Sledgstone

World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

The world's first lab-grown burger has been cooked and eaten at a news conference in London.

Scientists took cells from a cow and, at an institute in the Netherlands, turned them into strips of muscle that they combined to make a patty.

One food expert said it was "close to meat, but not that juicy" and another said it tasted like a real burger.

Researchers say the technology could be a sustainable way of meeting what they say is a growing demand for meat.

The burger was cooked by chef Richard McGeown, from Cornwall, and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald.

Upon tasting the burger, Austrian food researcher Ms Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect, but I miss salt and pepper.

"This is meat to me. It's not falling apart."

Food writer Mr Schonwald said: "The mouthfeel is like meat. I miss the fat, there's a leanness to it, but the general bite feels like a hamburger.

"What was consistently different was flavour."

Prof Mark Post, of Maastricht University, the scientist behind the burger, remarked: "It's a very good start."

The professor said the meat was made up of tens of billions of lab-grown cells. Asked when lab-grown burgers would reach the market, he said: "I think it will take a while. This is just to show we can do it."

Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, has been revealed as the project's mystery backer. He funded the £215,000 ($330,000) research.

Prof Tara Garnett, head of the Food Policy Research Network at Oxford University, said decision-makers needed to look beyond technological solutions.

"We have a situation where 1.4 billion people in the world are overweight and obese, and at the same time one billion people worldwide go to bed hungry," she said.

Click the link to read the rest of the story..

I don't think I'd want to eat that... but I beat its better quality meat than what we get at Taco Bell and McDonalds. This could be the future of meat production in the future, but I won't be pleased until they can grow a full sirloin steak with perfect fat marbling... And then eventually someone will make Star Trek TNG replicators and thats when I'll become obese... I'll sit in front of that thing and order endless buckets of KFC with mashed potatoes and gravy. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Cultured Meat is a must. At some point in time we got to have a better solution than those "Vicious Kale Killers".

As for Star Trek TNG I need a Holodeck real bad for High Tail Hall.... And other inappropriate games....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.