Sledgstone

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Official Teaser Trailer [HD]

The second in a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" continues the adventure of the title character Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) as he journeys with the Wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and thirteen Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) on an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.

This trailer looks visually stunning.

Click here to view the article

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

As much as I loved the first Hobbit movie (yes the guy who hated the LotR movies actually liked the first one, Jackson actually stuck to the first part of the book pretty damn well) I'm sick of Peter Jackson taking liberties in his movies. Legolas has no place in this movie as he was not in the book. Why he needs to be in the movie escapes me?

Hey now I liked the singing and dish throwing scene, thought it added a little bit of humor and awesome Dwarf antics to the movie. I'm just looking forward to finally seeing Smaug, was so disappointed when they didn't show him in the first movie.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I wish Smaug was in the first movie.. A book about a dragon and a horde of gold and all we get is a brief glimpse of him at the end. The dish trowing and singing wasn't all that bad, it just felt like filler to me.. and I think I would have enjoyed it more if not for the lack of the dragon.. they had the time to put a playful scene like that in, but not a dragon.. it kinda irked me. :crap:

*GLEEE!*

*ahem*

Well, the singing and dish throwing did happen in the book.  In fact, the first movie did a very good job staying with the source material.  I don't know about the Dul Goldure scenes as I've not read what that came from, but I thought it worked out well.  And, really, as much as he wants to stay with the book, marketing today demands things like fan favorite characters showing back up and other odds and ends like that.  So, not in the book, but considering that's where he's from, I don't have an issue with Legolas showing up.  At least it's not like he traveled from somewhere else just to show up.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Yea I know but it's still hard to swallow, especially considering how truthfully he stayed to the first part of the book in the first movie. It just kills me to know he has to concede to stupid marketing ploys to get his movie watched. I like Legolas, always have but honestly the movie is just going to be strange with him in it. /sigh, it'll still be good with him in it anyways because Smaug will be making an appearance finally.

Yeah, it did, but I expected that.  After all, Tolkien was VERY wordy since he was an English professor.  He wove a great story, but it is a hard read.  What annoyed me was all the stuff they wedged in that wasn't in the book.  ><  They tried to make it a bit more PC and focus on the love story, but all that did was add time and padding to the movie that could've been taken up with stuff actually in the book. 

Still, overall it was an awesome set of movies, and I did enjoy them.

acsig2016.jpg

It scares me to think if Jackson plans on making a Silmarillion movie, that thing would be split into at least 5 movies all 4-5 hours long (you want a hard read go read The Silmarillion, that thing is hard to get through).

Yea, Jackson left out some of the best parts of the LotR books (like Tom Bombadil, by far the most awesome character ever created). Give them a read when you get a chance but I warn you the first part of the book is freaking boring. I don't know how many times I fell asleep in the middle of reading it (the only good part was Tom).

I wouldn't be surprised by an extended edition being longer but I doubt it'll be 4 hours long. The extended editions of the LotR movies only added about 30-45 minutes a piece (not to mention all the extra crap (the LotR Blu-ray set has 15 discs! I still haven't attempted to go through them yet (yea I bought them, hated the movies but they were still entertaining)).

I've experienced a horribly boring beginning of a book.. try reading Black House. My god the beginning sucked and went on forever... "the wood grain has a slight amber hue and the humidity in the air was warm and comforting, etc. etc. etc." for about 20 pages of pointless detail that had nothing to do with the story.. it was simply describing a single location that was never revisited after the initial opening.. wtf... get to the damn Territories already. :err:

Worst  book I ever tried to read was The Once and Future King.  It's one of the few books I never finished reading.  XD

And I'm sorry, I'm glad Tom Bombidal wasn't in the movie.  He was kinda pointless to the story and I thought he was kinda annoying.

acsig2016.jpg