Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Monserrate Walks on Felonies; Guilty of Misdemeanor Assault

NBC NY

State Senator Hiram Monserrate was acquitted of the most serious charges against him today, but was found guilty of misdemeanor assault of his girlfriend -- a conviction which could carry jail-time but does not automatically mean he will lose his senate seat.

The Queens politician was found not guilty of two felony charges of assault and one other misdemeanor charge stemming from the December incident that left his girlfriend with 20 stitches to her face following a night of drinking and arguing. A conviction on those charges would have effectively ended his senate career

"A terrible accident happened to my girlfriend Carla Giraldo -- a person that I love," a vindicated Monserrate said as he walked out of the courtroom a free man. "And I will always live with that. There are no winners. This has been a humbling experience. Yes. I was acquitted of a intentional act."

Defense attorney Joseph Tacopina said Monserrate would never spend a moment in jail on the misdemeanor charge and celebrated the verdict as a victory, predicting that Monserrate would keep his senate seat.

The problem for prosecutors was that girlfriend Giraldo said it was an accident too. And despite apartment surveillance video that showed an agitated Monserrate leading Giraldo forcefully out of their Jackson Heights, Queens building and neighbors who described a night of fighting between the couple, only Monserrate and Giraldo were behind the closed doors where and when her pretty face was gashed.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO FROM THE TRIAL

In the video, Monserrate's girlfriend, Karla Giraldo, can be seen grabbing hold of a banister for support as he yanks her away. She then attempts to ring a neighbor's doorbell while clutching her bloody face before Monserrate again pulls her away.

NARAL Pro-Choice New York Calls for Senator Monserrate’s Ouster: “In the wake of his assault conviction, NARAL Pro-Choice New York strongly condemns Senator Hiram Monserrate and unequivocally calls for his immediate ouster....Our message to the Senate is urgent and clear: if ...you do not remove this individual from office, we will.”

As if I didn't hate my senate enough already for the bullshit they pulled over the summer. Any eye trained to recognize domestic violence can see that he is an abuser. He yanks her around and doesn't let her go back for the towel she was holding against her face because he doesn't want it drawing attention to them in public. Part of the abuse cycle is that the abuser intimidates the victim into remaining silent about the abuse; she didn't cooperate with prosecutors.

This piece of shit needs to get lost right fucking now.

:bikehit1::bikehit2:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this