Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Fishermen see upside to pirates: more fish

Locals and tourists in Kenya benefit as large trawlers stay away

MALINDI, Kenya - People here have one thing to thank Somali pirates for: better fishing.In past years, illegal commercial trawlers parked off Somalia's coast and scooped up the ocean's contents. Now, fishermen on the northern coast of neighboring Kenya say, the trawlers are not coming because of pirates.

"There is a lot of fish now, there is plenty of fish. There is more fish than people can actually use because the international fishermen have been scared away by the pirates," said Athman Seif, the director of the Malindi Marine Association.

Trawlers 'kill everything'

"They kill everything from the bottom of the ocean to the boat. They run at 22 knots. They can lay their lines for 24 hours, pick them up and get out of there," he said. "The damage on the sports fishing side is immeasurable."A report on pirates this year by the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies in Singapore said the value of illegal catches from Somalia's maritime jurisdiction is estimated at between $90 million and $300 million a year, and that foreign fishing vessels hail from all around the world.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

they have nothing to steal or hold for randsom like the big ships

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

they have nothing to steal or hold for randsom like the big ships
Still pirates are a danger to everyone. If they can't steal from big ships then they'll just lower their standards in how they steal. Pirates just don't stop being pirates just because "their aren't any big ships".

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

if you say so

I dunno if its you feel like arguing or I'm just burnt out on arguing but I aint playin with you brother

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

if you say so

I dunno if its you feel like arguing or I'm just burnt out on arguing but I aint playin with you brother

Off Topic:

Yeah... sorry about that... I've had setbacks in my current plans dating back to November & December that may go on until Spring / Summer or longer... And it's just driving me Nucking Futs... To the point where I've blown steam over issues that have nothing to do with me... Or are ultimately trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I hear ya dude. I've had shit going on w/ my lil sis bein sick and in the hospital since Nov and I'm burnt out

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this