Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Water Bottles Now Included in NY & CT Bottle Bills

CITIZENS CAMPAIGN FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

VICTORY ALERT

Water Bottles Now Included in NY & CT Bottle Bills

Victory! The expanded Bottle Bill has been signed into law and is in effect. You can now return water bottles for a 5 cent refund.

Connecticut’s Bottle Bill went into effect October 1, 2009, and New York’s expanded bottle law takes effect on October 31. By adding non-carbonated beverage bottles to the list of bottles available for 5 cent redemption, recycling rates of water bottles are expected to increase significantly.

In New York and Connecticut, this new expanded Bottle Bill will help generate revenue for the states. Previously, when deposits were not reclaimed by consumers, the unclaimed bottle deposit money was returned to the bottlers and distributors. Now, these unclaimed nickels will return to the states and provide a direct benefit to the public. The unclaimed nickels are expected to provide additional millions to NY and an estimated $12 million to CT each year.

The original Bottle Bill was one of the most successful pieces of environmental legislation and substantially reduced litter and increased recycling. Many things have changed in the decades since states first adopted bottle bills. In the early 1980’s, carbonated and malt beverages comprised the lion’s share of the convenience beverage market. Now, the largest growing sector of the convenience beverage industry consists of bottled water, tea, and sports drinks. CCE and our partners have worked for years to expand the Bottle Bill to capture these beverages. Recycling saves money, creates jobs, saves energy, and fights climate change.

CCE thanks you for your support in securing the adoption of these overdue changes to the existing bottle bills. With public support, we look forward to working to address the growing trend of water bottle use and decrease the amount of bottles that wind up in landfills.

Thank you for all that you do. Together we make a difference.

YOUR FRIENDS AT CCE

:goodjob:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

How about a bill abolishing the 5 cent refund on alcoholic beverages?... Only thing that keeps me from recycling is the recycling center always smells like stale beer.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I rinse the bottle/can before I stash it. keeps stink and ants away. In the plaza I do my shopping in both the grocery store and the Walmart have the machines for returning the stuff. Less stinky then redemption centers.

I wish every store that uses plastic bags have a bin to take them back for recycling (if they don't I speak to a manager and wont buy shit there until they have one. I did it when Target opened in Fairmount, they have a bin for their bags now)and every store that sells plastic/glass bottles and cans had a machine out front to return those to be recycled too at the very least the big stores.

The best way to get something is to ask (and nag nag nag if you must!) Like w/ Target I told the mgr it was irresponsible of Target to not take back all the plastic bags they push out the door and that as a local I don't want my lakes clogged with plastic bags. I couldn't have been the only one to say so and our complaining brought Target around to do the right thing with their bags.

If your area doesn't have these programs ask for them :) Don't be afraid to speak up for the right things. If nobody spoke up, nobody would step up and nothing would get done. We must be the change we want to see in the world. Start with your local officials and state senators.

If it were up to me recycling and the 5 cent deposit/return would be a federal law in all 50 states no exceptions. The recycling industry employs people, I suppose it would fit the green job description.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I rinse the bottle/can before I stash it. keeps stink and ants away. In the plaza I do my shopping in both the grocery store and the Walmart have the machines for returning the stuff. Less stinky then redemption centers.
I do recycle my plastic bags I get from Walmart most of the time. Although it does have machines in the redemption center it still smells real nasty. It really sucks once the weather is rainy or snowy while waiting for the bus. Once you get out the doors the front & the picnic tables are covered with smokers. So the safest place to be in those events are in the redemption center which still smells nasty, but is better than 2nd hand smoke.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this