Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

LED Lightbulb Lasts 19 Years

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/led-lightbulb-lasts-19-years-claims-right-to-vote/

How many 18-year olds does it take to change a Panasonic EverLED lightbulb? None, because they won’t be old enough — the bulb lasts for 19 years.

This is far from the first LED lightbulb (I have one in my bedroom, and it glows a hideous cold shade of white, giving everyone the pallor of Murnau’s Nosferatu), but that 19-year claim is irresistible to anyone who loves a good lightbulb joke (and is there any other kind of lightbulb joke?) Panasonic has increased the efficiency of the bulbs by making them run colder through better heat dissipation, and the 6.9 Watt version will put out as much light as a 60W incandescent for 40,000 hours, which means 19 years if used for 5.5 hours a day, and a respectable 4.5 years if run 24/7.

The EverLEDs also have the dubious boast of being the world’s lightest. We laughed at first, but then, in 19 years time, who knows what kind of shape you’ll be in? Maybe those few grams could make the difference between changing it yourself, with frail, weak hands, or calling on that awful young neighbor, the one who always walks across your lawn. $40, Japan only for now.

Wow. 19 freaking years. I want a floodlight one. I'll never have to change that damn bulb again.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      The new "Light" theme is up! As of this post, all the old themes have been removed and the "Perfect Dark" theme has been renamed to just plain "Dark" because I am done with the different variations I was testing out. The light theme has a few issues with it at the moment, but it will be getting an update in about a week. Enjoy!
    • By Sledgstone
      The new "Light" theme is up! As of this post, all the old themes have been removed and the "Perfect Dark" theme has been renamed to just plain "Dark" because I am done with the different variations I was testing out. The light theme has a few issues with it at the moment, but it will be getting an update in about a week. Enjoy!
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone
      Wow. If neutrinos are faster than light that will be huge.
    • By Sledgstone
      http://dvice.com/archives/2008/08/esl_the_newest.php
      Click the link for the picture of the bulb. From what I was reading, it sounds like these bulbs will be about the same price as the CFL bulbs. And these don't have mercury vapor in them and they are dimmable. I'm definitely going to buy one of these for my flood light outside. It'll probably last years upon years before I'd have to replace it again.