Sledgstone

Recreating Neanderthals, possible sasquatch babies.

http://gawker.com/5977130/could-you-be-the-adventurous-woman-scientists-need-to-give-birth-to-the-first-neanderthal-baby-in-30000-years

Are you an adventurous human woman? Adventurous enough to be a surrogate mother for the first Neanderthal baby to be born in 30,000 years?

Harvard geneticist George Church recently told Der Spiegel he's close to developing the necessary technology to clone a Neanderthal, at which point all he'd need is an "adventurous human woman" — einen abenteuerlustigen weiblichen Menschen — to act as a surrogate mother.

It's not out of the question at all. As MIT Technology Review's Susan Young points out, scientists cloned an extinct subspecies of ibex in 2009. It died immediately, sure. But they still cloned it.

What would that entail? According to a 2008 study of a Neanderthal infant skeleton (from which the above image is taken), "the head of the Neanderthal newborn was somewhat longer than that of a human newborn because of its relatively robust face," and Neanderthal women generally had a wider birth canal than human women. Neanderthal birth was simpler than human birth, because Neanderthal infants didn't have to rotate to get to the birth canal, but otherwise the processes were very similar. (Even so, I imagine all but the most adventurous of human women would opt for a C-section in this case.)

We won't have to worry about Planet of the Apes happening.. Neanderthal will rise up and overthrow homo-sapiens! I wonder how long it will take syfy to turn this into a new b-movie. :P

This reminded me of a very interesting special I watched on Discovery called "Bigfoot: The Definitive Guide"

One of the topics they covered was that reported big foot sightings could very well be modern Neanderthals that have survived all these thousands of years and have continued living in seclusion in the forest, woods, mountains, etc.

Sure, the neanderthal dna they will be using is from thousands of years ago and the baby might turn out more human, but still.. it could be the birth of a "Squatch".

btw, if you haven't seen that bigfoot special, I highly recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYb2TgsPrmc

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

LOL. This is an outrage! If they can clone Neanderthals, they can clone Dinosaurs dammit!

Since Neanderthals were out hunted into extinction by the cro-magnon, I highly doubt there will be a rise up.... but I'd leave it to Sci-Fi to ignore history and scientific fact to make a B movie. XD

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I would assume the neanderthal baby would have human rights.. but then again, maybe not. It wouldn't be homo-sapien. What if it turns out neanderthals were stronger and potentially smarter? I'm still thinking squatch baby. What could be interesting is how the neanderthal's immune system works.. maybe it has natural biological abilities that allow it to heal faster or be immune to a variety of diseases. But then again, it could get sick with the flu, the flu mutants into a new super flu and then all of humanity is doomed. So many possibilities. I say, lets make this squatch baby real! ^_^

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg