Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Public Water starts today, should I buy a Brita water filter?

Our landlord is here doing the final hook up to public water right now. We've been on well water for so long, it'll be weird with completely different tasting water. I'm not going to like the fact that fluoride will be in the water now, but I will like not having hard water anymore. The minerals in the water were probably healthy for us, but it always pissed me off having to clean our coffee makers once a month and buying a new one twice a year. gah, at least the public water will be better for our washing machine.

So, if the water tastes nasty to me, should we pick up a brita water filter jug? Or maybe theres another brand thats better? I have a bad feeling our water is going to taste like chemicals. x_x

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Otisco Lake water has high levels of ibuprofen and caffeine in it. I'm not real excited to give it to my animals n houseplants -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I have a PUR faucet filter, (Brita jugs are annoying) also if you have access to the main line coming into your house, you could install a filter on that, then all the water in the house is filtered, believe you only have to replace the filter on that every 6 months or so.

Khellv2.jpg

I have a PUR faucet filter, (Brita jugs are annoying) also if you have access to the main line coming into your house, you could install a filter on that, then all the water in the house is filtered, believe you only have to replace the filter on that every 6 months or so.

I thought about an overall filtration system, but I think the price will be too high.. especially since we rent. If we owned the house I'd probably be up for it tho.

btw, how often do you have to replace the filter on the PUR faucet? I'm wondering which filter brand I should go with in terms of how often I'll have to replace the filters and how much they cost... I saw target has a Zero water filter that filters out so good it makes your water the equivalent of bottled water. But that makes me think the filters would get that much dirtier faster and need more frequent replacing. :huh:

Thanks guys. I might pick up a water filter today if I get a chance to go out to the store. The public water is in as of yesterday. I was expecting it to taste much worse than it does but it is comparable to the well water we used to have. Its probably because all the water pipes in the street were all newly installed this last summer. I still don't trust the chemicals so I'll definitely get a filter of some kind soon tho. The water pressure is better. I can run the washing machine and do dishes at the same time now. The only problem now is that the leak we have in the bathtub faucet (the hot water) is now leaking much more faster because of the increased pressure, which causes the hot water to run out even faster in the shower. :cold:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      This is pretty cool and could be very useful for future oil spills.

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/scientists-develop-water-tractor-beam#2degAcAppcXbBVkG.99
    • By DeathscytheX
      http://gizmodo.com/nasas-curiosity-rover-just-found-water-in-martian-soil-1403908591

• By DeathscytheX
      http://gizmodo.com/5990876/lockheeds-new-carbon-filter-takes-all-the-effort-out-of-desalinization

• By Sledgstone
      http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/091113-lcross-moon-crash-water-discovery.html
      Water on the moon... lets make a colony.
    • By Flying_Monkey
      H2O: Dangerous Chemical!
      A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since:

it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
      it is a major component in acid rain
      it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
      accidental inhalation can kill you
      it contributes to erosion
      it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
      it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
      The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

Forty-three (43) said yes,
      six (6) were undecided,
      and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

He feels the conclusion is obvious.
      This was found on the newsgroup: rec.humor.funny
      Why do people not know what water is? Better yet how do people not know what water is? (...I fear the answers to these questions...)