Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Sam Raimi to Direct 'World of Warcraft' movie

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15424.html

Sam Raimi will direct a live action “event” film based on Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft after he finishes Spider-Man 4, which is slated to begin shooting early next year. The fantasy-themed World of Warcraft is the leading subscription MMORPG (massively multi-player online role-playing game) with over 11 million paid subscribers worldwide (as of 2008, see “Warcraft Hits 11 Million”). WoW’s most recent expansion Wrath of the Lich King sold more than 4 million copies in its first month of release. The WoW property has also spun-off a highly successful CCG (collectible card game) and a CMG (collectible miniatures game) from Upper Deck, two popular board games from Fantasy Flight, as well as an ongoing comic book series from DC/Wildstorm, and a series of popular OEL manga titles from Tokyopop.

According to Variety, the Warcraft film is being produced by Charles Roven (The Dark Knight) and co-financed by Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Raimi will “supervise the development” of the WoW film and then direct it after he completes his work on Spider-Man 4. Warner Bros. Pictures president Jeff Robinov told Variety, “Warcraft is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known,” a clear indication that the studio is thinking of the project in terms of a big-budget summer “tent-pole” production, rather than the typical Resident Evil sort of video game adaptation.

The announcement of Raimi’s attachment to the World of Warcraft movie revivified the project, which had first been announced back in 2006 when Warners acquired the rights (see “Warcraft Heads to the Big Screen”).

ohhhh... I have a feeling this could be a good movie. But what would the plot be like? Or main characters? :huh:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Unless he has played wow, it will suck

also i read ages ago it will be from the alliance point of view, though no indication of what time frame

Before the game, / after??

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

a telling of a story people all ready know would be dissapointing,

Blizzard usually deliver what people want, so i have hope, just not sure about Sam Raimi

looking at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000600/ none of his work suggests he is a director thatcan make something like LOTR look like a 9hr borefest compared to WoW

sigpic1620_11.gif

I trust Sam to do a good job. He knows his warrior hero type. He did Hercules and Xena tv series for years.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

/facepalm

I really wish they'd realize that you can't do a WoW movie, it's damn near impossible to make one. To many possibilities, anything they do is going to need to be placed into the game at some point (you can't have a movie before, lore is established for what happened before the WoW game takes place, then again Blizzard isn't exactly up for keeping lore these days and likes to rewrite it on a whim). Since WoW for the most part is nameless it's either going to have to take and make a new character from scratch or take an existing hero in the game (like King Wrynn, Thrall, etc.) and expand upon their back story or whatever they want.

Whatever though, I've accepted the fact that Hollywood can't be original anymore and needs to make movies based off of other creative mediums. I doubt it'll turn out good anyways (I agree with DX, make a movie based off of Warcraft III and it's expansion. Would make a hell of an entertaining movie).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

They could always make a bunch of movies loosely based off the game like the Resident Evil movies. Which they supposedly aren't going to do.. So I agree with DX. I'd like to see a movie based off Warcraft 3. They could even make it into a trilogy or quadrilogy of movies by making each movie in the perspective of the different races/alliances/campaigns.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

They could always make a bunch of movies loosely based off the game like the Resident Evil movies. Which they supposedly aren't going to do.. So I agree with DX. I'd like to see a movie based off Warcraft 3. They could even make it into a trilogy or quadrilogy of movies by making each movie in the perspective of the different races/alliances/campaigns.

UGH. let us not speak of the RE movies. I know some people liked them, but I think they were all pretty bad. Without the RE title, they might have been mediocre.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

We own all the RE dvds. X'D I love a decent zombie flick... I just pretend they have nothing to do with RE when I watch them. :P

get Legend of the Seeker. ot os a pretty decent medieval show by Sammy

sigpic1620_11.gif