Sign in to follow this  
Myk JL

Can we (please) just declare Nintendo the winner of this generation's console war?

Seriously why didn't they just continue on with the Gamecube for another few years while trying to atleast make a console that could be considered next-gen.

I still think Nintendo should have focused on the DS as an entire gaming package. Instead of making the travesty that is the Wii, they could have made a system with attached touch screen that allows you to play DS games on your TV. That way, people could play the same games at home and on the go, and the better system (the DS) would have additional support. Touch controls > motion controls, and that puts them more in competition with the PC gaming market than the 360 / PS3 bloodbath that they have no chance of winning.

Tellah2.jpg

Brawl was the only reason I kept the Wii for so long. After a while though it lost its lackluster and had to go.

DX, it's the same with Zelda too. Zelda, Marip, and Metroid. For the past 20 years its been the same shit polished and re-stocked. I really had high hopes for nintendo but now sadly, they disasspointed me.

XBOX360 4 life!!! lmao

Twilight Princess was actually a really good game. I enjoyed it. Zelda is an old title but it's still awesome. It doesn't come out anywhere near as frequently as Mario, and all the spinoffs of Mario. I got my Wii real cheap from a friend that never used it. I bought it for the purpose of only playing Zelda and SSBB. Now that I have done that, I haven't touched it since

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I still think Nintendo should have focused on the DS as an entire gaming package. Instead of making the travesty that is the Wii, they could have made a system with attached touch screen that allows you to play DS games on your TV. That way, people could play the same games at home and on the go, and the better system (the DS) would have additional support. Touch controls > motion controls, and that puts them more in competition with the PC gaming market than the 360 / PS3 bloodbath that they have no chance of winning.
If Nintendo had focused on the DS as the entire gaming package I would have been still staying away from Nintendo. That Dual Screen thing is too irritating. They should have made a 3D Gameboy instead of that thing.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Something I agree with completely. I don't own a DS yet (will be getting one here shortly for the new Suikoden game) but I borrowed my friends awhile ago and was impressed with it's capabilities as a handheld system. Something like this would of gotten me to buy a DS a long time ago instead of waiting so long to consider it.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I've been looking around at various websites and were Nintendo had won awards in 2006 for its console design/innovation it really hasn't received much recognition for it since. Much of the titles that are getting awards seemed to be Xbox 360. I had an Xbox 360 and sold it because I lost interest in playing it but I really need to purchase it again.

If Nintendo had focused on the DS as the entire gaming package I would have been still staying away from Nintendo. That Dual Screen thing is too irritating. They should have made a 3D Gameboy instead of that thing.

Can you elaborate? How is dual screen "irritating"? It opens up twice the possibilities for games and cuts menu time in half.

What sort of 3D Game Boy do you have in mind? A...Virtual Boy?

Tellah2.jpg

Can you elaborate? How is dual screen "irritating"? It opens up twice the possibilities for games and cuts menu time in half.

What sort of 3D Game Boy do you have in mind? A...Virtual Boy?

I prefer to look at one screen & only one screen.

What I'd have in mind is something along the lines of a PSP, but instead of discs it uses cartridges.

Behold a DS that hooks up to a TV! Three screens to look at! And graphics worse than the Game Cube!

It sounds like one of the worst jokes I've ever heard.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I prefer to look at one screen & only one screen.

What I'd have in mind is something along the lines of a PSP, but instead of discs it uses cartridges.

Behold a DS that hooks up to a TV! Three screens to look at! And graphics worse than the Game Cube!

It sounds like one of the worst jokes I've ever heard.

Edit: Actually, the more I read your response the better I feel. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about; your entire post reeks of that. Complaining about graphical capabilities, and yet you suggest that your "PSP"-like system use cartridges instead of discs? PSP discs can hold 1.8 gigs of data, while DS cartridges have space for 256 MBs. Why do you think systems haven't used cartridges since the N64? If you want your 3D Game Boy, you'd better suggest it use discs, unless you're hoping for super short games.

