preowned.jpg

Microsoft might be changing the entire used game market with their next console system the Xbox One. When a game is resold at a used game store like Gamestop, the retailer makes all the profit off the sale. In an attempt to get publishers and Microsoft a piece of those transactions, Microsoft might be putting strict limits on the transferring of physical games. In a report made by MCV, only retailers that have signed up with Microsoft will be allowed to resell used physical games.

Retailers will be free to charge whatever they wish for pre-owned Xbox One games, but both Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage cut of every sale.

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft has this week briefed key retail partners on how it intends to take ownership of the pre-owned market.

This is how we’ve been told it will all work:

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

If this ends up being true, then don't expect to be able to sell those used games on craigslist, ebay or at a garage sale. Unless you are a registered used seller with Microsoft, those already installed game discs will be nothing more than coasters to sit your drinks on.

None of this has been confirmed, but it does seem plausible. In fact, it could be the future of used game sales if Sony decides to adopt the same system.

There is also the possibility that Microsoft will put a stop to all used game sales for their console altogether and instead have an online MS run marketplace for the sale and transfer of used games.

Sources: MCV | Cramgaming

Click here to view the article

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

This doesn't feel like it would effect me much as I end up trading in games for store credit anyway.

The whole garage sale thing doesn't appeal to me though I can see how this could go bad for kids & adults who don't know who no longer want their games but want to sell them. Because that could get bad if the buyer comes back & snaps or whatever. This also damages eBay I guess.

Though if they're going to go this far I might as well be able to sell & or refund my DLC which isn't going to happen.

So if PS4 fails to make me want it, well, I don't need another Blu Ray Player I have no use for beyond gaming.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

This doesn't feel like it would effect me much as I end up trading in games for store credit anyway.

The whole garage sale thing doesn't appeal to me though I can see how this could go bad for kids & adults who don't know who no longer want their games but want to sell them. Because that could get bad if the buyer comes back & snaps or whatever. This also damages eBay I guess.

Though if they're going to go this far I might as well be able to sell & or refund my DLC which isn't going to happen.

So if PS4 fails to make me want it, well, I don't need another Blu Ray Player I have no use for beyond gaming.

It would be interesting if DLC would be tradeable online along with the sale of a used game. I doubt that would happen tho. DLC makes companies way too much money.

*updates the article*

I should have said craigslist, ebay or garage sales. Oops.

yeah but Ebay is a business in its own...a very big one so i can see them figuring out a deal with MS for that too

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

yeah but Ebay is a business in its own...a very big one so i can see them figuring out a deal with MS for that too

It makes me wonder if Ebay will be able to or not. Considering ebay is the middle man making the sale, ebay doesn't actually sell the product or ship it themselves which would force everyone selling used games to sign up as retailers.. Instead of that, Ebay would have to put a system in place to accept the game trade in like gamestop would do, and then they would have to hold onto the digital ownership of that game until the sale is made. At least that way used games would be verified before a sale even took place. I could see that working.

they dont have to hold onto it till the sale is made...they jsut have to be what they are....the middle man...and do the transfer of rights to it at the time of transaction.

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

they dont have to hold onto it till the sale is made...they jsut have to be what they are....the middle man...and do the transfer of rights to it at the time of transaction.

But that way, Microsoft doesn't get their cut. They would have to have system in place to inform the seller that X% of the sale will be taken out for Microsoft. I'm not sure how well that would go over.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

But that way, Microsoft doesn't get their cut. They would have to have system in place to inform the seller that X% of the sale will be taken out for Microsoft. I'm not sure how well that would go over.

Exactly. Ebay will not be included unless there is a way to track the sales of the game.... They would have to prevent you from listing it as something outside an XB1 game, then probably charge you an extra fee on top of their own %... which would be interesting because we'd get a look at what gamestop is getting. I personally think its absurd that Gamestop offers MS points and other things you can purchase from your console... I have never bought a used game from gamestop because of their insane pricing, and I never will. I don't feel sorry for any middle man getting the shaft from the deal. With all the developer layoffs and the closing of lucasarts, its apparent the gaming industry cannot continue how it has been operating.. especially since EA and Activision practically own every single developer. Read this: http://kotaku.com/used-games-arent-to-blame-for-all-the-video-game-indus-509593780

I think the borrowing thing could be fixed easily. The user could be given 10 codes that their friends could enter upon borrowing the game. The code would allow them to play the game for an unlimited time for a month. Or maybe they could treat it like a prepaid cellphone plan and give the borrower 50 hours... at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the average Triple A RPG. Or assessing the average game completion among its online users, give each borrower half that allotted time. If you're game is good, the user will surely buy it. This would push developers to make games people want to play, while not fully screwing over people that borrow games.

The only 2 games I've ever purchased after playing the demo was God of War and Limbo.... I don't know how the rest of gamers would feel.... but the 1/2 time would work for me in some cases.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I don't see how used games are causing all console games to stay high in price.. I think its greedy corporations. Because they can charge those prices, they do. And used games haven't been doing Gamestop much good considering they had to close hundreds of stores earlier this year: Gamestop Closing 250 stores

I think game prices have been fixed for years for consoles. A new game that has been out for years will almost never drop below $20 new, ever, unless its on sale for $15. On Steam.. wait 7 months after release and the new game will go on sale for $7.

I think the borrowing thing could be fixed easily. The user could be given 10 codes that their friends could enter upon borrowing the game. The code would allow them to play the game for an unlimited time for a month. Or maybe they could treat it like a prepaid cellphone plan and give the borrower 50 hours... at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the average Triple A RPG. Or assessing the average game completion among its online users, give each borrower half that allotted time. If you're game is good, the user will surely buy it. This would push developers to make games people want to play, while not fully screwing over people that borrow games.

The only 2 games I've ever purchased after playing the demo was God of War and Limbo.... I don't know how the rest of gamers would feel.... but the 1/2 time would work for me in some cases.

StarCraft 2 has been doing this for years. The game is tied to your account upon installation, but if you wanted to share the experience with someone you can give them a guest pass. Each box comes with some codes and you pass them out to friends. But its not unlimited. It allows full game access for 7 hours or 14 days upon activation, whichever comes first. I think by limiting the time like that it will prevent anyone from beating the game, but because its way longer than a demo, it could get new players hooked.