Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Spider-Man 4 canceled! Teenager reboot version in the works instead... wtf

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/16642.html

Sony/Columbia has decided to pull the plug on Spider-Man 4. Signs of trouble appeared last week when the studio announced that the production was put on hiatus (see “Spider-Man 4 Delayed”). Now the studio has decided to fire director Sam Raimi who has helmed all three of the highly successful Spider-Man films and ditch Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and all the high priced talent in front of the camera as well. In a successful series such as Spider-Man all the key players generally get raises for each subsequent film, which naturally drives up production costs.

Variety is reporting that the studio, which could risk losing the rights to the Spider-Man character if it doesn't produce a new film, had a contingency plan in case of problems with the Raimi-helmed Spider-Man 4. The plan involves a “reboot” script by James Vanderbilt that takes Spidey back to high school in a version that will feature all new younger actors and cost the studio far less to produce. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, who have been involved in the production of all 3 Spider-Man movies, will be producing the new Spider-Man film. The new teenage Spider-Man movie, which has no stars or director attached at present, is slated to debut in the summer of 2012.

Spider-Man 4 had originally been scheduled for early May of 2011, thus it was a very bad sign for the film when, in the wake of stories about delays in the production of the next Spider-Man film, Marvel Studios moved the debut of its Thor movie into the Spidey 4 slot (see “Thor Saves the Date”), which just happens to coincide with Free Comic Book Day. Reports indicate that the studio was unhappy with the script for Spider-Man 4 and the villain (The Vulture) that Raimi had chosen for the film. Raimi, who obviously could have been a diplomat if he had wanted to, told Variety: “While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job.”

Though the studio will save a potentially huge amount of money in production costs by rebooting the series, Sony/Columbia is messing with a billion dollar franchise. Let’s hope the studio is not jettisoning the character-driven approach that made the first two films in the series so compelling.

James Vanderbilt... wtf... Spider-Man meets Dawson's Creek. Teenager drama... I'm sure Disney would approve tho. -_-;

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

how can they reboot a series that is still very fresh

money whores

tbh the spiderman series could work as a teen series much like the spectacular spiderman cartoon show

the worst part of the movies was mary jane.

less emo crap and more kick ass super hero action

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Spider-Man needs near ten years off...

Vulture in Spider-Man 4... I just remembered Deadpool: Suicide Kings #4...

*Edit*

picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=854

Sorry that my scanner & MS Paint still suck.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

i guess you reallly can't go any further with mary jane getting kidnapped and rescued all the time. i don't follow comics but i thought it ditched mary jane in a time warp for the story to progress..or maybe i'm thinking something else.

either way i never liked toby and kirnst playing those characters..thought the story started too young in HS

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

I hate teen based movies for the most part just because they kinda dumb down or stupid plot and the teenagers they select can't act worth a damn. I guess they assume their target audience won't give a shit anyhow. Of course, some of the worst films in terms of plot/acting have been some of the most profitable because of big explosions and lots of action.

Epic phail. Bad start to a new decade. Given movie 3 was atrocious, movies 1 and 2 I'd consider 'decent', 1 being better than the rest. The character build ups were not too shabby, and it's gotten to a point where they can cut the crap and introduce badass villians without having to explain the situation to the audience, but no, they want to introduce a teen-bop movie because of the lame success of the Twilight movies. If that's the case, don't botch up the story, invest in 'The Years Growing Up By Van Hellsing' or 'Count Dracula: My First Bite Was My First Love' or a similar lame story.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

ment to be more about peter parker's life

seriously why not instead make peter parker a vampire, as it is obviously trying to copy twilights success

hell they will prob get the guy from twilight to play him...

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I bet the teenager remake won't even have a villain. It'll just be Peter Parker's high school bullshit, then he'll get bit by the spider and then he'll join the football team and own some jocks... they'll leave it open for a sequel tho, because at the end of the movie he'll get a job at Dr. Connor's lab and they'll hint at a possible lizard man arc that would never happen because they'll have to re-do all the green goblin stuff or maybe bring in Rhino.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/16707.html

A few more details concerning Sony’s reboot of Spider-Man (see “Director Hired for Spider-Man Reboot”) have leaked out. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s Risky Business blog, new Spider-Man director Marc Webb has an option for two additional Spidey movies. Current plans call for film with a budget of about $80 million that will concentrate on Peter Parker’s high school years and feature a young and inexpensive cast.

Reportedly the inspiration for the film, which will be based on a script by Jamie Vanderbilt, is the Ultimate Spider-Man series written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated by Marc Bagley. Ultimate Spider-Man debuted in October of 2002. Bendis stretched Stan Lee’s original 11-page Spider-Man origin story into a seven-issue 180-page story arc by fleshing out Peter Parker’s high school adventures, his after school job, his relationship with next door neighbor Mary Jane Watson, and the circumstances surrounding the death of his uncle.

Yay, possibly 3 movies of high school drama! W...T...F...