Sign in to follow this  
Myk JL

Need Help Building PC For Skyrim

So over 3 years later & I'm finally planning on building a PC for Skyrim. (In your face me from May 2009!)

Recommended:

Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU

Memory: 4GB System RAM

Video Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher)

Minimum:

HDD Space: 6GB free HDD Space

Sound: DirectX compatible sound card

Beyond that I don't know what Case, Power Supply, Motherboard, or Processor Fan to buy. Would these parts also say what they require. Would it still need the sound card if I'm going with the recommended video card.

And then there's the other stuff I want it to have beyond Skyrim.

I want it to have

HDD: 2 TB

Monitor: I want to plug it into a 1080P TV or Monitor if I can plug in my PS3 into it also.

Format: Blu Ray / DVD (Basically the same thing my PS3 is capable of)

Edited by Myk JL
The list feature is messed up.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I haven't built a system in over 8 or 9 years so I wont be of any help to you. Aside from building a pc, you could always go to a website like dell.com, select a pc and then choose all the upgrades you want. And some sites will let you select all your individual components and then you could pay them the extra fee to assemble it and test it themselves. I've bought a system from a site called mwave.com before.. years ago.. heres a link to their testing and assembly info:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?SCriteria=assemtest

out of the huge checklist of stuff they do, it includes:

If a incorrect item is purchased that will not work in the system, the customer will be notified to solve the issue with either replacing the item with one that will work, or removing it from the order completely.
But for $80 to assemble the computer and test it for you, you could always put that money into an already prebuilt upgraded pc instead.

Oh, and yes you may or may not need a sound card. Many motherboards have integrated sound and integrated video, but if you want it hooked up to a good surround sound system, then opt for a better sound card. Just like most of the integrated video is lacking for gaming, you'd want to opt for a better video card.

Edited by Sledgstone
*added a little more info*

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Definatly want a seperate video card. As for sound, I haven't had a seperate sound card since.....um....my second build? Something like that. ^_^; I've found the onboard sound works just fine for my speakers and headphones, though I don't have any kind of speciality system.

For the motherboard, look at what's available for your chosen CPU. There doesn't seem to be much difference between Intel and AMD performance-wise. I've got an AMD Athalon II X4 and it runs Skyrim just fine. So any of the current CPUs should have no issues. Video is probally more important. I personally have had good luck with NVidia GeForce. I usually get the next-to newest one at the time, and it works great for everything I do, both games and artwise.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg