding harsh to your ears?

Hit up Nevermind - 

Edited by Pchan