Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Forums and Chatbox upgraded

Can I has the old new forum updatez puhlleeaze *fixes broken tooth from being hit with Oranges*

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

well im not sure type in marriland forum in google and go to the first one that shows up and their should be a place their called link to site or sumthin like that then at the top it says pokemon site and their u go 100 of pokemon forums to choose from..[/url]

Edited by DeathscytheX
SPAM

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      Some answers to important licensing questions - vBulletin Community Forum
      With so many vbulletin customers bitching about the possibility of vBulletin charging for an upgrade to the vb 4 code, vbulletin has finally announced that they will not charge for the upgrade... but they will be implementing new license terms.. with their current terms they were obligated to not charge for a new major version upgrade. But my guess is that the new terms will allow them to make as much money as possible by screwing people over on future upgrades.
      The f*cking vbulletin suite upgrade better be reasonably priced. *shakes fist at vb*
    • By Sledgstone
      *blogging my VB vs. IPB crap for future reference*
      The vbulletin team announced that vBulletin 4.0 would come out by the end of June 2009. It is October 14th today and with an announcement like this and a new website, you would think vbulletin 4.0 has finally been released! But no! It is still in alpha testing, there is no demo available and I have been given the opportunity to purchase the upgrade to the suite for the $130 discount for only 16-17 more days. And they still have not announced when the vb 4.0 version will even come out.
      And even though I bought the blog add-on for $50 a year ago, I get the same discount price as someone who only owns just the forum license. wtf.
      When my license support renewal is up, which last year would have costed me $40 for updates, will now cost me $195 for the new license if I haven't paid the $130 or more by then to download vbulletin 4.0 which may still not be out by then considering they are 4 months behind schedule with no product.
      So. We will probably continue running vb 3.8 until we find another alternative or vbulletin changes their pricing structure (which I'm sure they won't). I wouldn't mind paying for new forum software, we've spent plenty on vb over the years with renewal costs and one time purchases. But I can't justify staying with the company because of the part I have put in bold above.
      If we use just the forums and pay the initial upgrade price of $195 or so in january and switch to a free blog system because the version we have won't be compatible with vb 4.0... we'll still be stuck with another issue. Once vb 5.0 comes out (which should be 12-18 months according to a staff member), we'll have to buy a brand new vbulletin license for version 5 at the full price of another $195. And assuming a new major release then comes out every 1 or 2 years, it'll be hundreds of dollars every year or two just to keep using this software that still doesn't do everything I want it to do.
      I'm really starting to hate vbulletin. If I want to stay with this forum software, the only way I'll save money is by paying the cheaper upgrade cost of $130 which gives me the entire suite, but I only have 16 days to make my decision or pay $200 in January and only get the forum software.
      WTF!
      Anyone have any forum or blog recommendations? I was thinking about invision power board, but they're in the process of releasing a new cms like system and I don't know if that will be bundled in with their current suite. But even ipb is $250 for the suite with $60 renewal costs. But even that price is better than the new vbulletin price structure. Apparently, I have to make a decision within 16 days. *kicks vB in the balls*
    • By Sledgstone
      The improvements they are making to IPB look really great. Some of the highlights for me:
      http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-9537-ips-40-editor-part-1-content/
      Embeds will always work. Now that is a huge difference.
      http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-9538-ips-40-editor-part-2-uploads/
      Drag and drop images right into the editor. I've been waiting for this feature. No more having to click attach and then navigate to the right folder where your image is.. just drag it right into the editor.
      http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-9539-ips-40-editor-part-3-customisation-and-bbcode/
      This is a big change and I hope they pull it off correctly. All our custom bbcodes will be negated. But the only custom bbcode we actually use is the spoiler tag, which will now be a default feature. All other custom bbcodes will now have to be created as CKEditor plugins.. but there are already a lot of ckeditor plugins available. So I could technically add a variety of new editor features.
      http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/388306-ips-40-editor-part-4-special-features/
      Very very nice. I like this.
      Good! No more having to click the load saved content option. Simplifying this will make the auto save much better.
      Oh! and the editor will now be fully skin-able! The editor won't have to be glaring white on a dark theme anymore.
      Also, the current skins that we use are going to be upgraded for IPB 4.0. We won't have to change the entire look of the site.
    • By Sledgstone
      I haven't liked vBulletin for some time now and mostly put that forum software behind me except for the occasional jab about how bad their software is. I came across this interesting update from PC Gamer the other day... with a part that I emphasized:
      http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/26/why-forums-and-comments-are-still-offline/
      http://mos.futurenet.com/forum/
      I don't visit PC Gamer's website, so I'm not certain what version of vB they were using, but this is pretty huge. The took all of their entire network's vBulletin powered forums offline because it was exploited.
      Well PC Gamer, I suggest you switch to Invision Power.
      vBulletin has really gone downhill and I'm glad we stopped using their software when we did.
    • By Sledgstone
      At some point we'll be at new data center.. I'm not entirely certain when it'll happen. Probably within the next couple days. The old server was in NJ, this server will be in MD. We might get a bit faster load times. The site will not go down and there is no planned maintenance. In fact everything is being transferred live with no down time. I've also been meaning to optimize AC for increased performance, load times, etc. because this site could potentially be significantly faster if I put some effort into troubleshooting a couple things.. but I'm holding off on doing that until we upgrade to IPB4 sometime later this year.