DeathscytheX

Prometheus

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/prometheus/

[ame]

[/ame]

Interesting trailer... unless you are a big fan, and noticed that structure from the first Alien film, you'd probably not realize its an Alien prequel.... interesting marketing.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

Linking the International Trailer on here because the local one gives away more than this in terms of the plot towards the end of the flick I think.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGW0LtO59-E[/ame]

Most anticipated movie of 2012. Wait, there's also The Dark Knight Rises, but Alien <3

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Got there at 10:30 and still didn't get the best seats. Frakkin frustrating. Anyway we were at the back (the good) to the left (the bad) but this was Lincoln Center's IMAX, so huge it didn't matter. Damien should be shot. Visually, awesome landscapes and sets. Creepy feeling of Alien = devoid of = TOTAL bummer. Definitely flawed. I was psyching myself that the movie would scare me and I was going to look away, etc. but after the movie I was relieved in a bad way that it didn't scare me - hence my disappointment. Score isn't dark enough, main theme sounds ... happy. Going to watch it again. This's coming from me who's a HUGE Alien fan, so much so that it's in my top 3/ 5 Sci-Fi/ Horro movies.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

This was an okay but overall dull movie.

It never explains why the Human Like Being kills itself in the beginning. Or why the android killed off one of the main characters then tried to force the other to have a pregnancy. The movie just changes once the old guy wakes up. Then it changes again when a different Human Like Being plans to attack Earth. And one of the supposedly main villains was just a bitch who I guess was killed for being a bitch.

If you feel the need to waste money on an okay movie with aliens it might as well be MIB3. Or better yet save your money.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Haven't seen it yet, but will prolly dl it soon. My friends who are huge fans of the alien universe really liked this. They told me that someone who only knows the alien movies, who wants to see aliens like that, will be dissapointed. That it's different aliens.

I always go into movies expecting to be underwhelmed. I know that the movie can never be as good as I imagined it might be.

The watersprite that lives underground like a mole.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was an okay but overall dull movie.

It never explains why the Human Like Being kills itself in the beginning. Or why the android killed off one of the main characters then tried to force the other to have a pregnancy. The movie just changes once the old guy wakes up. Then it changes again when a different Human Like Being plans to attack Earth. And one of the supposedly main villains was just a bitch who I guess was killed for being a bitch.

If you expected an Aliens sort of film, you shouldn't have expected it from Ridley heh. But yeah, the movie has its flaws.

Regarding your questions -

The Engineer at the beginning drinks the golden-black liquid that breaks up his DNA and he sort of is the sacrifice for kick-starting life in that barren planet. You see the planet having no animal life through the opening sequences leading up to the scene. He's also credited in the credits as the Sacrifice Engineer and it follows the theme for the Prometheus mythology.

Which main character did David kill off?

I gotta run, will edit my post later to reply in depth.

The Engineer at the beginning drinks the golden-black liquid that breaks up his DNA and he sort of is the sacrifice for kick-starting life in that barren planet. You see the planet having no animal life through the opening sequences leading up to the scene. He's also credited in the credits as the Sacrifice Engineer and it follows the theme for the Prometheus mythology.

Which main character did David kill off?

The one he served Vodka to.

Even if this wasn't a so called Alien prequel it still would have had its flaws.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I thought it was a remarkable film. Could have been better, but I still thought it was done very well.

Whether he intended for him to die is unknown, but he infected him purposely to impregnate her. Perhaps for the dangerously misguided scientific research Weyland Industries is notorious for. After all, it was because of that act that the giant facehugger was born to spawn the first xenomorph inside the space jockey. Maybe its just me, but I tend to miss films that left things open for interpretation... sometimes not being spoon fed answers works wonders for a film... although many have botched it in the past.

Ok to get to your other questions -

Or why the android killed off one of the main characters then tried to force the other to have a pregnancy. Then it changes again when a different Human Like Being plans to attack Earth. And one of the supposedly main villains was just a bitch who I guess was killed for being a bitch.

1. David infects Holloway out of curiosity, to find out what would happen to him if infected by the black goo. He didn't know Holloway and Shaw were going to have sex.

2. The different human aka the Engineer? Well, the Engineer's were originally Earth-bound to actually deliver the payload and to destroy life on Earth. Unfortunately for them - shit went wrong, they couldn't achieve that (Hologram's evidence of it and also, when they recover the decapitated head Shaw indicates there were signs of change on a cellular level plus the black goo runs out of it's pores when they try to tweak it - so the Engineer's running away were scared of being infected by the goo. The ones infected were piled together with things busted outta them). Now, fast-forward - David and the humans go to wake the sleeping Engineer. He's surprised to see the things he was originally sent off to terminate have found their way here and he freaks out.

