Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Scientists Create Fertile Eggs From Mouse Stem Cells

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/04/162263750/scientists-create-fertile-eggs-from-mouse-stem-cells

Scientists in Japan report they have created eggs from stem cells in a mammal for the first time. And the researchers went on to breed healthy offspring from the eggs they created.

While the experiments involved mice, the work is being met with excitement — and questions — about doing the same thing for humans someday.

"Wow. That's my general reaction," said Hank Greely, a bioethicist at Stanford University who studies stem-cell science. "Repairing hearts, repairing brains, repairing kidneys, that's all good and important, and we'd all love to be able to do that. But this involves making the next generation."

Scientists obtain the versatile cells from embryos. Embryonic stem cells are controversial because researchers destroy the embryos to get them.

But because these stem cells can morph into any cell in the body, there's always been the possibility they could do something especially profound. They could offer a way to create eggs from anyone at any age. That could change how humans reproduce.

In this week's issue of the journal Science, Mitinori Saitou and colleagues at Kyoto University in Japan report they finally achieved that elusive goal.

"This is actually the first time to make eggs from embryonic stem cells and then produce eggs [that] become healthy offspring," Saitou said.

Moreover, Saitou's team did something potentially even more astonishing: They bred healthy mice from eggs made from another type of stem cell known as induced pluripotent stem cells.

These are cells that look essentially identical to embryonic stem cells. But instead of coming from embryos, they can be made from adult cells, such as skin or blood cells. So they don't have any of the ethical baggage of embryonic cells.

"They're gotten to what was our Holy Grail, which is making eggs," said George Daly, a leading stem-cell scientist at Harvard. "It's like cellular alchemy. I mean, they can turn lead into gold here. They can turn skin cells or blood cells into eggs."

The big question, of course, is whether anyone could do the same thing for people. No one knows for sure. And it would surely take a ton of work.

But John Gearhart, a stem-cell pioneer at the University of Pennsylvania, says mice are close enough to humans to think it's probably doable. "I think this will be worked out in time. I don't have any doubt about it," Gearhart said.

And if he's right, then, at the very least, it would be a huge advance for women who are infertile for medical reasons or who have postponed having babies too long.

"If we can make eggs from stem cells, then the biological clock isn't ticking so much for women," Stanford's Greely said.

But that could be just the beginning. The same team previously made sperm from stem cells. So, for example, the power to create sperm or eggs for anyone would be big news to many gay men and lesbians.

And Greely goes even further into territory charted by the book Brave New World. Combined with other techniques, eggs from stem cells could some day make it much easier for parents to pick babies with blue eyes or blond hair, or a talent for sports or music.

Speculation about the possibilities get even more sci-fi. "Any skin cell that you can find on the edge of a coffee cup theoretically could be induced back to being an egg, and a baby could be produced," said Ronald Green, a bioethicist at Dartmouth University.

"When you think about the commercial possibilities of people selling to infertile people babies produced from George Clooney or Jennifer Aniston, or whatever, you have to worry about it," Green said.

Now, it's important to remember that this may end up being nothing more than speculation. And even if it does prove possible, choices like these are probably decades away.

Even so, David Prentice of the Family Research Council says such research "cheapens all life in a way, not just embryonic or fetal life, but babies and the rest of us when we starting treating life as a manufacturing proposition."

But just the possibility is already stirring intense debate about where the power to use stem cells to make eggs might take us. "It's like any other technology," said Daniel Sulmasy, a professor of medicine and ethics at the University of Chicago. "Whatever we've done in human kind — whether it's discovering fire or creating the wheel — you can use these things to do lots of good and you can use them immoral ways," he says.

And heres a couple more links about the article:

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/05/162372205/from-stem-cells-to-eggs-and-beyond

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/05/162342562/scientists-use-stem-cells-to-create-eggs-in-mice

This is huge. Scientists in the near future should be able to take skin cells off of adult humans, convert them into eggs or sperm and make babies between two people regardless of gender. Two males can have an offspring together, or 2 women. This is also huge for people with infertility problems. New eggs could be made at any stage of a person's life for reproduction. Now.. if someone made a sperm and an egg out of their own cells and was the sole parent of that child.. would that be considered an offspring or a clone of that individual? hmm...

And heres another thing... If fertility clinics start offering this service.. what if someone steals some celebrity skin cells. Someone could shake a celebrity's hand, get accidentally scraped by their nails and boom.. skin cells into celebrity baby! Child support? celebrity scandal magazines? Clone Justin Beiber and sign the kid up as a disney star at an early age for money. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

My following thoughts are....

All the kids that will come from discarded tattoos.... Okay probably not but still this plus the non scarring skin return thread adds little to no plausibility to that thought.

Stephen Colbert's Eggs!.... And based on past episodes he might be pregnant because as he stated.... he hasn't had his period.... well... it was funny at the time....

I find it neat that same sex couples can have there own kids without having to worry about whether or not they would be allowed to adopt a child.

While it is neat that people with infertility problems could finally be fertile it'll be more interesting if they could find a way for infertile people to be fertile without all this hassle. But then again by the time they do that the bigger news might be how sex changes are then actual sex changes.

Why does "David Prentice of the Family Research Council" sound like some religious nutter of a christian funded organization?

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Click the link for the rest of the article. Its quite interesting. It'll be the first time stem cells will be injected into brain dead people. If this actually works, these people could be brought back.. but would they still be the same people after technically being dead? Of course conspiracy theorists are already predicting the zombie apocalypse will happen because of this.
      http://www.iflscience.com/brain/biotech-company-use-stem-cells-reactivate-brains-dead

• By Sledgstone
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

Click the link to read the rest of the story..

I don't think I'd want to eat that... but I beat its better quality meat than what we get at Taco Bell and McDonalds. This could be the future of meat production in the future, but I won't be pleased until they can grow a full sirloin steak with perfect fat marbling... And then eventually someone will make Star Trek TNG replicators and thats when I'll become obese... I'll sit in front of that thing and order endless buckets of KFC with mashed potatoes and gravy.
    • By Sledgstone
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8257223/Mammoth-could-be-reborn-in-four-years.html
      Imagine going to a zoo to check out a woolly mammoth.. that would be pretty cool.. but not as cool as raptors.
    • By Sledgstone
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/05/0511_050511_robots.html
      They can only reproduce themselves in a solution... now if only they can upgrade these things to take any material and break its atomic structure down to that solution they need to reproduce.. then we'll be screwed as a species and overwhelmed with replicator robots that'll eventually evolve on their own.