Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Bionic Feet helps Cat walk again

http://kotaku.com/5572324/bionic-cat-walks-on-metal-feet

Vcy78rnDKiQ

After losing his back feet to a combine harvester, Oscar the cat thought he would never walk again, but we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Noel Fitzpatrick, a veterinary surgeon based in Surrey, England, is the subject of a BBC documentary titled The Bionic Vet, and for good reason. Working in tandem with a team from University College London led by Professor Gordon Blunn, Fitzpatrick may have revolutionized the field of prosthetics by implanting metal pegs into the leg bones of a black cat.

What's so special about implanting metal pegs? Nothing at all, if you're expecting infection and eventual rejection. Bone and skin generally don't mesh well with metal.

But these metal pegs, called intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthetics, or Itaps, actually have the bone and skin growing into them. Says Fitzpatrick:

"We have managed to get the bone and skin to grow into the implant and we have developed an 'exoprosthesis' that allows this implant to work as a see-saw on the bottom of an animal's limbs to give him effectively normal gait."

The pegs were bioengineered to mimic the way deer antler bones grow through skin.

While the technology has already been tested on humans, with a female victim of the 2005 London bombings receiving a prosthetic arm, the fact that Oscar the cat has two successful implants is astounding.

But not as astounding as the fact that he can actually walk on them moments after having his new feet connected.

For Now The Bionic Cat Just Walks, But Could Laser Feet Be That Far Off?

It's moments like this that make me proud to be writing science posts, even on my day off.

And for those of you who don't care for adorable cat stories, ponder this question: What else could we attach to those pegs? Guns? Lasers? Portal springs? It's like having a living cat action figure with interchangeable parts. The possibilities are diabolically endless!

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I gotta show this to my Ditto tripod kitty ^_^

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

....Ditto with a bionic leg?....oh the HORROR

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

u think he cuts joo bad now.... lol

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this