3. I'm guessing you mean Vickers? She's just a cold character who's not really a villian. I loved the way she died by the way, to me it was realistic and that whole crashing scene was pretty well done.

Gimme more questions! This is fun!

Edited by Godgrave

OK to get to your other questions -

1. David infects Holloway out of curiosity, to find out what would happen to him if infected by the black goo. He didn't know Holloway and Shaw were going to have sex.
  2. The different human aka the Engineer? Well, the Engineer's were originally Earth-bound to actually deliver the payload and to destroy life on Earth. Unfortunately for them - shit went wrong, they couldn't achieve that (Hologram's evidence of it and also, when they recover the decapitated head Shaw indicates there were signs of change on a cellular level plus the black goo runs out of it's pores when they try to tweak it - so the Engineer's running away were scared of being infected by the goo. The ones infected were piled together with things busted outta them). Now, fast-forward - David and the humans go to wake the sleeping Engineer. He's surprised to see the things he was originally sent off to terminate have found their way here and he freaks out.
  3. I'm guessing you mean Vickers? She's just a cold character who's not really a villain. I loved the way she died by the way, to me it was realistic and that whole crashing scene was pretty well done.

Gimme more questions! This is fun! How does it make any sense that the movie pretends to disprove Evolution (Darwinism) then cling onto christianity even when that's considered wrong?

How does it make any sense that the movie pretends to disprove Evolution (Darwinism) then cling onto christianity even when that's considered wrong?

They aren't clinging onto Christianity at all, in fact it's quite the opposite.

If anything, the movie shows that Man was not made by a divine God. An Engineer breaks down his DNA with the help of the black goo and his DNA is what's in the human race, an identical match. This's a big FU to Catholics. Yes, it's science fiction and in its story/ universe, Darwanism doesn't exist or that's what we're led to believe.

I dont get why they did not have a team off the worlds greatest minds and full military commando unit and a dozen androids.

It was a research expedition. Bringing in the cavalry would raise doubts in the rest of the crew's mind aka the scientists, etc.

Weyland needed to find out how to extend his life by hoping to meet the Engineer. He might have had limited resources in terms of how many people the ship could board perhaps? So it'd make sense to have a bunch of scientists instead.

Edited by Godgrave

How does it make any sense that the movie pretends to disprove Evolution (Darwinism) then cling onto christianity even when that's considered wrong?

Huh?

I fail to see how is supported either. Shaw was scrutinized more than once for holding on to her faith after all the events that had taken place.

Now that I think about it more, It was a lot to do with a theme of destruction precedes creation, to quote David near the end of the film. He read the hieroglyphs but never really told anyone what they said or meant. He brought the pod back to the ship with the black liquid. He knew everything about Shaw, including that she couldn't conceive. He infected Holloway destroying him an creating life within Shaw who was suppose to be baron. The Alien at the beginning destroyed himself to create life... and they were going back to destroy and recreate once again. One mention of heaven and a cross necklace didn't really cling to Christianity IMO.

The movie was interesting, but it was not what I was expecting.

If the alien sacrificed himself to create life on the planet, then why would they want to go back there to then destroy all life there.. It would make more sense if they released the black goo to destroy all life on the planet to prepare it for their species to come in and colonize it. But the multiple cave paintings indicated that the primitive ppl worshiped them.

At one point it was mentioned that the planet was most likely an outpost/military installation and not the alien's homeworld. It makes me wonder why these alien's have all this black goo.. The only thing I can think is that maybe the Engineer's homeworld is ravaged and was destroyed and maybe the remaining engineers were on this planet trying to recreate their species with the black goo.

Lets say those planets that were shown in the giant 3D map were all planets suitable for their species.. but since theres not many of them left, they make the black goo as a way to seed these planets. So, they seed the planets, go into hibernation, wake up in a couple thousand years to see what they made, then keep checking back to see if the resulting species they created was a recreation of themselves. If it isn't, like the case with humans, go to the planet, wipe them out and try again.

That fits into the religion aspect too, in that there is creation, then destruction and then creation again.. It also goes into other god theories too. God made man in his likeness = The engineers based the new life on these planets on their own dna, so the emerging dominate species would result in a humanoid species. And that makes me think the sacrificing engineer showed up during dinosaur times, and the black goo would have killed off the dinosaurs and started the evolution of man.. if not then there should have been engineer based dinosaurs. O_O

Anyway, another theory I remember is that the reason of life is that it is all a scientific experiment done by god. God, being an immortal being and the embodiment of the universe wanted to know how he came into existence. So he created planets and sparked life in them.. and is sitting back watching evolution unfold until life eventually evolves into what he is. And then he'd know the answer as to how he came into existence as well.

And that kind of matches up with what I said above about this movie. The engineers are maybe trying to recreate themselves in the same kind of experiment.

