I came across a website that was using vbulletin, but had a facebook chat bar.. I thought, wtf? But after looking around a bit, I stumbled across this site:
Interesting. I wouldn't mind having a feature like this on AC. It be like a built in instant messenger. Very spiffy.
Facebook became as popular as it has because of dumb corporations. Years ago every company jumped on the facebook bandwagon and made a facebook page for every single product, show, movie, etc. I would see billboards on the freeway advertising a product and at the bottom there would be "facebook logo / product" or "facebook.com/nbc" or some crap like that. Companies decided they no longer needed to make their own websites any more. They would simply make a facebook page for everything! They would promote the hell out of their facebook pages through advertisements so they could get as many "likes" as possible. By clicking "Like" on a facebook page, it meant that you would see all of that company's posts in your timeline. NBC took down their own official forums and took down most of the websites for their shows in favor of all their hundreds, possibly thousands of facebook pages.
Years later facebook had an IPO. They now have stock holders that want the company to make money. First facebook let companies that had "Likes" post advertisements on people's friend's feeds as if that person's friend made the post. Facebook stopped doing that after numerous complaints during the last presidential election.
So here it is now.. for the last year+ Facebook has put a new money making strategy into effect. All those company's pages out there with their thousands and millions of likes are now all restricted. Even though these companies and individuals invested time and money to promote their facebook pages so they can keep in contact with their customers and fans easier, Facebook itself is using that against them all. Including us. Whenever you make a post to a facebook page, Facebook has a link that says "Boost Post". "Boosting" a post for money will allow me to forcefully place my post into the time lines of the people that have liked my page. "Promote a post" is also available for regular users that have massive followers like George Takei. He has even commented that only 10% of people who follow him will actually see his posts unless he "Promotes them".
We have a Facebook page with 39 likes:
A few years ago, I would post links to it when we did updates. We would often have posts seen by around 30 people, which was fine. People who actually liked the page got to see when a new article was posted. That was the whole point of me making a page for the site. As it is now, Facebook Pages are completely pointless money pits for Facebook to capitalize on.
If you don't pay Facebook money:
You don't get any views:
I was one of the two people that saw this post that I made over 2 weeks ago. Facebook Pages are pointless. I'd say I feel bad for NBC and all those other companies that invested their time and money into their Facebook Pages, but I'm not. They are the ones that made facebook as popular as it is and now they are paying for it. Eventually companies will start focusing their time and effort into their own actual sites again because it'll become cheaper to do that than pay facebook buckets of money for every post they make. And guess which companies still advertise their facebook pages on billboards or in TV commercials? Hardly none, if any, are still dumb enough to promote another company's website that will lead them into a blackhole of facebook payments.
Anyway, the point of this topic is to announce that I will no longer be updating the Ancient Clan Facebook page. Facebook might get around to changing their policy for smaller pages, but until then I have no interest in "Promoting" or "Boosting" anything. Feel free to follow us on twitter or just check back on the site once in a while to see our new posts and articles.
And of course:
Eppy pointed this out to me the other day.. I use WhatsApp all the time.. I really don't understand the $19 billion price tag.. I bet the instagram people are kicking themselves in the ass for only getting $1 billion back in 2012.
I have been uploading my PS4 videos to youtube for a while now and I wanted to make this guide to explain how it is done. Until the Playstation 4 gets an update that will allow direct video uploading / sharing to youtube, the only option available is to upload your videos to facebook. In this quick guide I explain how to save your uploaded video off of facebook in HD and then how to upload it to youtube. It is very easy.
First off, you have to have a facebook account and you have to connect your PS4 account to it. If you don't want to share your videos to your friends and family, then set your PS4 to share only visible to you. Or make a group on facebook, add the friends you want to see your videos to it and then go back to your PS4 facebook settings and select that group to share videos with. Once you do that, then follow this guide for sharing to youtube.
1) You need Firefox and the Video DownloadHelper addon installed. If you already have firefox then install the addon. If you don't like firefox and prefer chrome, then good for you. Install firefox and this addon anyway just for saving your videos. You can get them from these links:
As you can see in this picture, the addon will add an icon with menu drop down to the top right of the browser:
2) Play a game on your PS4 and share a video to facebook. Its best if you give the video a name because it makes the video have a noticeable click-able link on facebook. On facebook, go to your timeline and click on the name of the video. This will take you to a page specifically for the video and not a popup lightbox version. You will want to be on the video page itself. If you don't name the video, you'll have to click the "your name shared a video" link instead.
3) Now that you are on the video page, do not play it. Instead click the HD button to initiate playback in HD.
4) Once the video is playing you will notice that the Video DownloadHelper icon is now animated and colorful. This means there is a video loaded that you can save. Click the icon and save the video.
5) For some reason, my screenshot did not grab the drop down menu. It shows the video name as a large garble of numbers and letters because that is how the video is saved on facebook. So rename the video to whatever you want but make sure it keeps the .mp4 extension. Also, if you accidentally started playing your video before hitting the HD button, there will be two .mp4 files listed in the Video DownloadHelper drop down. Because the file names make no sense, simply hover over each one to see the file sizes of the videos. Whichever is the largest is the HD video you want to save.
6) Your PS4 video in HD is now saved. All you have to do now is upload it to youtube. I'm assuming you have a youtube account. Sign in, click the upload link shown in this screenshot. It will bring you to this upload screen. Click the large red upload icon and select the video(s) you want to upload.
7) Now that your video is uploading, give the video a name, description and type in a bunch of tags so people can find your video easier. Choose a screenshot for your image or make your own, save it and you are all set.
8) Your Playstation 4 HD videos are now on youtube.