Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Have you seen the Space Station floating in the sky yet?

Check out this article:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/090619-how-to-find-satellites.html

Apparently, you can see the International Space Station with your naked eyes. No need for a telescope. Just look up and there it is.

Along with the ISS, you can also look for a space shuttle on those missions when one is approaching or departing from the space station.

Also visible to the naked eye is the newly refurbished Hubble Space Telescope.

And with good binoculars, you might also try sighting the infamous "ISS Toolbag" which accidentally was allowed to drift into space when veteran spacewalker and astronaut Heide Stefanyshyn-Piper lost her grip on the backpack-sized bag last Nov. 18

This link has a script that can help find out when you can see the space station. I'm going to try to remember looking for it on the fourth of July around 12:40 in the morning.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

you need lots of light to be able to see it. its not really gonna be this huge thing in the sky that you cant miss. its probably going to look sort of like a plane. it gives you a general direction to look in (usually telling you how many degrees east or west of north to look it)

i didnt get to go out again yet, but it makes 15 orbits a day :3

radicalcabbitbannercopy.jpg

Yeah, I figured it'd be small. But there wasn't even a single bit of movement in the sky at all. I was checking every chunk of sky to see even the slightest movement and seeing as the space station should be noticeable because it should cover the horizon in 15 mins, I didn't see it at all. :( I'll try again, unfortunately, most of the day passovers never reach our visibility area in cny.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg