Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Funimation Nabs 'Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood'

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14672.html

Funimation Entertainment has announced the acquisition of digital, broadcast, DVD and merchandising rights to the new Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime series, which debuted in Japan at 5pm on April 5th. FMA: Brotherhood is the sequel to the original 51-episode Fullmetal Alchemist series that received mega exposure on the Cartoon Network and dominated the first annual American Anime Awards (see “American Anime Award Winners”).

The Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime series was directed by Yasuhiro Irie (Kurau Phantom Memory) and written by Hiroshi Onagi (RahXephon). Viz Media is releasing the18th volume of Hiromu Arakawa's Full Metal Alchemist manga (the basis for both FMA anime series) in May.

Starting at 10 am on Thursday April 9th Funimation plans to begin streaming subtitled episodes of the FMA: Brotherhood for free on its Website. Funimation’s President and CEO Gen Fukunaga was pleased that his company was able to simulcast what he called “the most anticipated series of 2009,” and indicated that Funimation was “working toward the simulcasting of more series this year.”

It should be interesting to see if an English language-dubbed version of FMA: Brotherhood will be aired on the Cartoon Network (where the first FMA series was a major hit on Adult Swim) or some other prime cable venue. Will the near simulcasting of subtitled anime series become the new paradigm for anime distribution, or will there be a mixture of simulcasting subtitled versions and broadcasting dubbed versions of the most popular series such as FMA?

I wonder if their streaming will be in decent enough quality or if I should still grab a fansub...

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

this is a remake Kite...it is gonna follow the manga storyline this time....the original FMA started making up its own story after a certain persons death

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

tbh i didnt like how FMA ended (ending up in our world), not sure if this series will be any good,

The way the series ended never happened in the manga. The door never lead to our science world in WW2 era. This series should be quite different. The manga is still ongoing too.

Well, the first episode's out already ... animation style is the same almost, voice actors even so far with whoever's shown their faces in the first episode, and I'm kinda waiting on the music part of it. I loved the music in the prior series ... man, it was amazing.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I'll have to get that first episode soon. Is there a fansub group you would recommend?

@DX, I'm hoping they use the same VAs for the english version from the original series. I really think they did a good job. When Funi took over the Full Metal Panic series from ADV, they hired the same VAs to continue the series. So I think Funi will try to get the same VAs from the first series to reprise their roles because of the fanbase.

Loved the first episode. I was kinda shady on this at first, but I like how it's skipping all the character introductions... at least I hope. Ed and Al already know Armstrong, Hughes, Mustang, and Bradley. If they continue on that path without going through the whole exams again its like a sequel that's an alternate story.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

FMA is my all time favorite anime. I couldn't wait the 2-3 years it will take them to dub it and release it on DVD. Hell, they still haven't released a complete boxset for the previous series. I had to find someone on ebay that were selling all the individual DVDs as a package deal. X'D

I know, how ridiculous is that? First they release 4 episode discs individually, and it took a year to get to the final disc. Then they start with these starter packs, now they have complete seasons. They are just milking it for everything its worth.

I know, how ridiculous is that? First they release 4 episode discs individually, and it took a year to get to the final disc. Then they start with these starter packs, now they have complete seasons. They are just milking it for everything its worth.

and they wonder why anime sales arnt no where near that of how popular anime is

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Loved the first episode. I was kinda shady on this at first, but I like how it's skipping all the character introductions... at least I hope. Ed and Al already know Armstrong, Hughes, Mustang, and Bradley. If they continue on that path without going through the whole exams again its like a sequel that's an alternate story.

this series is a complete retelling of FMA and will follow the manga....the first FMA was an alternate story XD

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

The manga is long, each chapter is like 50+ pages or something... At least watching the anime will be a new experience for me. I've watched so many series, where I've already read the manga first and I know what is going to happen. But with the new FMA it'll be all new for me.

Ah remakes... Why the hell can't they just remake an anime that deserves it for once like Bastard! or Berserk? Why do we always get remakes of recent animes such as Hellsing and now FMA?

(I'm not mentioning the Guyver remake as that one was appropriate.

Life tastes like kittens. I like kittens!

Off Topic:

Berserk, Claymore (Episode 19 onwards), the list can go on ... I'd love to see them continue with Nana as well.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Well of course. I am actually surprised they bothered to continue it. There are thousands of manga out there that had been animated only to thirteen or twenty four episodes long. And that through that, the whole storyline gets cut up.

In one way its good because then every anime will end up like Naruto with slow paced fillers and yawn earning OPS.

:/

no offence.

But FMA was one of the BESTEST animes i have EVER SEEN! So I am secretly looking forward to whatever the second season has bought. XD XD XD

I beleive in my self, I beleive in my heart and most important of all I beleive in my destiny...

Well of course. I am actually surprised they bothered to continue it. There are thousands of manga out there that had been animated only to thirteen or twenty four episodes long. And that through that, the whole storyline gets cut up.

In one way its good because then every anime will end up like Naruto with slow paced fillers and yawn earning OPS.

:/

no offence.

But FMA was one of the BESTEST animes i have EVER SEEN! So I am secretly looking forward to whatever the second season has bought. XD XD XD

heh its not really a second season....its a remake that will follow the Manga storyline more closely jsut like they started with Hellsing Ultimate

eppyomega.png

is it just me or did they change up Ed's va to the guy that does Naruto?

I've had no time to check the credits has anybody else?

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Naah, I think they got the same people who did the original for Ed and Al at least ... I THINK!