Sign in to follow this  
Torreyjs

Looking for suggestions for new anime to watch

So my wife and I watch anime together a lot. Weve been going through my box sets and watching whole series and I want to own new stuff. So maybe someone here has some recommendations after I list what I own.

GitSAC Seasons 1 and 2 + all GiTS movies (our favorite)

Gundam wing + Endless Waltz

Samurai Champloo

Claymore

Cowboy Bebop + Movie

Blue sub 6

Witch Hunter Robin

Hellsing

.hack //sign and roots

Gunslinger girl season 1

Gungrave

Wolf's Rain

Ergo Proxy

Last Exile

Evangelion

Serial Experiments Lain

Vampire Hunt D bloodlust (my favorite standalone movie)

Escaflowne

So after that jumbled list is there any recomendations? Ive heard from a friend back in the states that Dragon Ball Z kai was worth owning. I havent seen DBZ since I was a kid - like most people so is the nostalgia worth it?

Outside of DBZ I am not sure what to look for or think about buying all discussion is welcomed.

Edited by Torreyjs

Berserk, Rahxephon, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Gurren Lagaan, Code Geass, R.O.D., Gundam Zeta, Double Zeta, Gundam 00 (S1 and S2), Hajime No Ippo, Outlaw Star, Get Backers, Slayers, Samurai 7, Hellsing OVA's, Full Metal Panic, Black Lagoon, School D... (*gets glared at by Eppy and Goku*) ... the list could go on though. Everything you listed is pretty good.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Wow, aside from .hack //sign and roots, Last Exile and Serial Experiments Lain we've seen everything on that list and like it (except eva :meh:).

Dragon ball kai isn't out in english yet and won't be for a while, but if you want to watch something good it depends on... english, or subtitles...

English: Definitely watch Berserk, Gurren Lagaan, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho (long, almost dragon ball epic fighting, very good), InuYasha (long), Slayers (5 seasons 2 not out in english yet but won't affect the overall plot), Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist (2 seasons), Full Metal Panic (3 seasons), Fushigi Yugi (2 seasons, + 2 ovas), Naruto (first 3-5 seasons?), Bleach (first 3-5 seasons?), Fruits Basket (1 season, no action), Kenshin (long, hella good), Black Lagoon (2 seasons).

If you are a gundam wing fan and want to watch a gundam on par with gundam wing, watch Gundam 00 seasons 1 & 2 and season 1 of gundam seed, other than that don't bother with other gundam series unless you are a gundam fan.

Subtitles series: One Piece (long), Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (2 seasons+ still ongoing), Code Geass (2 seasons), Ippo (aka, Hajime no Ippo, don't watch this in english its basically the voice cast from the 80's TMNT, god awful voices. X'D)

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

So after reading whats been suggester so far I and doing a little research I ordered RahXephon. But thats only the beginning of course Ive set aside a couple hundred dollars a month in my budget for videogames/books/anime and right now books and videogames arent all that interesting. So Ive got plenty of room to obtain more animes keep suggesting more please; Sledge your post was very helpful.

Ive been looking at Dragon Ball Z some more since DBz Kai wont be out for a while and Im debating on getting that too. I mean it is old and nostalgic so Im not sure if I would enjoy it anymore but at the same time You can get the season box sets on Amazon for about 22$ each which is crazy cheap for the amount of minutes of entertainment obtained. What do you guys think?

Im going to do some more research on what others have recommended thanks a lot guys.

Edited by Torreyjs

Just remember that Dragonball Kai is a remake of DBZ, except in full HD. They cut all the filler episodes and random episodes like the 20 episodes of "planet namek will blow up in 5 minutes" to trim the entire series down by over 100 episodes. I was going to get the dbz sets myself, but I think I'll be waiting on DBZ Kai instead. But hey, to each their own. One of my friends bought all the DBZ seasons and loves all the episodes.

btw, if you are interested in any american cartoons, I recommend "Avatar: The Last Airbender" its 3 seasons, and even though you would think its just a kiddy cartoon on nickelodeon, it was damn good. O_O Its probably the only american cartoon I've ever seen that could be subbed over in japan and be considered an anime there.

I also recommend Samurai Jack. Its 4 seasons, but unfortunately they never finished the series. There were plans to do a final movie to finish it off, but last I heard is that it was shelved. But even without an ending, the series is great. We have all four seasons on dvd. ^_^

A couple more anime series I recommend are Death Note (2 seasons, amazingly good series) and GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka, 2 seasons).