I really didn't understand why that woman kept clinging onto her cross tho. O_O I'd have rather have seen a much more scientific approach done in this movie as opposed to just ppl wanting to meet their makers and get some answers.

And why didn't they have a larger crew? It looked like there were extra medical staff with the old man, but there was such a small crew that when 2 of their guys are alone in alien ruins with a crap ton of bodies everywhere and a possible life sign that kept popping up, the captain is all cool about it and tells them 'see ya in the morning, i'm going to go get laid and leave no one here to monitor your status' wtf.

Anyway.. instead of all this creationism/engineer stuff, I'd have rather have seen an actual Aliens movie with Aliens in it. :\

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Anyway.. instead of all this creationism/engineer stuff, I'd have rather have seen an actual Aliens movie with Aliens in it. :\

Thats why Ridley Scott was so secretive about the plot, and denied that it had anything to do with aliens for the longest time during production, and even when it was known that it was tied to the Alien universe, he still tried to explain that it was a very loose connection, I think the secret ending was only put in there to somewhat appease the flock of Alien fans that went to the movies wanting to see an new Alien movie. That being said, he should have never put the iconic Alien slime on someones fingers scene when David was fiddling with the walls before the holograms appeared. lol

If the alien sacrificed himself to create life on the planet, then why would they want to go back there to then destroy all life there.. It would make more sense if they released the black goo to destroy all life on the planet to prepare it for their species to come in and colonize it. But the multiple cave paintings indicated that the primitive ppl worshiped them.

That one Engineer did sacrifice his life to kick-start life in the planet at the beginning. It's said and hinted in the movie that there was another Engineer that visited Earth 2000 years ago (aka Jesus) and things didn't look good - in the sense what he saw. So that's when they set out to kill the planet to hit the re-set button on humanity but shit went wrong before they could leave (refer to the Hologram). That's why when they wake the Engineer, he's in shock "Oh crap, these humans were supposed to be killed/ dead, I woke up in the ship? Wait, how much time has passed. Why are they standing in front of me?". It is speculative by a lot of scientists that humans of old would worship anything they wouldn't understand by calling them Gods if they were an advanced race.

At one point it was mentioned that the planet was most likely an outpost/military installation and not the alien's homeworld. It makes me wonder why these alien's have all this black goo.. The only thing I can think is that maybe the Engineer's homeworld is ravaged and was destroyed and maybe the remaining engineers were on this planet trying to recreate their species with the black goo.

Yep, this is hinted as an outpost. The Derelict towards the end left the planet to go towards their home world, which's where the sequel may take place/ if not in space. There's no clue about the Engineer's world being destroyed but it would make sense to have such a powerful bioweapon away from their own planet or evil doers on the planet. Have it someplace secret and far away so you don't expose yourself to the dangers of the black goo - very smart.

Lets say those planets that were shown in the giant 3D map were all planets suitable for their species.. but since theres not many of them left, they make the black goo as a way to seed these planets. So, they seed the planets, go into hibernation, wake up in a couple thousand years to see what they made, then keep checking back to see if the resulting species they created was a recreation of themselves. If it isn't, like the case with humans, go to the planet, wipe them out and try again.

It's more like what have our children evolved to become? Wars? That's not a good picture. More than a carbon replication of themselves, it's I think more to do with what they did with the chance they got to evolve as a race.

Anyway, another theory I remember is that the reason of life is that it is all a scientific experiment done by god. God, being an immortal being and the embodiment of the universe wanted to know how he came into existence. So he created planets and sparked life in them.. and is sitting back watching evolution unfold until life eventually evolves into what he is. And then he'd know the answer as to how he came into existence as well.

There you go ^_^.

And that kind of matches up with what I said above about this movie. The engineers are maybe trying to recreate themselves in the same kind of experiment.

Don't think they wanted a carbon copy of themselves though.

I really didn't understand why that woman kept clinging onto her cross tho. O_O I'd have rather have seen a much more scientific approach done in this movie as opposed to just ppl wanting to meet their makers and get some answers.

It's a lot of things, but yeah you hit the nail on an aspect. It's more like you believe in a God. Then you see that you came from an another species rather than a God creating you. So you still cling to the hope that God will make things better when shit goes wrong. It's like Hey I gotta go to church cos I need to pass my exams, it's convenient to pray to ask for good things to happen or to come out of a situation because it gives you hope?

And why didn't they have a larger crew? It looked like there were extra medical staff with the old man, but there was such a small crew that when 2 of their guys are alone in alien ruins with a crap ton of bodies everywhere and a possible life sign that kept popping up, the captain is all cool about it and tells them 'see ya in the morning, i'm going to go get laid and leave no one here to monitor your status' wtf.

Scientific expedition. Resources on the ship are scarce. We don't have THAT technology yet. Weyland used A LOT OF MONEY to make this ship highly advanced.