Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Lesbos locals lose lesbian appeal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7520343.stm

Three residents of the Greek island of Lesbos have lost an attempt to ban the use of the word "lesbian" to describe gay women.

The residents argued that using the term in reference to gay women insulted their identity.

But an Athens court ruled there was no justification for their contention that they felt slighted, saying the word did not define the islanders' identity.

Greeks often refer to the island as Mytilene, after its capital.

"This is a good decision for lesbians everywhere," Vassilis Chirdaris, lawyer for the Gay and Lesbian Union of Greece, told Reuters news agency.

Court expenses

The island's name was applied to gay women in acknowledgement of the female poet Sappho, who wrote love poems about both women and men in about 600 BC.

The man spearheading the case, publisher Dimitris Lambrou, had claimed that international dominance of the word in its sexual context violated the human rights of the islanders - who call themselves Lesbians - and disgraces them around the world.

He argued it caused daily problems to the social life of Lesbos's inhabitants.

But the court disagreed, ordering the plaintiffs to pay court expenses of 230 euros ($366), although they could appeal against the decision.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I can see how they don't care for the confusion but there is nothing wrong with being gay o.0

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

hee hee the island of lesbos and they don't like the word lesbian? I love lesbians. LOL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

Kinda sucks... Kinda doesn't... It's not like theirs tons of "nicknames" for Homosexual women. Now that would be really confusing.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

There are a few other names but lesbian is the techinical term we (me and my friends) throw around. However, I prefer Lesbian over the word gay. Gay isn't bad by anymeans, but I hear the word gay and I think gay man. I don't hear the word gay used to often to describe a woman who likes a women. I dunno. Lesbian is softer sounding though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

There are a few other names but lesbian is the technical term we (me and my friends) throw around. However, I prefer Lesbian over the word gay. Gay isn't bad by any means, but I hear the word gay and I think gay man. I don't hear the word gay used to often to describe a woman who likes a women. I dunno. Lesbian is softer sounding though.
I never thought the word Lesbian was an insult.

My only problem with the word gay is the other homosexual slang that has been popping up. Queens, Flamers, etc. I really only want to hear the word queen when referring to an actual woman of royalty. And since when was fire homosexual?

And I'm also upset that rainbows are now a gay pride symbol. I had preferred them to my childhood years when they lead to promises of fortune.

I'm not homophobic. Homosexuals deserve the same rights as others when it comes to politics. (IE Don't blame me they get kicked from XBL because of Microsoft's ToS.)

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

About the rainbow flag:

The original gay-pride flag was hand-dyed by Gilbert Baker. It flew in the San Francisco Gay Freedom Day Parade on June 25, 1978. (However, it was not the first time that spectrum or rainbow colors had been associated with gay and lesbian people.[citation needed]) The flag consisted of eight stripes; Baker assigned specific meaning to each of the colours as follows:

hot pink: sexualityred: lifeorange: healingyellow: sunlightgreen: natureturquoise: magicblue: serenityviolet: spirit

After the November 27, 1978, assassination of openly gay San Francisco City Supervisor Harvey Milk, demand for the rainbow flag greatly increased. To meet demand, the Paramount Flag Company began selling a version of the flag using stock rainbow fabric consisting of seven stripes of red, orange, yellow, green, turquoise, blue, and violet. As Baker ramped up production of his version of the flag, he too dropped the hot pink stripe due to the unavailability of hot-pink fabric. Also, San Francisco-based Paramount Flag Co. began selling a surplus stock of Rainbow Girls flags from its Polk Street retail store, which at the time was San Francisco's main gay neighborhood.

There is also a flag for Bi sexuals that came out in 1998 for Bi-sexuals, Bi-curious and pan sexuals. Other flags includes the Leather Pride flag, and the Family pride flag. You see these bumper stickers all over the city here in Phoenix. We also have our huge Gay Pride festival in April.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Sesshoumaru

fuck it yo nobody ownes a rainbow :P

One of my friends from school is a bett midler queen and he's good!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this