Pchan

Space Dandy to air simultaneously in Japan and North America

That's a good question. (laugh) I came here to announce just that! I'm going to talk about it in tomorrow's panel, but right now I'm working on a new project: Space Dandy. It's been a while since I last did an original work. There's been lots of plans up until now, but all of them fell through before they could become a reality. So yes, I know it's really been a while. In Space Dandy, I'm trying to challenge myself and do stuff I haven't done before. Firstly, this is a pure comedy series. Before, I would make shows that were relatively not-so-comedic. There would be funny episodes here and there, but it wouldn't be all silliness. This time, it is all comedy. I feel that current animation trends are a bit toned down. Things could be bigger and more extravagant in anime. That's what I'd like to express. I feel like I want to make anime that destroys the norms, something that would be strong even if it is unconventional. I want to do things that other people haven't done before, and not get trapped up in those "this has to be done this way" sorts of ideas. I'm always wanting to try new stuff. At the same time, I want Space Dandy to be something you can still have fun with and just enjoy as a comedy. Every week the main characters will go to different stars, but from star to star, entirely different themes will be explored, and that means we will completely change over the style of everything each time. There will be different art styles, different moods, different directing styles, all completely unique for each episode. At the same time, there will be aliens from other planets every week, but every planet has different designers, so there will be lots of varied designs in one place onscreen.

It sounds very interesting and completely different from traditional anime. Very trippy. I'll probably pass on this tho because it'll probably give me a seizure. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

For the first time ever the English dub of an anime will broadcast in North America at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast. FUNimation has aquired the rights to Space Dandy and will air it on Adult Swim in January.

For more info: http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2464

Promotional Video:

I think his is pretty cool. I was wondering if Funi would ever be able to pull something like this. They've had new eps on their site before in subtitled forum, but its a pretty amazing feat to have the Japanese and English voice work being produced at the same time. I'm curious if the have any more like this in the works.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Damn the same trailer as the previous Space Dandy thread.... I think.

And I still want to know what the supposed lizard chick's face looks like.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I hope they can get more deals like this... most notably the new episodes of DBZ that are being produced. Which would make sense as the majority of their gross profits still come from DBZ to this day. I've been dreaming of simultaneous releases for years now. My next hope is that one can break into major primetime cable networking or syndication. Anime has been telling better stories than the garbage we get on TV here for years now. American animation were originally intended for adults in the first place like Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. Just because something is animated doesn't mean its for kids... but that's a stigma that is still a distant hurdle to get over in the west.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Very true. I remember the good days of Toonami. Come home from school or work and actually get something with a plot as opposed to random cartoon episodes that can be watched in any order and have no real beginning or ending. Its a shame most anime on tv is only on past midnight. So damn annoying.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Dub, who cares about that? I'll wait for a sub the same day or next. Either way, I'm glad it's a good step because whether I don't like dubs or not is irrelevant if it helps the industry grow and get financially secure. So more exposure or online sales per episodes or subscriptions or whatever will help MAYBE. 

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.