Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Struggling college students turn to food banks

article

SEATTLE - Just blocks from the University of Washington, a line of people shuffle toward a food pantry, awaiting handouts such as milk and bread.For years, the small University District pantry has offered help to the working poor and single parents in this neighborhood of campus rentals. Now rising food prices are bringing another group: Struggling college students.

"Right now, with things the way they are, a lot of students just can't afford to eat," said Terry Capleton, who started a Facebook group called "I Ain't Afraid to be on Food Stamps" when he was a student at Benedict College in South Carolina.

Some of the students are working their way through college with grants, loans and part-time jobs. Others are just reluctant to ask parents for more money.

"More and more, it's just the typical traditional student, about 18 to 22, that's feeling this crunch," said Larry Brickner-Wood, director of the Cornucopia Food Pantry at the University of New Hampshire.

"There's definitely been an increase in usage and demand. We're seeing more and more students that have never used the pantry before."

In the past year, the price of groceries has jumped nearly 5 percent, the highest increase in nearly two decades. The cost of some staples has shot up by more than 30 percent

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I understand how bad it is right now, I really do, but come on theres plenty of cheap things under $4 to buy at Market Basket. Hell burritos are 5 for $2. I make just enough to live and even I can get two weeks worth of food for under $40, in fact I payed $38 last time I went shopping two weeks ago. It's gas thats killing me and other people. I try car pool or avoid driving to save money and so far thats worked for me. Students don't even need to drive if they're living on campus and most of them have co-op jobs where they work wile going to college to get credits and money. My friend works in the Audio Video department for his school as his co-op job and makes $7.50 an hour, which sucks but at least it's money to buy food with.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Well, when you're making minimum wage at only 30 hours a week, that doesn't go very far. Espically since loans and grants also depend on what your parents make (until you have one degree or are 25). My mom works at WalMart and my dad was a teacher when I was in college. You think they could've afforded to help me out? Ha! Yet they still made too much for me to get a grant. I had to go with a loan when my scholarship ran out, which I am still paying back. Full time student, I didn't have a lot of extra time for a job, though I was lucky when living in the dorm b/c I always had the cafeteria to fall back on. But there a lot of colleges that only allow dorm living for the freshmen and softmores, simply because there is no room. So older students have to pay for apartments as well, and sometimes it becomes a choice of working extra hours and doing bad in class, or doing good in class and giving up things.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

student loans are financial rape to the folks I know who are trying to pay them off.

Is Market Basket like Aldis?

The problem with a lot of the cheap foods is poor nutritional value :/

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

student loans are financial rape to the folks I know who are trying to pay them off.

Is Market Basket like Aldis?

The problem with a lot of the cheap foods is poor nutritional value :/

Do you not have a Market Basket (DeMoulas)? They're the cheapest well known market place around the east cost. Walmart, Shop & Save, Kmart, Sears..etc are all petty expensive when it comes to practical things like bottle/jug water, tissues, toilet paper...etc. Thats why most people where I live stay away from them lol.

You're right though, most cheap things are bad for you but then again everything is pretty cheap at Market Basket except for meats and fishes and brand name products and when was the last time you saw a college kid eating nothing but good things :D.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Sign in to follow this