Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Avatar The Last Airbender - Live Action movie directed by M. Night Shyamalan

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13906.html

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that director M. Night Shyamalan has chosen youthful karate star Noah Ringer to play Aang, the key role in the live action version of the popular Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Ringer will portray the 12-year-old Avatar and lead a cast of young actors that will reportedly also include Twilight’s Jackson Rathbone as Aang’s friend Sokka, a warrior from the South Pole’s Southern Water Tribe, Nicola Peltz (Deck the Halls) as Aang’s sister Katara, and singer Jesse McCartney as the Fire Nation’s villainous Prince Zuko. Judging from the fan reaction to the EW article, more than a few of the faithful are upset that the cast for The Last Airbender (as the film will be known to differentiate it from James Cameron’s unrelated science fiction epic, Avatar) won’t be more diverse.

Shyamalan will begin shooting the film early next year in Philadelphia before shifting to Greenland where much of the film will be shot. The Last Airbender is slated to debut on July 2nd, 2010 (see “The Last Airbender Release Set”).

I never watched Avatar The Last Airbender, but I heard the series was overall pretty good. Anyone seen the show? And are you insterested in seeing M. Night Shyamalan's vision of this?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

the cartoon series was suprisingly very good

nice humour; decent action, very solid storyline

very cool concept, and deeper meaning of fulfilling ones destiny and the costs of doing so

with a kick ass finally

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

live action is wrong

the series worked because it was a series, he learned from many masters, and his journey from boy to avatar is what made the show good,

plus the houmor and action,

sigpic1620_11.gif

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14156.html

The controversy over the casting of white actors to play Asian characters in M. Night Shyamalan’s live action Avatar: The Last Airbender, which began last year (see “The Last Airbender Casting”), continues to grow, with comic creators weighing in. Derek Kirk Kim wrote a long post for his blog last week, excoriating the decision and likening it to casting white actors to play black characters (which it is). He also quoted his collaborator Gene Yang (of American Born Chinese fame, with whom he’s doing The Eternal Smile for First Second) in the post with similar views.

While it’s unlikely that the director will recast the film at this stage, it seems likely that the film will receive a lot of unwanted attention and publicity for the decision, perhaps affecting its box office take. It’s slated for release in summer 2010.

Why would they cast white people to play asian characters? O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Well, they really never totally specified what ethnicity the chars were, but it was pretty obvious that they were Chinese given their calanders (from the library episode) so I guess they could get away with the white casting there. But personally I don't think a live action will really work anyway. As was meantioned before there's too much to be packed into an hour or two movie, plus it already had a good wrap-up so it can't really be post series and be that interesting.

btw am I the only one to notice the typo naming Katara Aang's sister when she's Sokka's? >.>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I are me.

air : chinese

fire : japanese

water : eskamo / inuit (not sure the correct term for the ethnicity)

earth : phillipino maybe ;p eastern asian but not the same as fire or air ;p

either way, a white cast did the voiceing ;p

but like i said, it wont work as a movie, way too much ground

sigpic1620_11.gif

You're right I don't think it will work at all as a live movie....Not only was it all white voicing but there's the fact that Avatar: The Last Airbender is actually an american made cartoon...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I are me.