Ohh yeah Avatar creeped in on me, I love the series. Love it because of Touf, Uncle Iroh, Zuko. Samurai Jack, man, such cool music, I need to grab the series in it's entirety. Good call on em both, Sledgemedgewedge ^_^

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

If you liked Gungrave you'll prolly like Black Lagoon. I have both BL steelbook box sets, teh nice. The series is not suitable for children. I prefer it subbed. An OVA is upcoming and eventually a 3rd season.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wjjow8Tag]YouTube- Black Lagoon opening[/ame]

Berserk has the wartime thing going on, sword fighting. It is not suitable for children. It was recently spiffed up and re-released which is why I have 3 box sets. Decent dub. The manga went on but I highly doubt there will ever be anymore Berserk anime.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLmMcKZZ_c]YouTube- Berserk - Opening[/ame]

Code Geass, though most of the main characters are student age there is minimal humor and a lot of psychological drama going on. Prefer sub

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5tgCgskXys]YouTube- Code Geass Trailer[/nomedia]

Death Note is a psychological mystery type. Prefer subs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vXZad00CaA]YouTube- Death Note English Anime Trailer[/ame]

I didn't see any sports anime on yer list, usually I don't care for them myself but Hajime no Ippo is a boxing series and I do like boxing; the series has awesome characters, very easy to love em all. Its long and a new 2nd Ippo series (new challenger) was recently released as the manga is huge...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOX_Jn2DxQU]YouTube- Hajime No Ippo New Challenger (Opening 4) HQ[/ame]

If you have a lot of time and want a great story One Piece is the ultimate pirate adventure. We're over the 10 seasons mark and catching up to the manga. Look for the subs as I have yet to hear anyone good do the eng voices. A lot of people are totally missing out on amazing characters and a fantastic plot with some of the best fights in anime because they don't like the art style; their loss.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4nPbWnIDgY]YouTube- One Piece Opening 12 "Kaze wo Sagashite" HD[/ame]

For good fighting I also recommend Yu Yu Hakusho. It has a steady build up of characters and their strength. It gets a little darker towards the end

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePmfMKiR8U4]YouTube- Yu Yu Hakusho AMV - Mortal Kombat Theme[/nomedia]

Gurren Lagann is just awesome crazy shit

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVb8nKj6iYo]YouTube- Gurren Lagann Trailer[/ame]

and there is always Kenshin :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BFolP_pC8A]YouTube- Rurouni Kenshin - Opening 1[/ame]

You may notice no Naruto or Bleach here. The animes are heavily loaded down w filler mostly due to the incompetence of the mangaka involved taking forever to write through a fight...which is one of the reasons I quit reading them. :glasses:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

My personal favorites are Berserk and Kenshin. Amazing series. I also really like Blassreiter, so far. Check that out too.

Oh, also watch Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina! Those movies kicked ass, imo.

Edited by Eli

3-1.gif

My wife and I are rewatching Samurai Champloo right now, god I forgot how good this series was. When your older and rewatch it the all of the comedy shines through and the director (as always) did a great job with music placement and choice. It really is one smooth story. That and in Bluray the animation, expecially in fights, looks superb.

So far Im looking at Black Lagoon for my next grab. I forgot to mention I own both appleseed movies and didnt list them because they sucked so hard. Thats my opinion anyways.

I honestly think I want to buy some older anime to nostalgia on, but the thought of a married grown man buying pokeman, sailor moon, or tenchi muyo seems retarded. What do you guys think?

Edits: I just bought Blue Gender box set for 15$ on Amazon through one of the vendors that goes through them. I honestly think Amazon kicks everyones ass.

Edited by Torreyjs

Naah, I don't think it's retarded to see someone of any age buying Tenchi or Sailor cos they're classics, and great series none the less. I'm jealous of your Champ Blu Ray! Almost forgot, try Air Master too, there're some cool fights in there as well.

Godgrave never suggest that series that we shall never name again. That show will crush anyone's opinion on romance drama until they curl up into a ball and cry while stabbing themselves in the face over and over again. It took me 2 years to get over it. Eppy had to keep repairing me with duck tape.

As for suggestions. Here's a few for starters.

- Darker Than Black

- Gundam 00

- Code Geass

- Bokurano

- Black Lagoon

- Blood +

- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

- Sword of the Stranger (movie)

- Kemono no Souja Erin

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Funny you mention that, I rewatched it at Otakon last year, and I was contemplating to make it a permanent addition to my annual Otakon watch list, or I might do the Ef series X'D.

