http://www.evaotaku.com/html/neweva.html

"It will be a work that can be enjoyed even if you have not seen the TV series. I want old hard-core fans and even fans who just know Eva from pachinko to view it as a single (i.e. stand-alone) movie. We welcome first-time viewers, so the contents will be simpler, but we don’t intend to make something on a level that can be understood just by spacing out and watching it.

"When you say 'Eva' there are probably people who are reminded

of a worldview steeped in mystery, but this time it looks like those

types of elements will be kept to a minimum.

"This is because techniques such as intentionally scattering difficult to understand phrases to create uncertainty are 12 years old. The essence of this project is to foil all expectations that everyone has towards Eva."

Excerpt from Newtype, October 2006. Translated by Bochan_bird.

So, several years ago, Hideaki Anno decided to remake Evangelion into four films. I didn't know this until today, with three films out and no idea when the final one is. I gotta say, I've got mixed feelings. I mean, the idea behind it and first about half of the series was really good, despite Shinji's whineyness. But it just ended in a bad mind-fuck which kinda leaves a bad impression overall. I'm curious if anyone has seen the first three and can tell if it's heading in the same direction, or if they cut down the religious overtones and soap-opera drama somewhat, or at least didn't leave you going 'what the fuck?' at the screen every ten minutes or so.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

The TV series is pretty good, IMHO if you watch it completely with the supplement material. The Rebuild project was supposed to be a different take on the series with a completely different ending by the time you finish 4 movies. The story's different, characterization's very different (at least to me). The endings or implications of each of the 3 released movies is different. So far I really like the first 3 movies. Pre-ordered BR's each time. 

Do not expect the story plot/ explanation delivered in a simple manner. It's as intelligent as it was in the series, so far. If the TV series was a mind-frakk in a bad way where it pissed you off, don't watch Rebuild. 

Instrumentation of humanity is still part of the story, it's what the series is about. If anything one of the big differences is that they had to cut out the cheesy joking stuff from the TV series because time allowed for movie format is restrictive. 

I could break it down movie by movie but it'll spoil everything unless you've watched it. 

EDIT: Watch the first movie, it's about an hour and a half long. If you don't like it, skip the rest. 

Edited by Pchan

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

What GG said. I'll repeat my thoughts from my status update DX pointed out. This show and the movies are not for everyone, while this is an extremely thought provoking anime don't expect to get everything handed to you explanation wise. Anno has always been known for making his viewers think more in-depth about his shows, making you find your own answers instead of handing everything to you on a silver plate. While it may piss you off (I have a love/hate relationship with this whole franchise) it's just how it is, get used to it.

The movies are a complete rebuild of the series, as the name suggests. In terms of stuff carried over from the series I'll break it down slightly so as not to ruin anything for those who do want to watch this. The first movie, for the most part, is a retelling of the first few angel attacks and the first part of the series. Some new stuff is added in (more so about establishing the characters, some characters are not the same as they were in the series). The second movie retells some of the next few angel attacks but for the most part is almost all new. New takes on how certain events take place and a re-characterization of some of the primary characters (Asuka for one is, for the most part, a whole different character (still maintains here pissy attitude though)). The third movie is all new content and gives some characters (Kaworu is given a much bigger role in this one) more screen time and purpose. As I said in my status update it's a complete mind fuck, I'm still trying to piece some things together that don't make sense (and figure out where the 3rd movie we were promised went, anyone who's seen movie 2 will know what I'm talking about).

Sadly, if you hated Shinji in the series, you're going to want to castrate him after watching these movies. He's a lot more whiny and I honestly think Anno hates him because he's given one kick to the nuts after another in rapid succession. It's quite sad actually.

Instrumentation of Humanity is still the goal and underlying plot in the movies but we're not heading in the same direction as the series did (or at least from my perception). There's more of a sinister feeling behind it now then there was in the series but I can't go more into it without completely ruining it for those who want to watch the show. This isn't really seen until the 3rd movie but you get hints of it in movie 2.

Overall only watch it if your interested in what the Rebuild is doing or if you were a fan of the TV series and the 2 movies that accompany them. As GG said watch the first movie, if you don't like it then skip the rest of the movies because you're not going to like them.

Edited by Strider Hiryu

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Well, I did like most of the original series. It's just that it was such a bad mindfuck at the end. I don't mind some confusion and I understand some questions aren't going be answered at the end. But I honestly can't remember how the series ended or how End of Evangelion went because I was THAT confused by it. At one point, I just turned my brain off and watching the pretty colors. ><

But now I have this running through my head. XD

(you can find the redux on youtube, but there's something wrong with the audio in places. still it was nice to actually hear Misoto's lines XD)

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Well, I did like most of the original series. It's just that it was such a bad mindfuck at the end. I don't mind some confusion and I understand some questions aren't going be answered at the end. But I honestly can't remember how the series ended or how End of Evangelion went because I was THAT confused by it. At one point, I just turned my brain off and watching the pretty colors. ><

You'll go through it again, like mentioned above. Up to you to check it out, knowing the consequence. 

Evangelion to me was a cool mecha anime with a desolate end much like Rahxephon. It's only after talking about it with a close pal that I realized how enthusiastic he was about the symbolism of everything (something as simple as colors of character suits and how it relates to their nature, etc.). I knew what the series intended to show the audience but knowing these different facts opens it up for a different appreciation/ interpretation of the series. My point is, some people like it for visuals, some people like it for all those heavy encrypted messages and some people don't like anything from the series or don't care - period. My appreciation went up a few notches when I knew more, and that's my experience. 

What's Berserk about? Popular belief - "Oh it's about this guy called Guts (who calls themselves that huh?!!) wielding a huge sword, cutting through monsters and it's got so much blood, nudity and all that.". In a way, I'd agree with that but that's not close to anything I feel that defines Berserk.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

But thats what Berserk is. lol. :P Berserk the manga is amazing, The "Idea of Evil" was one of the most interesting chapters in the series and the depth of what actually takes place in the manga is never fully shown in the anime or movies. That and every chapter is a work of art with incredible detail.

I'll watch these EVA movies at some point. The thing that annoys me is that Anno and EVA is reminding me of George Lucas and Star Wars.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I don't know yet.. But it makes me think.. when this series first came out it was all released in dvds, then a boxset, then 2 movies, then a platinum edition and now a remake. So many dvds and movies for a single series that finished so many years ago. If he ends up re-releasing these new movies in 4k 3D format 5-10 years from now then he'll be the new George Lucas. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg