Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Burger King getting a new look

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_13501415?source=email

Burger King Corp. plans to swap its generic fast-food feel and bland tiles and tabletops for a vibe that's more sit-down than drive-through.

As part of a plan to be revealed today in Amsterdam, the company will announce a massive effort to overhaul its 12,000 locations worldwide. The sleek interior will include rotating red flame chandeliers, brilliant TV-screen menus and industrial-inspired corrugated metal and brick walls.

"I'd call it more contemporary, edgy, futuristic," Chairman and CEO John Chidsey said. "It feels so much more like an upscale restaurant."

But that comes with an upscale price: The new look is expected to cost franchisees, who operate 90 percent of Burger King's locations, between $300,000 to $600,000 per restaurant.

The company said the new design, called "20/20" at the Miami-based chain, already is in place at about 60 locations around the world.

Burger King expects about 75 more redesigned restaurants to open by the end of next year. But it will take years before all its locations are transformed.

Burger King franchise owners are contractually required to update their restaurants after a set period of time, and executives said the redesign will be the primary option for future upgrades. All new restaurants will be built using the plan.

So far, remodeled restaurants have seen sales climb about 12 to 15 percent, while restaurants that are torn down and completely rebuilt at the same location have seen sales climb by as much as 30 percent, Chidsey said.

Observers say the hip, urban and masculine elements in the redesign may be a hit with Burger King's most loyal customers — young men who frequent the chain known as much for its signature Whoppers and "steak burgers" as its sometimes-creepy "King" commercials. But some experts are skeptical about whether sales will grow as much as the company claims and how eager franchise owners will be to part with that kind of cash, particularly in a sour economy.

Morningstar analyst R.J. Hottovy said the reformulated restaurant could keep diners at the table longer but may not draw in enough extra diners to justify the cost.

"I don't think they'll change their perception," he said. "They're pretty entrenched in their reality."

A group representing Burger King franchise owners didn't comment.

Fast-food restaurants typically get almost two-thirds of their business from drive-through or carryout orders. More appealing interiors could help the company compete with sit-down counterparts that many customers think offer better food and better ambiance.

If franchises don't want to pay to upgrade their locations, burger kings could start closing down. O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

:picknose:

Even with these upgrades Fast Food < Diners.

I'll take actual Steak, Ribs, & BBQ chinken anyday.

I've been known to spend $30-40 on just myself when eating out at a diner.

If I do go to a Fast Food Burger Joint it's usually just for a milkshake to go.

Edited by Myk JL

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I'm guessing BK is trying to pull an axe deodorant move. If they narrow their target audience to a more selective group, they might get improved sales from the highschool crowd. Which would then leave the moms with kids over at mcdonald's play place.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'm guessing BK is trying to pull an axe deodorant move. If they narrow their target audience to a more selective group, they might get improved sales from the highschool crowd. Which would then leave the moms with kids over at mcdonald's play place.
:scared:Oh... No... Glenn Beck is The Burger King...

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this