Sledgstone

Apple records and keeps users' Siri queries for up to 2 years

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-siri-queries-20130419,0,7117017.story

Siri isn't just a pretty voice with the answers. It's also been recording and keeping all the questions users ask.

Exactly what the voice assistant does with the data isn't clear, but Apple confirmed that it keeps users' questions for up to two years. Siri, which needs to be connected to the Internet to function, sends all of its users' queries to Apple.

Apple revealed the information after Wired posted an article this week raising the question and highlighting the fact that the privacy statement for Siri wasn't very clear about how long that information is kept or what would be done with it.

Technically Apple keeps Siri user data for six months, associating that data with the user. After that time, the company will disassociate users from the data, meaning it will remove any identifiers for who input that particular query into Siri. But for the next 18 months, Apple said, it keeps the disassociated data for the sake of product testing and improvement purposes.

The Cupertino, Calif., tech company didn't return calls seeking more information, particularly on whether Apple shares the data with anyone else.

Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller told Wired that "our customers' privacy is very important to us.”

Apple said that if a user turns off Siri, all the stored queries that are associated with that user over the last six months are deleted.

To turn off Siri, users can head to the settings app and tap "General" followed by "Siri." There, users can switch the toggle to the right of "Siri" from "On" to "Off."

Siri launched with the iPhone 4S more than a year ago and is now on the iPhone 5, the third- and fourth-generation iPad, the fifth-generation iPod Touch and the iPad mini.

So if they remove identifiers to no longer associate an individual with the questions asked to Siri.. then what about the content of the questions or information shared with Siri? All those peoples names, addresses, etc. are all saved on Apple's systems? "Call so and so", "Give me directions to this persons address", etc., etc. All that info is saved.. wtf. :wtf:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Do any of you use a specific VPN service for privacy? If so do you recommend a specific company? My older brother uses PureVPN life time subscription and swears by it. He has all his PC's setup with it and his family's cell phones via an app. I'm not as concerned about my privacy, google already knows everything already.. but when I want to download specific things I'll use windscribe's free vpn. I've been using it off and on for a couple months and it seems to work great so far without affecting my download rates too much. I noticed this deal earlier today and I upgraded my 10 gb/month plan to 60 gb. Heres the link:
      https://slickdeals.net/f/10310132-windscribe-vpn-free-60gb-per-month-new-or-existing-accounts
      Windscribe is decent since it has a browser extension for quick toggling private browsing and a separate software that applies to everything running on the PC. Anyone else have a VPN recommendation?
    • By Sledgstone
      http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57526994-94/android-users-outraged-over-motorolas-broken-promise/
      Next phone I buy will be an HTC or a Samsung. I will never buy a Motorola phone again. I specifically bought this phone because it was on sale, it had basically the same specs as the samsung galaxy at the time and it was guaranteed to be upgraded to the latest android operating system.
      I never got that upgraded operating system. Android 2.3 is so outdated, that numerous apps are not even available for it. I cannot even run Google Chrome.. wtf. No Vine, no Time Warner app, etc. Numerous basic features on all phones are not available to me because I bought this phone with the belief that I'd only use the old operating system for another month or so. I remember when my brother's Nexus got upgraded to android 4.1, he was talking about how it was like a brand new phone again.. I was looking forward to this upgrade for so long.. and then my hopes were crushed.
      Say no to Motorola. Don't even bother buying their crap, because its completely unsupported.
    • By Sledgstone
      http://www.gamesradar.com/sony-updates-ps4s-terms-service-remove-your-privacy-jk-you-never-had-any-begin/

This doesn't really surprise me.. I assumed they'd have full access to all the info stored on their servers. Just like Facebook and every other site. As long as they don't sell my information then I'm content with them knowing what games I play.
    • By Sledgstone
      Here is a video of Samsung's flexible screen tech from 2 years ago. Samsung, Sony and LG will all have flexible screens soon. This video was made before LG's flexible battery tech. Because there were no flexible batteries, there had to be a solid piece of the phone. Now the entire thing can be potentially flexible.

With how thin the screens can be, it might only be a matter of time before we have tablets that are the size of a standard 12 inch ruler that have screens that can be pulled / rolled out into full size.

Source:  Dailymail

The next interesting part is gesture control. All hands free control using ultrasound.

Combine these two techs and we'll have the next gen cell phones, tablets, laptops, TVs of the future.

Source: Bitrebels

The flexible screen tech got me thinking.. they could make clothing out of those screens. Imagine a camouflage suit made out of this display technology. With the proper use of numerous mini cameras the screens could display your surroundings all over the suit and blend you completely into any location.

Also, with screens that thin.. once they make them bigger and higher resolution, future TVs could be sold rolled up. Apply some double sided tape to your wall, unroll the tv and stick the screen in place. And with gesture control, we wouldn't need a camera built into the TV for smart app features.