Pchan

Dr. Who

I know nothing about this show except that I see a brown coat cosplayed and a robot looking thing called a dalek, whatever that is. 

Where do I start, specifically what season/ year/ whatever? 

I love all things Sci-Fi and have to know if this is worth the craze/ buzz around it. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Start with the reboot The 9th Doctor Christopher Eccleston . He was the Dr for a season before we got David who stuck around a few seasons and then Matt. Don't forget to watch the specials. 

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

This is the list of episodes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

Skip everything prior to the ninth doctor and you'll be fine. Every new doctor is a soft reboot of the entire series. Almost all secondary characters are all dropped and long running plot lines are all finished at the end of a doctor's series. Wherever you decide to start, pick a doctor and start the episodes from where his series starts.

If you are looking for torrents, search for Doctor Who 2005 seasons / series 1-7. Since the complete reactivation of the series in 2005, the series has started over as Season 1 in regards to searching. I say reactivation and not reboot, because all the episodes over the past 50 years are considered canon. Also, there are christmas specials for every year since 2005. Each christmas special is like an extra episode at the end of that season and fits in chronologically with the events of whatever season just took place. Like I was saying tho, each new doctor is like a soft reboot. Pick one and watch from there. If you like the show and want to see another doctor's adventures, start watching from when the new actor started. If you watch all the episodes from 2005 to current, you'll know the series in and out pretty well. If not, thats fine because the plot of each new doctor's series explains everything you need to know to fully enjoy and understand whats going on.

Only on a couple occasions has a secondary character carried over from one doctor to the next, don't worry about it tho, because whatever happens in that series is explained well enough that you won't have to watch older episodes if you choose not to.

Many people have a favorite doctor. David Tennant was the 10th doctor. Many people started on his series because that was when Syfy / channel or BBC America started airing the episodes as they were coming out in the UK. Syfy aired a couple seasons and then stopped. Since then BBC America channel has aired all the current Doctor Who episodes in the USA. Before the revived series got popular in the US, I had to download the first couple seasons via torrents just to watch the show.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'll always remember when the doctor was me ....

gonna miss Matt but looking forward to new adventures with Peter

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

So far I'm 5 episodes in. It's funny how critical we can get with new TV shows and their early episodes and then they never make it to a second or first season. For 2005's standards, this could have worked but today's standards, doesn't hold up for me. I'm told to watch on, so I'll give it a shot. Wait a minute, even for 2005's standards, it would not work for me. Twin Peaks, The X Files, The Sopranos, The Wire ... all have good openings where you don't have to wait for the series to pick up. So in that sense, there's disappointment, if that explains where I'm coming from. 

Edited by Pchan

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

If it doesn't grab your interest by the end of the first season, drop the show. But skip ahead and watch the "Blink" episode. By watching the first season and that blink episode you'll know the references to daleks, the weeping angels and who the doctor is.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg