Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Day care operator plunges into burning school building to save 4-year-old

Atlanta woman insists she’s no hero

A fire broke out Wednesday morning at the day-care center, which she and her husband opened 36 years ago. Herrington and her staff rushed nine of the preschoolers out of the building, but then she realized that a 4-year-old boy was still inside. Without hesitation, Herrington broke in a window, crawled back into the building and inched through the smoke and flames to find him.

“She knocked [on] the door, and then she got a big ol’ stick and busted the window,” one of the children said. “She was trying to open the door, but she couldn’t.”

Herrington’s husband, Eugene, said she would never have done otherwise.

“She knew that one was missing. So she went back and called for that child by name,” Eugene Herrington said. “And he answered. Each time she called his name, he answered. And that’s how she found him, because the smoke was quite heavy and thick.”

The boy, identified as Davonte Lockhart, was nearly unconscious, and Herrington was burned.

“I don’t know how she did it,” said A.D. Bass, a neighbor, who helped pull Herrington and Davonte from the exit. “She just, by the grace of God, she came out with the child.”

:bigthumb: gives me hope to see people do extraordinarily great things under horrible circumstances!

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Atlanta woman insists she’s no hero

A fire broke out Wednesday morning at the day-care center, which she and her husband opened 36 years ago. Herrington and her staff rushed nine of the preschoolers out of the building, but then she realized that a 4-year-old boy was still inside. Without hesitation, Herrington broke in a window, crawled back into the building and inched through the smoke and flames to find him.

“She knocked [on] the door, and then she got a big ol’ stick and busted the window,” one of the children said. “She was trying to open the door, but she couldn’t.”

Herrington’s husband, Eugene, said she would never have done otherwise.

“She knew that one was missing. So she went back and called for that child by name,” Eugene Herrington said. “And he answered. Each time she called his name, he answered. And that’s how she found him, because the smoke was quite heavy and thick.”

The boy, identified as Davonte Lockhart, was nearly unconscious, and Herrington was burned.

“I don’t know how she did it,” said A.D. Bass, a neighbor, who helped pull Herrington and Davonte from the exit. “She just, by the grace of God, she came out with the child.”

:bigthumb: gives me hope to see people do extraordinarily great things under horrible circumstances!

She touched a 4 year old boy! Shes a perv! lol j/k, that was an amazing story lady.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Sign in to follow this