Just because you prefer to look at one screen doesn't mean that's the better choice when it comes to gaming. How difficult is it to look at two screens that are right on top of each other? It makes total sense in terms of gaming evolution. Do you prefer to hit Start or some other button every time you want basic information? Yeah, that's fun.

Additionally, most Wii games don't have graphics any better than the Gamecube. If graphics were the main concern here, the Wii wouldn't be selling at all. The best titles on the Wii are on the Virtual Console--oh, and what are those? Right, games from the '80s and '90s. Games with amazing gameplay and mediocre graphics. Shocking.

And in the end, the major factor to keep in mind is the touch screen. I wasn't touting the dual screens as the main draw. You're the one who seems to be hung up on that facet. You also wouldn't be looking at three screens--where did you even get that from? If you hook something up to play through your TV, it plays through your TV screen. You don't get some magical third image appearing. What is one of the amazing new functionalities they added to the latest PSP? Gasp! Being able to play it on your TV. People like that sort of thing.

Touch screen functionality > motion control functionality. That was my point; that the Wii would have been better as a more DS-related console and focused on utilizing touch screen controls in a console format. I did find your post amusing, though. If you think my idea is a bad joke, I'll take that as a compliment. I'd be worried if I came up with something you thought was ingenious.

Edited by Saiel

Tellah2.jpg

Edit: Actually, the more I read your response the better I feel. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about; your entire post reeks of that. Complaining about graphical capabilities, and yet you suggest that your "PSP"-like system use cartridges instead of discs? PSP discs can hold 1.8 gigs of data, while DS cartridges have space for 256 MBs. Why do you think systems haven't used cartridges since the N64? If you want your 3D Game Boy, you'd better suggest it use discs, unless you're hoping for super short games.

Just because you prefer to look at one screen doesn't mean that's the better choice when it comes to gaming. How difficult is it to look at two screens that are right on top of each other? It makes total sense in terms of gaming evolution. Do you prefer to hit Start or some other button every time you want basic information? Yeah, that's fun.

Additionally, most Wii games don't have graphics any better than the Gamecube. If graphics were the main concern here, the Wii wouldn't be selling at all. The best titles on the Wii are on the Virtual Console--oh, and what are those? Right, games from the '80s and '90s. Games with amazing gameplay and mediocre graphics. Shocking.

And in the end, the major factor to keep in mind is the touch screen. I wasn't touting the dual screens as the main draw. You're the one who seems to be hung up on that facet. You also wouldn't be looking at three screens--where did you even get that from? If you hook something up to play through your TV, it plays through your TV screen. You don't get some magical third image appearing. What is one of the amazing new functionalities they added to the latest PSP? Gasp! Being able to play it on your TV. People like that sort of thing.

Touch screen functionality > motion control functionality. That was my point; that the Wii would have been better as a more DS-related console and focused on utilizing touch screen controls in a console format. I did find your post amusing, though. If you think my idea is a bad joke, I'll take that as a compliment. I'd be worried if I came up with something you thought was ingenious.

You asked for personal preference I gave you personal preference. I could have said an iPod Touch with actual gaming controls. You're just offended because I think the DS sucks. You want to call me ignorant for not knowing specs. Maybe I could do the same by stating the Game.Com had a Touch Screen back in the 90s so its nothing new.

Two screens walk into a bar. One wants to be felt up. And the other wants to be on top. Meh... Almost as bad of a joke as the DS. Yes I do like pause menus. They give me a breather when I'm in fast paced action. Two screens isn't just way too much; its just goofy.

Gamecube graphics are OK. Nintendo taking a step backwards graphic wise is what I was referring to.

Congrats on wanting whats basically a touch screen universal remote control. And I didn't have anything against playing hand held games on their tv. Gamecube had basically this with the Gameboy. What I found dumb was a game that needed somehow 3 screens in order to play.

Do I dare say your view on the touch screen is only your opinion because you hate Motion Controls.

And on a less rage-y and more related to the original post note: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/industry_news/22371/news/22371/nielsen_wii_gets_broader_.php

The Wii may be the top seller, but it is played the least. Interesting, but not surprising.

Yes please do get back on topic to the thread I made & not some goofy dream of the DS.

