Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

vBulletin 5 Connect (we will not be using it)

So... vBulletin finally released vb 4.2 a few months ago and it was finally a fully stable version with many bugs fixed.. so I was going to finally upgrade AC to the newest version after what, 3 years? But just as I'm about to do the work on a few themes and get the ball moving, I see where they announced "vBulletin 5 Connect" and they want people to pre-order it now even tho its in beta and it will eventually be a useable stable product. It took them 3 years to make vb4 a fully stable product, which they will now stop improving because all development will go towards the new version 5. Check out the new demo of vb5:

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

http://www.vbulletin.com/learn-more/

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/blogs

This looks like shit to me.

Seeing as vb 3.x will no longer be getting security upgrades in the near future, we will switch off of this software in the next 6+ months. The entire vbulletin fiasco from before and our failed upgrade that worked like crap a couple years ago really made me dislike this forum software. Its also made me very lazy about even using my own site because of my lack of enthusiasm for a hobby I used to enjoy immensely.

Ever since vbulletin sold out to a large corporation with shareholders, its all been about profit first and customers last. They will not get any more of our money.

We will most likely switch over to invision power board and focus on using its core products as opposed to using a variety of mods that need their own security patches and upgrades. We might also switch over to a free forum software like phpbb or smf, probably not, but its all up in the air right now. I don't want to shut down our small community as its been a fun time over the many years. But over the past 3 years its really become quite dead as we can all see. I think once I switch us off of vbulletin, I'll have a renewed interest in AC and maybe others will too. So don't expect a large upgrade any time soon. It'll probably happen sometime after tax season next year. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this and let you all know.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Without this place I would barely be on any forums on a daily basis. (despite the fact I don't post on a daily basis.) But the other 2 forums I use I don't even really use beyond leaving a comment then leaving. I'm just not in the mood to socialize much elsewhere.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I was about to go

picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=373

Yes AC has been dead sadly for a long time. Sometimes I go on a posting spree, only too see 1-2 replies if any. Sad... Funny how as time goes on and people grow older, free time just doesn't exist anymore. I remember spending almost all day on this site as a teenager. Many of our original staple members are gone completely. Of course the spark the forum was based on during our anime crazed years has faded, and what few of us remain just talk about every day things mostly... yeah we still talk about anime a little... but the forum has evolved into something different. I guess its a more serious tone... gone are the inside jokes, the laughter, and those daily everyday occurrences you could always count on. Maybe we all share you're sentiment, the change could spark a new interest for everyone. AC has never been about the themes, emoticons, gimmicks, or the forum software, its always been about the community that posts on it. Without that, AC is nothing.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

there are plenty of inside jokes DX, you're just not looking hard enough...XD

I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but i still pop in and check things out, and I would hate to see AC go away entirely.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

The lack of posts indicate otherwise. :P I'm talking about a lot of things inside jokes and old traditions like:

Orangkrieg (aka pelt with oranges)

GANFOBYGDO!

The "beat up sledge while he's not on the forum" posts

Crans

*GLOMP*

Chibi Eppy rape

Ling vs. Anti-Ling (sp?)

Forum Wars (AC v. GT v. AF v. AP)

Man I wish i could remember them all. lol

Funny how as time goes on and people grow older, free time just doesn't exist anymore. I remember spending almost all day on this site as a teenager.

I'd spend all my free time on AC back in the day too. Nowadays, I spend my free time playing video games, watching tv, etc. I used to spend days on end working on forum upgrades, new modifications, extra features, replying to every single post, etc.. Its not that I don't have the time to do that anymore, its just that I'd rather spend my time doing other things. Same with the hosting we used to do and the larger servers we ran that took hours to initially setup. Screw all that now. I want to enjoy my internet time instead of using it to work on side projects. Now I just want a forum software thats all one program and I don't have to worry about having 20 different mods that I have to install to get the functionality that I want. As long as the forum is secure and it works with decent features and minimum maintenance I'll be pleased. vBulletin burned me out. I spent hours working on themes and mods on vb4 all for it to turn out like shit. It became such a waste of time that I lost all interest in working on improving the forums. I just want to be able to get online, not see a bunch of spam, know everything is secure and enjoy AC again. :\

The lack of posts indicate otherwise. :P I'm talking about a lot of things inside jokes and old traditions like:

Orangkrieg (aka pelt with oranges)

GANFOBYGDO!

The "beat up sledge while he's not on the forum" posts

Crans

*GLOMP*

Chibi Eppy rape

Ling vs. Anti-Ling (sp?)

Forum Wars (AC v. GT v. AF v. AP)

Man I wish i could remember them all. lol

lmao. X'D I remember it was mostly on thursday nights when I played on a dartball league. I'd come back home around 10 pm at night just to see multiple threads of me getting my virtual ass beat. :spit:

The forum wars depended on other forums, of which, there sadly are few left that actually have people posting on them. Blah.

And I still don't know what GANFOBYGDO! means....*sheepish look*....

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

lmao. X'D I remember it was mostly on thursday nights when I played on a dartball league. I'd come back home around 10 pm at night just to see multiple threads of me getting my virtual ass beat. :spit:

Yes! Dartball night! there would be like a post 23 pages long of us just throwing every anime attack, or made up assault upon you! X'D some people would try to defend your defenseless virtual corpse, but to no avail! X'D X'D

The forum wars depended on other forums, of which, there sadly are few left that actually have people posting on them. Blah.

Yes indeed. Forums where I spent hours raiding their member lists, emailing them all to come visit AC! X'D Gundam Forum (the original and its predecessor Anime Forum) and Gundam Tsunami (and its semi spin off AP) to be specific.. along with a bunch of others I never frequented before I joined AC... Oh the old days before google when Web Crawler was the king of search engines X'D. The forums were our Facebook back then. haha

Just don't take it down for good. I pop on here for a bit too, like DX I post on a few topics in 1 shot, and I realize there's probably 5/10 handful of us who regularly post like that. I think it's worth keeping, AC is my girlfriend and I'm close to reaching the Top 10 posters list OKAY!?!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Just don't take it down for good. I pop on here for a bit too, like DX I post on a few topics in 1 shot, and I realize there's probably 5/10 handful of us who regularly post like that. I think it's worth keeping, AC is my girlfriend and I'm close to reaching the Top 10 posters list OKAY!?!

The real reason GG doesn't want this place to disappear :P

Yes indeed. Forums where I spent hours raiding their member lists, emailing them all to come visit AC! X'D Gundam Forum (the original and its predecessor Anime Forum) and Gundam Tsunami (and its semi spin off AP) to be specific.. along with a bunch of others I never frequented before I joined AC... Oh the old days before google when Web Crawler was the king of search engines X'D. The forums were our Facebook back then. haha

Oh dear lord I remember those places, that was way back in the day (and I was a member/frequent poster on all of them). If fact I think AF was where Cloud kidnapped me from and brought me over (so long ago, don't really remember anymore).

Sadly I'm more of a lurker these days, I'm usually here 4-5 times a day but I just don't have much to say anymore (plus I have weird hours, working overnights and whatnot). Maybe a switch is what AC needs to get people posting again, that or bring out the gas and chibi-eppy's to force people back. Those last 2 are just suggestions, you really don't have to take them seriously (for gods sake do not let the chibi's free).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Those damn chibis were devastating to people's virginity. :nod:

But what if new forum software ends up deleting all old posts!? Then we'd all start back at zero post count and your goal of getting to the top 10 list would have been in vain.. O_O

lol. j/k. :P

then get archiving lovely :psycho:

yes yes we've all grown up so much

fucking A life beats ya down

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers