Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Facebook in Privacy Breach

link

Many of the most popular applications, or "apps," on the social-networking site Facebook Inc. have been transmitting identifying information—in effect, providing access to people's names and, in some cases, their friends' names—to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companies, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found.

The issue affects tens of millions of Facebook app users, including people who set their profiles to Facebook's strictest privacy settings. The practice breaks Facebook's rules, and renews questions about its ability to keep identifiable information about its users' activities secure.

"Apps" are pieces of software that let Facebook's 500 million users play games or share common interests with one another. The Journal found that all of the 10 most popular apps on Facebook were transmitting users' IDs to outside companies.

The apps, ranked by research company Inside Network Inc. (based on monthly users), include Zynga Game Network Inc.'s FarmVille, with 59 million users, and Texas HoldEm Poker and FrontierVille. Three of the top 10 apps, including FarmVille, also have been transmitting personal information about a user's friends to outside companies.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I play two games because they're both short games that don't require constant maintainece....so i can play them when i'm bored at work...well, i could...they changed the flash player recently, so it's a huge lag on my work computer...blah....

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I was really into the FB games but someone hacked my account and was sending spam and weird shit out daily. So I had to shut down my account and delete all the apps. Now I have no issues :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

Sign in to follow this