You asked for personal preference I gave you personal preference. I could have said an iPod Touch with actual gaming controls. You're just offended because I think the DS sucks. You want to call me ignorant for not knowing specs. Maybe I could do the same by stating the Game.Com had a Touch Screen back in the 90s so its nothing new.

I'm "offended" because you seem to have an undeserved opinion of the DS and my idea. I don't think you've actually played the DS. Your claim that two screens is "goofy" indicates such. It really seems like you saw the DS, developed an opinion of it, and then decided to argue it to the death without actually giving it a chance.

And I asked for your personal preference because you were so clearly sure my idea was terrible, you must have a better one yourself--yet you had initially suggested what sounded like a total flop product to begin with. Then, after clarification, you suggested a product that essentially can't exist. You see the issue here? You poorly criticize my idea, and offer no better solution. Why should I take criticism from someone who can't come up with anything better than "that's goofy"?

Obviously touch screens aren't new. But they're only now being successfully utilized in a wide array of technologies.

"Two screens walk into a bar. One wants to be felt up. And the other wants to be on top. Meh... Almost as bad of a joke as the DS. Yes I do like pause menus. They give me a breather when I'm in fast paced action. Two screens isn't just way too much; its just goofy."

Let me guess--you only play Madden games.

"Congrats on wanting whats basically a touch screen universal remote control."

Congrats on, once again, not knowing what you're talking about. Although a DS system that can also make coffee and set some mood lighting might have its place.

"Do I dare say your view on the touch screen is only your opinion because you hate Motion Controls."

This makes about as much sense as the rest of your responses. I don't like the motion controls on the Wii, I've admitted as much: but because they're sloppily implemented and typically make a game more difficult to play, not more fun. The touch screen shines in comparison because it usually improves gameplay; it does not deter from it. Other than that, I dare say you were reaching for a severely dim connection and did not find it here.

"What I found dumb was a game that needed somehow 3 screens in order to play."

And what I found dumb was your belief that a third screen image would magically appear. I haven't considered all the specs for this "goofy dream" of mine, but thanks for ensuring I won't look to you for suggestions.

"Yes please do get back on topic to the thread I made & not some goofy dream of the DS."

So, let me get this straight. Your complaints about my suggestion are 1) it will somehow require three screens (which it obviously would not) 2) it uses the DS, which is obviously a terrible system (yes, that's universally accepted) and 3) it's goofy

Well, I'm obviously beat.

...And because I'm 99% sure you won't realize it, that last line is dripping sarcasm.

Tellah2.jpg

picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=521
Hm... Interesting point.

Anyway my views are mine. I never claimed to be a know it all. My own view does not change how well any of the gaming devices sell. And IF any of us could build a gaming device chances are we wouldn't be hear to begin with.

This thread was never intended to be about handhelds. This thread is about whether or not Wii deserves to be called the Winner of this console war. That's the only topic that is on topic.

And IF any of us could build a gaming device chances are we wouldn't be hear to begin with.

Interesting thought, although all the game developers I know frequent message boards pretty often. Mostly because 1) they're tech and internet nerds and 2) they like to discuss this sort of thing. Maybe Ancient Clan, a heavily anime-based forum, wouldn't be their primary home, but it's silly to suggest someone with the capabilities to build a gaming device is somehow above message boards.

There are some pretty brilliant minds here, even, that I have faith could accomplish such a feat.

This thread was never intended to be about handhelds. This thread is about whether or not Wii deserves to be called the Winner of this console war. That's the only topic that is on topic.

I'd just like to point out that my initial post was on topic: I was commenting on how the Wii would have been better had it utilized touch controls instead of motion controls. You steered it towards handhelds specifically when you decided to bash the DS for no reason in your response: "If Nintendo had focused on the DS as the entire gaming package I would have been still staying away from Nintendo. That Dual Screen thing is too irritating. They should have made a 3D Gameboy instead of that thing."

Next time you want to get uppity about staying on topic, try to follow your own advice.

Now, DX, I believe your image is fully justified, and I am finished.

Tellah2.jpg