Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

AMD breaks Guinness World Record for fastest processor frequency at 8.429 gigahertz

http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/13/amd-breaks-guinness-world-record-for-fastest-processor-frequency-at-8-429-gigahertz/

Advanced Micro Devices announced today that it has broken the world record for the fastest clock speed for a PC microprocessor. The new 8-core AMD FX desktop processor can be overclocked (or run beyond the usual specifications) to as much as 8.429 gigahertz.

While that’s impressive, it isn’t really practical. Most of the AMD chips will run at much slower speeds, and the new world record simply means that, with expensive cooling power, AMD’s enthusiast fans have been able to coax one chip to run that fast.

Still, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD should get a lot of marketing mileage out of that fact that its 8-core chips, code-named Bulldozer, can operate at record-breaking speeds. The AMD FX processor can be targeted at gamers who love extreme 3D graphics on multiple displays.

The chip is set to debut in the fourth quarter of 2011. The new record was set on Aug. 31 in Austin, Texas by Team AMD FX, a group of overclocking enthusiasts. The previous record was 8.308 gigahertz. Overclocking is a specialty skill where technical experts get chips to run at higher than normal speeds without melting down.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

AMD's planning to release some better chips (better than the 8 core FX series) in Feb/March of 2012 that they haven't publicly announced yet. A relative of mine has been working on the newer chips and says they're pretty crazy. I have doubts they'll actually be released in Feb though. They just released the FX series after all. I'm still pretty excited to see AMD step up their game again.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

That's why AMD is better in my opinion. Sure Intel's chips might currently be the fastest on the market but AMD's have no restrictions and are easy to over clock and mess with. It's what they're famous for. AMD would have to be crazy to pull a stunt Intel and lock their chips down.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^