Good call on DTB, Bokurano, Higurashi, and Kemono. May I suggest Quee...*cough* ^_^

I'm sure seeing that show a few times will wear out any harmful effects it may of had on viewers the first time they saw it. Once was enough for me though :P. What's funny was I knew it was coming from seeing the video novel but the way they did it was like "oh nothing is gonna happen. They must be going with the happy ending" and then BAM they give you the in your face wtf did I just see ending.

Ef was pretty good. Not a fan of the second season though. Probably becuse of the age difference between the two main characters. I'm not a fan of 16-17 year olds hooking up with 26+ year olds in a romance drama lol. Brings back too many bad memory's of my ex hooking up with a stupid brit that was 10 years older then her.....dumb bitch.

If you liked Ef and that show that we will not name, you'll probably like kimi ga nozomu eien (aka. Rumbling Hearts). Now that's a good romance drama even if it's got a cliché ending.

sig.php

If you liked Ef and that show that we will not name, you'll probably like kimi ga nozomu eien (aka. Rumbling Hearts). Now that's a good romance drama even if it's got a cliché ending.

kimi ga nozomu eien was pretty good... but what is this anime you will not name!? Tell me! Please? O_O

Mega Spoiler Alert.

The story isn't what it appears in the spoiler, because I was having fun with it ^_^

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Well after doing much deliberating heres what I just got. DBZ seasons 1-6, Baccano, Black Lagoon, and Blue Gender, and (this shocks me) I got Gunslinger girl 2 on bluray - I had to since the bluray was cheaper than regular dvd. What kind of backwards ass pricing is that? Ah well I win in the end.

You know when I obtained Samurai Champloo and Claymore I also got those on bluray since the bluray was cheaper than regular DVD. I dunno I hope more of this happens.

Now I need to make a list of loot that I want next month since I just burned my income tax budget to spend on media.

I guess I should finish up the DBZ series and get GT but after that I dont know, I need to buy anime for my wife only, she might like that. But I have no idea about the female based genres.

Im thinking Ruruoni Kenshin would be something my wife could enjoy, plus its long as fuck too so thats plenty to enjoy together. Sledge what dubs do you and Lady enjoy watching together. And if anyone else is married/living together with your significant other what anime do you watch with them.

Edited by Torreyjs

kimi ga nozomu eien was pretty good... but what is this anime you will not name!? Tell me! Please? O_O

Sledge if you watch it expect a bloodbath. No matter how cute it starts out expect it to all go to hell. The name of the show which we shall not name is

School days

and yes it's as fucked up as Godgave's little comic.

@Godgave - lol thanks for bringing back bad memory's :P. I can just see her (DO NOT READ SPOILER, SPOILER ALERT)

cutting my chest open and skull fucking me with my own dick. Then getting on her boat and sailing away with my eyeless head

*Shudders*. What's funny is I still feel bad for her. The show really shit all over her.

sig.php

You just made me wanna re-watch it ... shoot, I gotta find the time now. Maybe on the subway.

The jist:

Very mentally scarring show is being talked about. Said show makes you think it's a normal school anime with the usual dating teens and what not. Turns out it's not, guy is hornier then most school boys and sleeps around on his "girlfriend" but is instead in love with a different girl. All of it wraps up with one of those wtf moments where you're traumatized because you saw it coming but didn't think it would happen but it did and in such a violent way they refused to show it on TV in Japan and the only way to see it was through various fansub groups that got ahold of like the showing on two networks overseas. There was a nice boat though (inside joke, most who have seen the show or have read stuff on the MAL forums know what I'm talking about).

Basically it's an anime that scarred poor goku for life and is based off of a very interesting if not violent ero-game. If that confused you more then we'll leave it at that. I've seen the show and even I admit it was rather traumatizing (I watched the first 4 eps got sick of it and skipped to the last after a lot of talk about it, however I understood where it was going from my knowledge of the game).

As for actually being on topic with this I have no where to go with it. Most of the animes I'd of recommended are listed. Plus I don't usually recommend anime unless I understand what exactly one is interested in (listing shows doesn't help me but genres do help).

Edited by Strider Hiryu

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Basically it's an anime that scarred poor goku for life and is based off of a very interesting if not violent ero-game.

It made me fear romance drama or at least changed my mentality when starting a new one, as it apparently did with what seems to be 90% of MAL lol. I still see "I get major ****** **** vibes from this show." and "I hope there's no nice boat ending" in shows that clearly will not have such things.

sig.php

What I like about it is it's quality to move the average viewer through all those emotions, effectively. Plus it's short, and tight.