Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Judge rules Day of Prayer unconstitutional

He says the government cannot call for religious action

MADISON, Wis. - A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled the National Day of Prayer2_bing.gif unconstitutional Thursday, saying the government cannot call for religious action.Congress established the day in 1952 and in 1988 set the first Thursday in May as the day for presidents to issue proclamations asking Americans to pray. The Freedom From Religion Foundation2_bing.gif, a Madison-based group of atheists and agnostics, filed a lawsuit against the federal government in 2008 arguing the day violated the separation of church and state.

President Barack Obama's administration has countered that the statute simply acknowledges the role of religion in the United States. Obama issued a proclamation last year but did not hold public events with religious leaders as former President George W. Bush2_bing.gif had done.

Government involvement in prayer is constitutional only as long as it does not call for religious action, which the prayer day does, U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb wrote in her ruling.

"It goes beyond mere 'acknowledgment' of religion because its sole purpose is to encourage all citizens to engage in prayer, an inherently religious exercise that serves no secular function in this context," Crabb wrote. "In this instance, the government has taken sides on a matter that must be left to individual conscience."

yay intelligence at work! :goodjob:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

:picknose:

Obama's Administration's counter to "change" the meaing of the day was ineffective.

Barbara Crabb's acknowledgement to see through their BS was Super Effective!

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

there was a national prayer day? O_O

what annoys me is pledging allegiance every morning to an american imperial flag was something I didn't believe in so i did not participate (that was before i got my citizenship) when i was in middle through HS, although all my teachers were forced us to do so, threatening to punish us etc. I'm sure this is some of a different issue to "under God" deal for others that which you may have problem with.

now i stand up at least when national anthems play or hearing pledging allegiance when called on jury duty, although not putting my hand on my heart, not reciting anything, as an American citizen out of whatever respect I have left for this country when i go to basket ball games and whatnot.

but i agree that it's stupid that they ask public or force school children to do this either for religious or nationalistic reason.

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

what annoys me is pledging allegiance every morning to an American imperial flag was something I didn't believe in so i did not participate (that was before i got my citizenship) when i was in middle through HS, although all my teachers were forced us to do so, threatening to punish us etc. I'm sure this is some of a different issue to "under God" deal for others that which you may have problem with.
I remember I stopped pledging allegiance to the American flag when I was in High School back when the Iraq War started. My teacher just chalked it up to that just being my opinion.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this