Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Star Wars: The Old Republic (Revealed)

Sadly enough, though the concept interests me, this will flop. After watching the trailer and listening to what they were saying theres no way they can get half of the crap they said they'd have in it in. You'll looking at a pretty long and extensive beta to get all that in (which most publishers just aren't going to be to keen on) and working correctly (unless they pull a Blizzard and release a buggy game snd fix it as they go).

Also it doesn't even look like an MMO persay, atm it looks more like a D2 style of play (thats just now, when more footage and information is released that will most likely change).

More then likely I don't see this making it that far should it be released. WoW dominates the MMO market right now, so much so that Conan and Warhammer barely put a dent in it's player base (hell, most people I know that left for WAR came back to WoW within a month because of lack of things to do in the end game).

I could be wrong and this could be a break away hit but I'm skeptical it will actually do well. Plus I'm not hip on the everyone being a Jedi/Sith, kind of takes away the novelty of the lore and what not. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Strider Hiryu
Early mornings > Typing and spelling skills

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

it wont really dent WOW, unless it is released long time from now, and blizz is already developing a next gen MMO.

WoW didnt just raise the bar on mmo's it nucleared bombed the competition

what makes an mmo fun is the class and development system.

having everyone either a jedi or sith can be horde vs allience, but can they develop at least 8-10 unique play styles. ofc yo get the tank, the melee dps, the caster and the healer. but basing this on force lore, i cant see much diversity in a clas system

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

having everyone either a jedi or sith can be horde vs allience, but can they develop at least 8-10 unique play styles. ofc yo get the tank, the melee dps, the caster and the healer. but basing this on force lore, i cant see much diversity in a clas system

uh you never played KOTOR did you....they already have a solid class system they just have to imp it on a wider scale now

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

KOTOR had a very extensive character creation/level up system, with 9 different combination that I can remember, that's not counting which skill set you chose. They determined what attributes points you received most of to invest in per level, what feats you started with, and what you could obtain, how you fought, how much damage you could take/deal, what armor you could wear, among a few things.

There were 17 powers that as you chose to invest in, not only could they be more powerfull, but they changed almost entirely into a different power making around 51 different force powers.

BioWare has created some of the best level up systems I've ever seen, Just play KOTOR or Mass Effect. Character variety isn't going to be an issue. Its more along the lines of what Strider said.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I will give BioWare credit, their classes/skill sets/feat sets/powers outdo WoW on just about everything because of the detail put into it (remember Kite, KoToR was based off of D&D mechanics, you can't get any better then that. WoW has a good thing going for it but really their classes are bland and everyone follows the same build, theres no unique builds). The only thing BioWare has to worry about, as Epples pointed out, is implementing this class based system on a wider scale (something beyond what WoW has).

As I said it won't kill WoW, hell it won't even put a dent in the player base. Everyone will try it like they did WAR but I'm sure they won't give up WoW for good. Hell I quite WoW just before Wrath hit and am now playing FFXI and I'm debating about going back to WoW again. Then again thats just preference in playstyle but I like to try every little thing I can.

And technically WoW is just Everquest with different lore, if you look at the development team for WoW over half of them are from the original Everquests development team (hell two of the most well known team members, Tigole and Foror, were EQ addicts) so WoW didn't change the face of MMO's, it just modified the way people look at them now. One of my old friends (who player EQ and WoW religiously) told me he noticed more similarities and blatant copying in WoW then new mechanics between the two.

Again, I've been following this title since they announced it months ago but I'm skeptical about how it will do. My gut feeling says it'll flop (based on what I've learned so far in school and my knowledge of how publishers and the game industry work).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589