Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Disney XD channel = The new anime channel?

Disney XD Gets 'Naruto Shippuden'

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15813.html

Viz Media has announced that, starting in October new episodes of Naruto Shippuden will air every week on Disney’s XD cable channel. The XD channel targets boys from 6-14, which makes it a perfect match for Naruto. Set some two-and-one-half years after the original Naruto anime series, which proved to be a major hit on the Cartoon Network, Naruto Shippuden has been available in subtitled form on a number of Internet sites since early this year and the various webcastings have attracted large numbers of viewers (see “Free Naruto Anime Available in U.S.”).

The popularity of the Shippuden episodes on the Web, plus the success of the Masashi Kissimoto’s original Naruto manga, which has been the #1 manga title in the U.S. for four years, all bode well for the success of the broadcast of dubbed episodes of the series on Disney XD. After a fairly slow start, ratings for the Disney XD channel have been building. The addition of Naruto Shippuden along with the potential provided by Disney’s pending acquisition of Marvel should eventually result in the XD network becoming a true powerhouse with its target demo of young boys.

Viz Media is releasing its first Shippuden DVD in September (see “First Shippuden DVD in September”), just two weeks after Tomy debuts its Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 game for the Nintendo DS. A month after the Shippuden anime debuts on the XD cable channel, Tomy is releasing Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 for the Nintendo Wii.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15763.html

Spectacular Spider-Man showrunner Gary Weisman revealed on his blog this week that Sony has returned the Spider-Man TV rights (under which it had produced Spectacular Spider-Man) to Marvel in exchange for a concession on the Spider-Man live action features.

The show, currently being aired on Disney XD (see “Spectacular Spider-Man Moves to Disney XD”), is in its second season. Now that Sony is out of the picture, Marvel and Disney will have sold control over whether a third season is made, according to Weisman’s posts.

Thanks to Newsarama for the link.

With Disney owning Marvel and their main cartoon channel having shows like Wolverine and the X-Men, Spectacular Spider-Man, X-Men Evolution and Naruto Shippuden.. it seems like Disney XD will be the new dominant channel for anime and anime style american cartoons. Who knows what new series they may make out of the marvel franchise and seeing as they will air Naruto, it makes me wonder if Disney will aquire other Viz series too.

Sure, SyFy has some anime but thats mostly on Mondays only if I remember correctly. Regardless, I'm just glad that actual cable companies are starting to carry more anime since CN turned to shit.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

ya I think Disney is gonna pull a Cartoon network and start airing kick ass shows they just acquired on the after school time block. I think if they did that their viewer base would expand like crazy. Cartoon Network had a good thing going for them with toonami and adult swim, it's just too bad their show manager is a fan of shit now. I had high hopes for Scifi but it looks like they're just jerking around and playing the field. They need some serious guidance before they run that channel into the ground even more then they have already.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

guh I hate CN, I hate SyFy- they treat the fanbase like total shit

and Disney is just evil >.<

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

wolverine and the xmen is freeking awesome show, and season 2 teaser at the end of s1 really looked good,

and S.Spider man is a really great cartoon, i disney fuck em up, ill ban disney from my life

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Disney are the ones already calling the shots on whether or not spidey gets another new season. If they reject it, then we'll know it'll all go downhill. Wolverine and the X-Men was pretty damn good. I've caught at least half the episodes from season 1. I really need to finish watching it and get caught up.

Look at what CN has now in terms of super heroes... "Batman: The Brave and the bold" blah.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg