Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Mammalian Surprise: African Mouse Can Regrow Skin

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/26/161817096/mammalian-surprise-african-mouse-can-regrow-skin

Scientists have discovered that a mouse found in Africa can lose large patches of skin and then grow it back without scarring, perhaps as a way of escaping the clutches of a predator.

The finding challenges the conventional view that mammals have an extremely limited ability to replace injured body parts. There are lizards that can regrow lost tails, salamanders that can replace amputated legs, and fish that can generate new fins, but humans and other mammals generally patch up wounds with scar tissue.

That's why Ashley Seifert, a biologist who studies regeneration at the University of Florida, was skeptical when he was at a social get-together and an ecologist told him about some rodents at a research site in Kenya.

"He told me there were these animals, that, when captured by mammalogists, would shed their skin and go taking off into the wild," says Seifert. "You know, when I heard that, I thought he was sort of joking and that it couldn't have been a behavior like that."

Then, a few months later, someone who worked at the Kenya research site sent him a picture of a mouse he had caught in a trap.

"He was holding it in one hand. And there was the piece of skin which had just sort of come off its back, sitting on his leg, and he took a picture of that too," recalls Seifert.

So Seifert flew to Kenya, put traps on some rocky outcroppings and eventually caught some of these brownish-gray mice, called African spiny mice.

"Probably one of the first one or two that I handled, he didn't like being held and sort of moved his body backwards, pushed off with one of his limbs, and that caused a huge tear in his back," recalls Seifert, who realized that the mice really did have incredibly weak skin that tore easily.

And what's more, their skin had an incredible ability to heal. Instead of big scars, Seifert says these mice generate a near-perfect replacement of the original skin, complete with new hair. What's more, when holes are punched into their ears, these mice can re-create the missing hair, skin and cartilage.

In a report in the journal Nature, he and his colleagues describe the cellular process that these mice use to repair wounds. Seifert says that it's similar in some ways to the process that occurs when salamanders regrow limbs.

"My goal, really, is to build on this research and begin to look at some of the underlying mechanisms which are permitting this to occur," says Seifert, who hopes the work could lead to new therapies to allow humans to regenerate tissue in new ways.

Other researchers say that what these African spiny mice can do is just amazing. Voot Yin, a biologist who studies organ regeneration in zebra fish at the Mount Desert Island Biological Lab in Maine, says that traditionally, the field has assumed that adult mammals are lousy at regeneration.

"And obviously, this work showing that you can lose up to 50, 60 percent of your skin and yet heal properly and regenerate all of the missing structures is a remarkable observation," says Yin.

Yin says by studying these mice and other animals to find the common genetic circuits that allow regeneration to occur, scientists could potentially find new ways to heal wounds without scarring.

Holy crap.. the mice can discard their skin and regrow it. :wtf: You'd think it'd be a bloody mess or something.. eww..

Imagine the possibilities if they can figure out what genetics allow the mice to do this and then apply it to humans. Burn victims could regrow their own skin, including hair and cartilage. It could probably regrow noses and ears.. I would think it could even be a way to regrow hair on balding people.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

As amazing as it sounds it'll probably be used more by people who no longer want their tattoos but still want to show them off & crazy chicks who freak out over wrinkles....

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      For only $150 the Hori’s Tactical Assault Commander (TAC) Pro will give everyone on ps4 a huge advantage with mouse and keyboard controls. According to the box art of the product it is officially licensed by Sony and it's being sold at Gamestop and amazon. But if this is actually officially licensed then why doesn't Sony just allow keyboard and mouse input directly to the console so people don't have to pay $150?
      http://kotaku.com/hori-tactical-assault-commander-pro-review-a-modest-mo-1788600202
    • By Sledgstone
      The updated skin now has a speed option. This little rocket in the image will allow you to switch between normal and performance modes. Performance mode will disable the slider at the top of the articles and strip away some other settings. This will be good for anyone running an older computer / windows xp, or if you just want it to load faster on any system.

Also, the site may seem a bit sluggish for the next couple days as I had to clear all the caches after the upgrade. Once the caches build back up, the speed will improve.
    • By Sledgstone
      The new "Light" theme is up! As of this post, all the old themes have been removed and the "Perfect Dark" theme has been renamed to just plain "Dark" because I am done with the different variations I was testing out. The light theme has a few issues with it at the moment, but it will be getting an update in about a week. Enjoy!
    • By Sledgstone
      The new "Light" theme is up! As of this post, all the old themes have been removed and the "Perfect Dark" theme has been renamed to just plain "Dark" because I am done with the different variations I was testing out. The light theme has a few issues with it at the moment, but it will be getting an update in about a week. Enjoy!
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone
      This is our new default theme. Welcome to the new Ancient Clan! You can find the new theme by choosing it at the bottom left corner of your screen.