Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

How the Stupak Amendment Radically Undermines Women's Rights

How the Stupak Amendment Radically Undermines Women's Rights

Stupak’s amendment doesn’t just apply to the public option—the lower-cost plan to be offered by the government. The House health care bill will also provide subsidies to help people and small businesses purchase plans on an exchange. This represents a lucrative new market for insurers: anyone earning less than $88,000 for a family of four qualifies for assistance, as well as certain small companies. But to gain access to these new customers, insurers will have to drop abortion coverage from their plans.
:aho:
he Stupak amendment says that women are free to buy an optional rider to their plans that would cover abortion, as long as no money appropriated by the bill is used to pay for it. Critics call this ridiculous. People don’t think they’ll need coverage for most medical procedures until the day they actually need it; as detractors of the amendment have pointed out, no one plans for an unplanned pregnancy. Imagine if all insurance plans worked like a smorgasbord, in which you tried to guess the operations and medicines you might require sometime in the future. How many procedures would you actually fork out for in advance? Five states already have similar "rider" laws in place, but according to Sonfield, "No one seems to have come up with evidence that these plans are ever sold."

wow... I would really hate to have to do a 180 and help tank the bill when I know so many people that need access to cheap insurance -_-;

but I won't support the bill if they're going to interfere with women's health choices.

Serious low blow rethugs and conserve a dicks. Fuck you.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this